spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

watts3000

join:2002-01-21

looking for virtual phone number

Guys what are the best virtual phone number services out there we need something that can mainly forward to our cell and we need to use there voice mail. So what all companies do you guys recommend for this?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
If [that] is all you need, GoogleVoice.

watts3000

join:2002-01-21
I would rather go with a different company I had problems with google voice on my obi I ended up having to change our gv number.

hok

join:2002-02-27

1 edit
reply to watts3000
VoxOx offers free CA DID, forwarding to any telephone number in North America, and you can upload your own caller's tunes.

If you need WA DID(s), IPKall has them for free. You can forward to VoxOx via iNum SIP URI from VoxOx then forwarding to any telephone number in North America.

Similarly, if you need NY DID(s), Callcentric has them for free. You can also forward to VoxOx via iNum SIP URI from VoxOx then forwarding to any telephone number in North America.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to watts3000
But using GV just for voice mail and to forward to your cellphone does NOT involve an Obi at all. You need no ATA or other VoIP equipment.

Those two functions (forwarding and voicemail) are the [original] purpose of GV.

Obi came along later, and is a separate company, an interloper of sorts.

It's amazing how history has been distorted.

---------------------------------

Otherwise, if you want a forwarding-to-cellphone number you could also look at a VOIPO cloud number.
»www.voipo.com/cloudnumbers.php

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to hok
Hok, doesn't Voxox charge for the outbound leg of the call (the call being forwarded to a cellphone number, in this case)? Certainly everyone else does except GV.

Sooner or later, this fellow wants that call handed over to a cell or PSTN number....

hok

join:2002-02-27
No, it is free service, and we have been utilizing it for years and found very reliable.

Our setup is outbound via Google Voice or mobile phone, inbound via free DIDs forward via iNum SIP URI to VoxOx for simultaneously ringing IP phones and mobile phones.

Finally, this setup has been used for business for years.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Good to know, thanks.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:29
reply to watts3000
I don't know whether this affects your application, but be aware that all VoxOx calls:

1) won't pass DTMF, in either direction, and
2) have FAS (false answer supervision) on all calls, even iNum.

On a positive note, they have good caller ID spoofing options.

gbh2o

join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·VOIPO
·callwithus
reply to watts3000
I'm no longer sure what a virtual DID is... all VoIP seems virtual to me! Of course I use virtual PBX with DIDs to give me all sorts of flexibility. But to keep it simple:

I even use NetTalk to provide similar services (not even sure in which drawer I have some adapters hidden.) Just set auto-forward.

F9 or CheapVoipInc. DIDs in certain states may still be available for a one-time $10 setup fee. Outbound (forwarding/simul-ring) to other DIDs cost, but directing to SIP destinations is without additional cost.

VOIPo. Either 'Cloud Numbers' or "Express" services.

sarahportman

join:2012-10-31
reply to watts3000
Is GoogleVoice really good for virtual numbers or there are just some difficulties regarding the application?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
said by sarahportman:

Is GoogleVoice really good for virtual numbers or there are just some difficulties regarding the application?

Again, GoogleVoice was not designed (on Google's part) for use with anything like an Obi.

In its ORIGINAL design it works fine most of the time.

There are occasional outages, some folks wish that they could have the option of turning off the voicemail, and to reliably delete messages you often need to go online rather than do it on the phone....

But aside from that it seems to work pretty well. We have not seen massive numbers of complaints....