Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious

Re: [Security] MAC address filtering on AirPort Extreme

Like I said in the OP, I like to use multiple security measures to secure my Wi-Fi. I have a neighbor who I know is stealing Internet and he is stealing cable. If I find out he hacked into my Wi-Fi, I will prosecute.

If I use multiple measures (like the MAC filtering in addition to WPA2 and SSID hiding) then they'll have to break through multiple measures before they're in.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Understood. My point remains: if he's serious about breaking in, MAC filtering is no hindrance. If he's not, it's not necessary. Just sayin'

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff to IowaCowboy

MVM,

to IowaCowboy
You use one layer of security and two layers of annoyance. Annoying for you and your users, not a hacker. MAC address filtering and hidden SSID can be bypassed in under 30 seconds. WPA2 is the only thing actually protecting your network.

If you still want to make your life harder for some reason, you can download the older version of Airport Utility (version 5.6. Just do a google search). It has MAC filtering. Not sure if the new one does.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

MAC address filtering and hidden SSID can be bypassed in under 30 seconds. WPA2 is the only thing actually protecting your network.

I thought MAC address filtering was pretty secure because the AP ignores all except those MAC addresses in your access list. This is not correct? Also, I am using "WPA2 Personal" is that the same as WPA2 security wise?
said by Thinkdiff:

.... Airport Utility (version 5.6. Just do a google search). It has MAC filtering. Not sure if the new one does.

Yes the latest updated one 6.10.31 does have MAC filtering. They put it back. I was using 5.6, but now the new one has the facility. Looks like 5.6 is becoming useless. I recently installed an AirPort Express to run AirPlay, and 5.6 will not work with it at all.

Bootes
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
New York, NY

Bootes

Premium Member

It's fairly easy to set your MAC address to whatever you want and it's also possible to view what the AP and computer are saying to each other and get the computer's MAC address from that. So it really does nothing.

Yes, WPA2 Personal is fine. Enterprise is better, but it's overkill for most people. »www.enterprisenetworking ··· WLAN.htm

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
said by TamaraB:

I thought MAC address filtering was pretty secure because the AP ignores all except those MAC addresses in your access list. This is not correct?

Read the article I linked to in my first post above for the gory details why MAC address filtering is useless.

Squirrelly
join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

I use all three as well but I use MAC Filtering so I can always have certain devices always have the same IP like my server, set top boxes, etc.

Like someone said WPA2 is the best you can use, hiding the SSID just makes it harder for the average person.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Squirrelly:

I use all three as well but I use MAC Filtering so I can always have certain devices always have the same IP like my server, set top boxes, etc.

You can do Static Assignments without using MAC filtering.
said by Squirrelly:

Like someone said WPA2 is the best you can use, hiding the SSID just makes it harder for the average person.

That's the thing.. The average person isn't going to be breaking into your WPA2 protected network. "Breaking" (really, brute forcing) WPA2 takes time, enormous computing power, and a pretty good understanding of what you're doing. Somebody that has all that, can get your SSID in a matter of seconds.

Here's the breakdown of how I cracked my own WPA2 network w/ hidden SSID and MAC filtering (just for fun):
Hidden SSID - found in ~10 seconds
MAC Address of approved computer - found in ~5 seconds
Changing my MAC address to match - 5 seconds
Waiting to collect the right packet to brute force WPA - around 15 minutes
Brute forcing WPA - 5 days straight, on 3 separate computers (16 cores total) and I knew it was an all numeric password of a certain length (cutting the computation time down significantly).

Squirrelly
join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

You are correct that you can do it with static IP, however with a cable set top box if the power goes out I have to set it back up again. This prevents me from having to do this.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I meant you can do static assignments in the AirPort Extreme. The client devices still use DHCP, but they always pull the same IP address based on their MAC address. MAC filtering isn't required for this to work.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

said by Thinkdiff:

I meant you can do static assignments in the AirPort Extreme. The client devices still use DHCP, but they always pull the same IP address based on their MAC address. MAC filtering isn't required for this to work.

FYI, in airport utility it is referred to as DHCP reservations instead.