Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to mariod

Premium Member

to mariod

Re: [Rant] Holmes on Homes

said by mariod:

It doesn't matter. They'll all be re-calibrated to the widest audience possible since they have to compete for a la carte dollars. Which means they'll all turn into broadcast network television and sports.

When you say things like "the channels I watch are all going off the air", it certainly does matter.

So I'll ask once again, how do you know the channels I watch and that they all are going off the air?

The other possibility, which runs completely counter to what you assert, and is a possible outcome that has been verified by a couple of studies (studies funded outside the bias of the cable industry), is that the channel offerings can get more diverse. The reasoning was that the money that is not being spent on unwanted mass-interest channels (like the very expensive sports channels) is now spent on more specialized channels.

Additionally, the dire scenario you paint has already occurred under the present business model. Expensive sports programming has taken over a large part of the channel slots and the monthly bill, even for those who do not want it. The Learning Channel has changed from a very good channel to a chewing gum for the brain reality channel. Ditto for Discovery Channel. And the two History channels are moving in the same direction.

So I say, let's try a different model to see it it brings back better offerings.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

1 recommendation

mariod

said by camper:

So I'll ask once again, how do you know the channels I watch and that they all are going off the air?

Try reading my post again since it flew over your head the first time.

Or your own post.
said by camper:

The Learning Channel has changed from a very good channel to a chewing gum for the brain reality channel. Ditto for Discovery Channel. And the two History channels are moving in the same direction.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by mariod:

said by camper:

Try reading my post again since it flew over your head the first time.

Or your own post.
said by camper:

The Learning Channel has changed from a very good channel to a chewing gum for the brain reality channel. Ditto for Discovery Channel. And the two History channels are moving in the same direction.

The Learning Channel did not go off the air. Nor did Discovery and the History channels.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod

How about a third attempt at reading my post and understanding it? Here's a hint, check out the word "or" in my sentence, it's a miracle worker.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by mariod:

How about a third attempt at reading my post and understanding it? Here's a hint, check out the word "or" in my sentence, it's a miracle worker.

You posted:

Until you realized that the channels you chose to watch are all off the air because not enough people chose to subscribe to them.

Or that they all tailored their program to generic broad audiences while cancelling the shows you watch now.

You post has two parts explaining what would happen if the cable companies go to an a la carte subscription model:

• you state that all the channels I watch could all go off the air

• you state that the channels would tailor their programs to generic broad audiences and cancel the shows I watch now.

You also have an "or" between those two statements. OK so far?

For the first part, I merely asked how you knew what channels I watch and how do you know that all those channels would go off the air. So far, you have avoided answering those two simple questions. Please feel free to explain how you know the channels I watch.

For part #2. I agree, with you. However, the channels are already moving towards appealing to generic broad audiences. Indeed, I even gave you some examples. Since this trend is already happening within the non-a-la-carte subscription model, your comment that it will happen under the a la carte does nothing to support any assertions you've made.