Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
reply to rradina

Re: 2 Waynes in North Las Vegas

said by rradina:

I looked up the name mentioned in the article. There are two that go by this name. I geocoded both addresses. There doesn't appear to be anything special about the LAT/LON numbers. One of the addresses is:

LAT: 36.250866 LON: -115.163670

When I first read the article, I thought the LAT/LON of North Las Vegas was at whole number coordinates and a truncation issue was causing loss of precision. However, there doesn't appear to be anything significant about the coordinates of either address or, for that matter, any address in North Las Vegas.

The coordinates may be in a projected coordinate system. There are literally thousands in use, and phone companies are infamous for using their own coordinate systems or using outdating systems (for example, 1927 latitude/longitude is different from 1983, which is different from 1984) that are then reprojected.
It might even be that Sprint is using a coordinate system whose origin is right at that location. Any coordinates that come back as 0,0 would then direct straight to his house.
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher