@verizon.net

BCer

Anon

Parksville

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

It depends on if you are using a ADSL2+ or VDSL2 port.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

2 edits

spock8 to BCer

to BCer
Telus offers optik in parksville according to their website

I wonder if this thing is junk

»www.ebay.com/itm/Versa-X ··· 27072a4f

*** edit

sorry that thing looks like its a point to point vdsl2 modem

BCer
@verizon.net

BCer

Anon

"Telus offers optik in parksville according to their website"

Telus does offer Optik in most of Parksville.. but not on my street. I keep checking with them every 6 months or so on when it might be available. The only thing they have to say about it is that it won't be anytime soon. What's surprising about that is that Shaw offers both Cable TV and 50Mbps broadband on this same street. You would think that Telus would get off their butt and do something to compete with that. All they offer is 15Mbps DSL.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

Why not bridge the V1000 and use your own router to set the DNS?
BCer
join:2013-01-17
Parksville, BC

4 edits

BCer

Sindows7,

Your idea would be the easiest solution. The reason I haven't attempted this is because of the mixed results I have read from others on this forum who attempted bridging the V1000h and ended up screwing up everything. Perhaps those who did have problems bridging just didn't know what they were doing. In any case.. I would now like to go ahead and try it. Correct me if I'm wrong.. but doesn't bridging the V1000h require the assistance of Telus? And just how enthusiastic can I expect them to be about helping me do this?
Mike_C
join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Mike_C

Bridging is unsupported as the default Telus firmware on the Actiontec does not allow it. Telus won't help you install the unsupported third party firmware either.

As for Unblock-Us, I ran into a problem with it's DNS settings on my Cisco router. For whatever reason my Android tablet gave a lot of errors after loading the Netflix app when trying to connect through Unblock-Us. After pulling the custom DNS off my router and adding it to the advanced settings on my tablet directly, it worked fine. Not sure if the Kindle Fire HD will have the same issue.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to BCer

Premium Member

to BCer
»Actiontec V1000H NCS firmware with A2pv6C035f.d22c DSL PHY

that firmware works great and I have been running bridge mode for weeks with no problems at all
BCer
Parksville, BC

BCer

Thanks for the info Mike_C and Sindows7.

Telus pushed it's .57 FW into my V1000h some weeks ago. Safe to say that bridging is not possible with that in place. So if I try loading the hacked fw package that Sindows recommends, and things don't go well, is there a chance that I might brick this thing?

Jeepers. It shouldn't be this difficult to simply gain the ability to set your own DNS. What a nightmare.

A brand new Actiontech DSL Gateway can be purchased for $59 from Amazon. I wonder if it would work with Telus DSL.

»www.amazon.com/Actiontec ··· ntec+784

zajacz
join:2002-09-21
Calgary, AB

zajacz

said by BCer:

Telus pushed it's .57 FW into my V1000h some weeks ago. Safe to say that bridging is not possible with that in place....

I'm confused. I've read that others say that bridging with the .57 FW works exactly the same as with the .55 FW. Are you doing something wrong/different from the others that have gotten it to work?
BCer
Parksville, BC

1 edit

BCer

zajacz,

As far as I know, you cannot bridge the Actiontec V1000h with the default Telus firmware on-board. At least that seems to be the general consensus. If you know otherwise, please give us all specifics on how to do so.

zajacz
join:2002-09-21
Calgary, AB

zajacz

BCer,

When you say you have tried to bridge the Actiontec V1000h with the default .57 Telus firmware, how did you attempt to do it?
d25m03p
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Abbotsford, BC

d25m03p to BCer

Premium Member

to BCer
said by BCer:

A brand new Actiontech DSL Gateway can be purchased for $59 from Amazon. I wonder if it would work with Telus DSL.

»www.amazon.com/Actiontec ··· ntec+784

If you have the Optik package, then this router from Actiontec will probably NOT work as the Optik DSL is a VDSL, and not ADSL.