spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hellofromme
join:2012-11-20
Fairfield, OH

hellofromme

Happy Day, I think.

I received a firmware push that downloaded this morning. The guide response seems to have improved immensely. Please pinch me in case I'm dreaming. So far, so very good.

The transparency factor on the guide also seems to have become more see through. I'm hoping I'm not imagining.
jackal40
join:2013-01-16

jackal40

Sadly, I don't see any difference after the update.

In addition, I can no longer watch TV through my media center. Since CableCard is not available in my area - I'm looking into switching to TW for my TV.

Not impressed with the TV side of Fioptics.

Cadfix
@fuse.net

Cadfix to hellofromme

Anon

to hellofromme
Received a software update in Independence, KY today also. Response time may have improved marginally, but still poor for many functions. Try using the search function to find a program to record. The screen generally lags by several button pushes while spelling out the name, and as I was testing it, the screen returned to the main Menu for no apparent reason. In addition, instant replay or "Skip Back" still doesn't work. I quit testing after that.
jackal40

jackal40 to hellofromme

to hellofromme
Well, just got off the phone with support.
Reset the modem, reset the cable box, same thing is happening - "Everything looks good on our end, maybe you should wait a few days and see if this clears up."

Since there is no CableCard support in my area and this no longer works with an analog solution (component cables to S-Video on tv card), I will be looking for another digital TV provider.
hellofromme
Fairfield, OH

hellofromme

Yes, I definitely got a little bit "glass is half full" on this one. By after dinner TV watching time, I was really back in the swamp again. Since it seemed to bottom out when the users maxed out I'm wondering if a server upgrade would improve the problem.

Put one of those jumbo, bigger, faster, smarter servers in to get things handled? Last night was actually one of my worst. Jumped completely off of track and kept saying it was logging in to something that took over 10 minutes to right itself.

This guide software issue has really become one of the major problems.
jackal40

jackal40 to hellofromme

to hellofromme
Today wasn't much better, and the wife is pissed. Guide stops responding after paging down twice, box receives (light blinks) remote codes to go to specific channel - but it does nothing.
hellofromme
Fairfield, OH

hellofromme

Right on, jackal40. The wife test becomes very crucial at some point. In case CB doesn't know this: If mamma ain't happy...

Yeah, business as usual on my end, too. Freezes, possible dead ends when going anywhere in the guide. Channel changes can sink the whole ship.

As of this morning, I'm testing about 6 on a 20mbps internet line with pings above 100. Uggggh.
jackal40

jackal40 to hellofromme

to hellofromme
Trying to do some additional troubleshooting on this issue, from what I can figure out it seems they have activated analog copy protection. While I haven't gotten a tech to admit it, I am unable to watch TV using the component video connection when connected to my PC (Windows Media Center) and my VCR.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to resolve this?
CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

I checked on a ZTE STB which has the recent update and the component video outputs are still working correctly.
jackal40

jackal40

If you connect them to a TV, yes. Connecting them to a TV Tuner card on a PC, no.

How were you testing them?
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

I checked on a TV but these are simple analog systems - no HDCP on component connections.
jackal40

jackal40 to hellofromme

to hellofromme
HDCP no, but there is Macrovision type copy protection on the component connections.
Connected to a TV, it works fine. Connect to a TV Tuner card, VCR, DVD burner, etc and it does not.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet to jackal40

to jackal40
Macrovision could be stripped out - it is pretty useless.

Have you seen it on a 'scope?
jackal40

jackal40 to hellofromme

to hellofromme
No, don't have access to a scope.
Honestly, Macrovision was a bad example - instead, it acts like the copy never broadcast flag. I get picture with sound for about 2 secs, then nothing. If I unplug the video cable, sound returns. Then plug in the video cable, picture for 2 secs - then nothing again.
hellofromme
Fairfield, OH

hellofromme

Last night was the absolute bottom of the barrel. The whole system crashed (at least for some of us) right in the middle of prime time.

BLLLAAAAH. Happened with regular cable two or three times in twenty years.

Sorta working OK this morning, but my 40mbps total has slid down again to 15. I'm supposed to have 20mbps on the internet, but my speed test as of this morning is 6.7! Maximum available is 52 but apparently it's not coming my way. Have another tech visit scheduled but they are starting to act like they are going to shoot me if they can't find the problem. I've been told several times that the problem may be inside the house which will start off with me being given an estimate on how much that would be. They can't seem to diagnose anything about the system that is helpful, so why should I trust them to decide it's in the house and my dime?

I am also getting an audio problem this morning, but it probably means my optical cable has been shattered with all the rearranging and testing going on. I'm surprised there's anything left of my power cables at this point with all the reboots I've been doing.

Heck, I just want a night of TV without hassle, and a reliable internet.
Is that too much to ask?