how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

davids

join:2013-01-16
Plainfield, NJ

[DVR] Unsupported eSATA External Hard drive Solution and Questio

I was having trouble connecting a 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 to the QIP 7232 2. I only bought that size drive because Verizon states there is no maximum size. When I connected the eSATA cable it would ask me if I wanted to "Accept" the drive but then it would not appear under "Main Menu / DVR /Recorder Status". After a lot of other trouble shooting I used the "Set Capacity" feature of Seagate SeaTools for DOS to manually set the size of the drive. After I did this it worked with the DVR right away.

To use SeaTools the drive must be connected to the motherboard SATA controller so it had to be taken out of the enclosure. In the tool you have to manually set the size however it does not tell you the units. I eventually figured out that it is in units of 512 byte blocks. I set it to 3,906,250,000 which, after setting, SeaTools reports as a 2 TB disk but is actually 1862GB. The real size of the disk is 5,860,533,167 logical blocks.

I put the disk back into the enclosure and as a diagnostic connected to my Linux workstation via USB 2. Linux now only sees it as a 1024GB disk (2^31 - 1 logical blocks x 512 bytes / block). Prior to the SeaTools Linux saw the whole 3000.593 GB disk. More importantly, I don't know what size is being detected by the DVR.

Does anyone know a way to get the DVR to report on the size of the external disk?

Assuming I can confirm the DVR is now seeing the disk as 1,862GB my next step is to figure out the maximum value that the drive can be set in SeaTools and still have the drive properly detected.

Any other advise would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

davids

Plainfield, NJ

Re: [DVR] Unsupported eSATA External Hard drive Solution and Que

Update:
When I went back in to SeaTools to try to tweak the size I realized that the largest capacity value it would set on the disk is 2147483647 blocks which roughly equates to a 1TB drive. Even though this allowed the drive to work with the DVR I'm sure it could not have been able to use more than that 1TB which is too wasteful for a 3TB disk. I decided to RMA the disk and use an old 750GB spare that I have instead.

Thanks

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA
reply to davids

it's beensaid in here by ? DAVE ? the tech IIRC that the DVR uses OS2 ,if this true, then 2TB is max. and there are no options on their gui. I loose my external drive from time to time, and it's apain and this is a 2TB

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to davids

Max size of the external storage is 2TB

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

yea max is 2tb....also if you buy the western digital one, get an extrea esata cable. the one that comes with the drive is flakey

davids

Plainfield, NJ
reply to davids

I've read elsewhere about 2TB drives being recognized but then based on how many additional hours of recording is gained it's speculated that only partial capacity is available (maybe 750GB or 1TB).

From what I can gather there's no direct way to determine the real amount. I wish there was some way to get the DVR to report what it sees as the capacity of the attached external drive in bytes.

BTW my old 750GB Seagate ST3750330AS worked perfectly as soon as it was connected.

For reference I am using it with these other components:
StarTech.com 3FT Shielded External ESATA Cable M/M
Macally 3.5 inch SATA to USB2.0/ESATA Hard Drive Enclosure

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
reply to davids

I've tried a few drives at 2TB. Not a lot of success with playback as there were way too many video hiccups. I can only recommend the FiOS approved WD and it is only 1TB. I have two of them working nicely.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

Are you one of the lucky ones that was able to get the WD cable to work or did you purchase a separate one

davids

Plainfield, NJ

My kit only included a USB cable. I separately bought the StarTech.com 3FT Shielded External ESATA Cable M/M and did not have any issues with it. I've also read about the 6' version of that same cable working but as a general rule shorter is better.

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
reply to nyrrule27

Both my WD's had cables that do work. Although I did purchase two as a just in case. The second WD cable is more "thick" so it seems to fit better but eSATA connections in general are a bad design.