uniqs
praetoralpha
join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA

praetoralpha to chrisretusn

to chrisretusn

Re: How to stay safe?

said by chrisretusn:

I had a similar problem with my kids, mostly one of my daughters. She would routinely get her laptop infected.

You may not like my solution, but it works for me. I removed Windows from her laptop and installed Linux. She grumbled at first, but she really did not have any other choice, if she wanted to continue to use the laptop at home. She is happy now, I am very happy now. It been over two years now, no infections. That was also when I decided on a new rule in my house. Windows is not allowed.

I did this with my parents computer on an insane idea. It has worked really well for almost 3 years.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I hope it wont come to that.. well I handed over the computer to him so I'm going to see how long this lasts, no script works really well as well as adblock, using AVG for security.

I will tell you one thing.. I may of ran my system on a 60GB Chronos drive which is no intel but man does a Sata hard drive feel super slow now :-/

I'm stuck on my HTPC computer right now with a 80GB Samsung Sata which is not 3.0GB/s

Debating if I want to throw Win 8 on it for testing

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to praetoralpha

Premium Member

to praetoralpha
Yeah, I am considering doing the same for my Mom next time I visit.

In addition to my house, I also "on an insane idea" , converted our clubs computer to Linux. Our bookkeeper wasn't to excited the first time she sat down at the computer, but it been a little over six months now and she does the job with no complaints. Our CPA was a bit more resistant. She still grumbles a bit, but did the last quarterly audit with out complaint. The real test will be the end-of-year audit.

We switched primarily because we have an old computer, it was running a bootleg version of XP. This has always bothered me. We don't have the funds to pony up for a more up to date computer or Windows, so Linux was our next best option.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Using AVG for security.

Dump AVG and switch to Avast!. I used to install AVG on machines I cleaned, but had the same problem you're seeing, they came back every other month. Install Avast! and if it gets infected wait a day or two, update Avast! and run a scan.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
No script will be shut off after the first day. It is not for casual users.