share rss forum feed

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to gunther_01

Re: [Bus. Ops] Are you an Wireless ISP looking for more revenue?

I wasnt getting at that. I just cant understand why you seem to be taking it almost personally when as you say you have nothing to do with them.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

said by TomS_:

I wasnt getting at that. I just cant understand why you seem to be taking it almost personally when as you say you have nothing to do with them.

I've kept out of this topic so far because I can see it being a fine line, but there were direct attacks towards gunther_01 after he did admit to using it, and I can absolutely understand why he has been forced to be defensive about it.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

I don't see any direct attacks against anyone even after rereading the thread.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to jcremin

To be fair, unwired also said they used it, but they left it at that and were never mentioned or quoted afterwards.

gunther_01 posted 3 times before anyone quoted him (yeah, I was the first, and it was a joke hence the big grinning smiley) and the 2nd and 3rd posts were basically defence defence defence.

edit: actually I see bburley quoted some text before me, but not using the quote tags, so I missed it

Its only natural that he has been picked on when he has been so vocal, just has people have hit back at me because Ive been somewhat vocal too. But this is adult discussion, we are all professionals, and no one is deliberately trying to be insulting towards anyone... right?

It has been a heated discussion, the most heated I have been involved in in the WISP forum that is for sure! Clearly this is a big issue to everyone involved, and from all sides of the fence.

jcremin

Siren, WI

said by robbin:

I don't see any direct attacks against anyone even after rereading the thread.

said by TomS_:

gunther_01 posted 3 times before anyone quoted him and the 2nd and 3rd posts were basically defence defence defence.

I don't plan to get any more involved in this thread other than to say that I thought the first few replies were more explanatory than anything. I think the line may have been crossed when his actual privacy policy was posted and analyzed. That would have gotten me defensive too.

I can see a bit of defense in the posts even before that happened, but I also see a bit of over-reacting from some people too and it could easily have been construed as an attack on those who do use this product.

Sure, the concerns may be valid, but there's nothing to say that the same thing couldn't happen when using ANY 3rd party DNS, and nobody seems to have a problem with recommending Google's public DNS, or Level 3's DNS, etc.

That's all.....

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

said by jcremin:

I think the line may have been crossed when his actual privacy policy was posted and analyzed. That would have gotten me defensive too.

Sorry -- I don't buy it. If a member includes a link to their business by way of a sig in every post they make, then that information is fair game.

jcremin

Siren, WI

said by robbin:

said by jcremin:

I think the line may have been crossed when his actual privacy policy was posted and analyzed. That would have gotten me defensive too.

Sorry -- I don't buy it. If a member includes a link to their business by way of a sig in every post they make, then that information is fair game.

I'm not saying he was trying to hide it... Just saying that it turned personal at that point and he had every right to defend his practice if he feels it is appropriate, just like you (or anyone else) has a right to defend their position. If one person is supposed to drop it, why aren't you? (and the word "you" is not directed at anyone specific, but at everyone in this case)

I haven't taken a stance for or against the practice, and I suggest everyone get over it. Ok, some are for it and think it is okay. Some are against it and don't think it is okay. Both sides are getting a bit aggressive and that's the point in which this topic becomes useless.