how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wizkid6

join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

Question about U-Verse

Why did AT&T leave all of central Alabama stuck on dog-slow, circa-2003 speed DSL? Why no IP-DSLAM?

Is central Alabama (including Auburn-Opelika) going to be part of the upgrades that they announced earlier?

Why don't they offer the 18mpbs service over plain old ATM-based ADSL? After over-provisioning for overhead?

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

Are you serviced by a cable company that offers decent speeds at a better rate than uverse? If so, that may be one of the reasons why AT&T hasn't expanded uverse into your area. Up here in Birmingham AT&T has (for the most part) not upgraded areas serviced by Charter. This is just my personal observation from house hunting here about a year ago. I must have looked at well over twenty properties and not a one was serviced by both.

WheelMan6

join:2002-10-12
Stockbridge, GA

Here in Georgia my family just switched from Charter to Uverse, so it's strange if Uverse isn't serving Charter areas in Alabama.

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

I seem to recall that AT&T was pretty slow to roll out uverse here in Birmingham. So I guess it would make sense to target areas that don't already have access to highspeed internet via the cable company first.

Honestly, I've been somewhat shocked at the disinterest AT&T and Charter seem to have in competing with each other here. For example, AT&T services my neighborhood and Charter currently has no plans to expand into it. Both of the Neighborhoods surrounding mine are serviced by Charter and AT&T has no plans to expand uverse into either of them.

Anyway, I just tossed this out there as one possible reason AT&T hasn't expanded uverse into the area where the OP lives. There are a ton of other reasons AT&T might have passed on doing upgrades in the area.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to wizkid6

said by wizkid6:

Why don't they offer the 18mpbs service over plain old ATM-based ADSL?

Because "plain old ATM-based ADSL" is only capable of a max sync of 8192/896. My old SBC-issue Siemens SpeedStream connected on my new ADSL2+ line at 8192/896 when I hooked it up; the DSLAM will fall back to ADSL if that is all the modem can handle.

It requires ADSL2+ to sync higher (my Sonic.net-issue Pace (formerly 2Wire) 4111N-030 syncs at 17899).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

Wizkid6 you don't want IP-DSLAM, its the bastard step-child of ADSL. I have IP-DSLAM and there is an outage every other day. When I call tech support all they can say is the outside wiring is very old and there isn't much they can do. What makes it worse is I can't go back to DSL. They say its better but I am still waiting on the better part to show up. I need internet for work, the cable company doesn't service my location so I'm limited to AT&Ts IP-DSLAM.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by nrobot80:

Wizkid6 you don't want IP-DSLAM, its the bastard step-child of ADSL.

It is not. What makes it "IP-DSLAM" has little to do with whether it is ADSL (older, obsolete version), ADSL2+, or VDSL (both are newer versions, either is used for IP-DSLAM).

I have IP-DSLAM and there is an outage every other day. When I call tech support all they can say is the outside wiring is very old and there isn't much they can do.

If the outside plant is old, it may be less able to sustain the newer versions of DSL. This isn't the fault of the type of DSL, but of the corporation's unwillingness to perform necessary maintenance. There is a lot AT&T could do about it, given an incentive to perform necessary repairs.

There is a difference between "can do" and "will do".
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum