how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ckweb

join:2013-01-14
reply to Canezoid

Re: [Home Network] Home Networking > Westell 327w VersaLink as W

Lol, we're both doing the same thing then, cool!

I have already ordered a netgear wireless gateway that I plan to use with the Comcast connection when I get it, so I'll be covered there. I know I can get a regular modem (no router) from their office if it packs up for any reason.

The Westell was a free gift, so I want to put it through its paces and see what it's worth; I heard that these we're solid performers back in their day.

I had three Linksys routers stop working right, one was a gateway from a previous Comcast connection I had some years back. That one works, but the wifi's gone. I'm kind of working with other brands for that reason, for now anyway (hence the netgear gateway I ordered).

I also got a netgear wireless router a while back, but the power adapter I had was the wrong size tip. When I ordered another adapter, supposedly the size tip I needed, it came with exactly the same adapter tip! So now I'm either going to get another router that has ereything, either on craigslist or ebay..

I'm just doing this as a proof of concept, especially since it's so easy to configure on the Verizon DSL gateway, so I decided to throw my hat in the ring (not by myself, though!).

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I use a Netgear N300 wnr200v2 w/a Netgear 624 config'd as a repeater upstairs, they work great.

The Versalink was a solid piece of equipment, I still have mine in the drawer from my dsl days. Easy to configure, has/had a great UI and just plain worked. Now, 3801 for Uverse and a Moto sb6120 DOC3 cable modem that I've had for a while. 12M tier on Uverse, runs fine, on Performance tier w/ Comcast which is 16/2 flat rate, powerboost tests steady 25/4, no probs.

ckweb

join:2013-01-14
said by Canezoid:

I use a Netgear N300 wnr200v2 w/a Netgear 624 config'd as a repeater upstairs, they work great.

So for Comcast, you recommend Netgear's N300 WNR200 v2, right?

I ordered a CG814WG on eBay when I first posted on the Westell, but the seller has refused to receive my payment and wnats to cancel the order. It was a low-end bid, so I'm still needing to replace my cable modem.. I'll compare features and prices on both cable devices, but I'm sure what you're using is much newer, and more $$, too..lol!

My Internet speed is very modest as well, so that's a factor for now due to the low price I pay per month

Also, I managed to revive an old apple laptop by installing an OS onto a dying hd plugged via USB, just so that I could have some wifi..argh! But it's working for now, so I've slowed down in my quest for the west(ell) to work, for now!

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Yeah, works fine.