All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jackal40
join:2013-01-16

jackal40

TWC In Cincinnati-Better Than Fioptics?

I'm a current CB Fioptics customer, who is frankly P.O.d at the TV service. I'm considering changing to TW and am looking for Cincinnati area reviews.

Alos, I'm intending to go with a CableCard for my Home Theater - how's the support on those as well?

Thanks!

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

TWC is pretty good with CableCARD's in my division. I use the Ceton InfiniTV4 and activating the card is pretty easy. You do need a Tuning Adapter for SDV channels, but those work pretty well. However, TWC sets the CCI bit to 0x02 (Copy Once) on all but the local and a couple of other channels, so you can only use WMC for CableCARD. Any other CableCARD recording solution (MythTV, XBMC, SageTV, etc) cannot record TWC content. You can stream the content to an Extender like Xbox 360 or Ceton Echo. I have been using it and it works well, but I did have an issue of it losing channels, but a call to the CableCARD hotline fixed it.

TWC has a CableCARD hotline which is included in your self install kit. Use that number instead of local support, but if you call the local number then use Tier 3 support, as those people know how to activate it.
jackal40

jackal40

Thanks for the info, I'm reconsidering which provider to use given the lack of CableCard support in XBMC.

I may just scrap cable all together.

Anonimity
@rr.com

Anonimity

Anon

You may want to consider that TWC-Cincinnati will impose equipment restrictions that may not be to your liking...

TWC-Cincinnati requires that you can only use their DVR equipment that is considered proprietary and uses a special M-Card. I am a TWC customer and have used their older model Scientific Atlanta (Cisco) 8240HDC DVR for the past several years. TWC has restricted DVR make/models for supposed tech reasons, but the real result is that consumer choices are unfairly and maybe illegally restricted from using their own DVRs, while TWC requires TWC equipment be used and collects additional monthly rental fees at inflated prices for more corporate profits.

I called TWC Tech Support and asked which OEM DVR make/models could I purchase to work with the TWC system and was told that TWC only supports their DVR proprietary equipment and no others. I asked why TWC allows customers to buy cable data modems that are approved for use with TWC, but TWC does not allow customers to buy comparable OEM DVRs. TWC Tech Support had no answer why other DVRs are not allowed on the TWC system and not listed in their tech database.

TWC-Cincinnati's restrictions on DVR equipment result in anti-competitive business behavior that unfairly and illegally locks consumers into unnecessary DVR rental agreements. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has ruled through Administrative Law (August 11, 2011) that companies are not allowed to engage in this illegal behavior. See www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights or www.fcc.gov/guides/digital-cable-compatibility-cablecards-plug-and-play.

The bottom line is that you should CAREFULLY check to make sure that any personal equipment that you want to use from the Fioptics setup is fully compatible with the TWC equipment monopoly.
jackal40

jackal40

Thanks for that info. Based on your statements and some recent statements by TWC, I will not be moving to their service.

I'd rather have no cable than to put up with a company telling me what equipment I can watch (Not Record - just watch) their programming on.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65 to Anonimity

Premium Member

to Anonimity
Buy a HTPC with WMC or a Tivo (Either lifetime or monthly).
questor
join:2013-01-25
Milford, OH

questor to Anonimity

to Anonimity

Re: TWC In Cincinnati-Better Than Fioptics? Update...

I called TWC-Cincinnati Tech Support and ran into problems with support people who could not answer my questions regarding which DVRs and M-cards can be used with the TWC system. My intent was to find out if I could use my own DVR equipment and reduce the DVR monthly equipment rental charge. However, TWC in this region does not maintain ANY info in their online databases about the use of 3rd party DVR equipment with TWC cable in this area.

After the local TWC tech support office said could only use a TWC DVR, I checked the Internet and eventually found the TWC National Support Center phone number that supports solely MCards/tuner adapters that are rented from TWC. The NSC direct phone line is 1-866-532-2598 and their tech support (CSR named Rob) is thorough.

As of Jan 2013, TWC allows the use of 3 primary types of DVR connections through rented M-cards that connect to the TWC system. The supported choices include: 1.) connection through a TiVO system (requires a separate TiVO subscriber contract), 2.)connection through a HomeRun Prime cablecard with a PC with Windows Media Center (Windows 7 OS recommended), or 3.) use a discontinued Arris Moxi Media Gateway with a PC. Each of these choices requires that you pay a monthly fee to TWC for their Multiple Channel Card (M-card) with the tuner adapter, but TWC will provide NO tech support for the 3rd party equipment setup or operation. Each of these hardware choices will allow you the use of 99 HD channels at 1080i for approx $3 per month equipment rental instead of $30+ month renting a TWC DVR with Mcard.

I asked if I could use a refurb 8240HDC (out of warranty) I could purchase off the Internet and rent the Mcard from TWC, and Rob at TWC said the company could not guarantee the results. I would be denied any TWC software updates that are automatically sent from TWC to their company-owned and rented DVRs. However, I would have access to a minimum 100 channels (including pay channels that require a separate contract?) at 1080i HD.

In conclusion, TWC local tech support has not been given info on the use of Mcards with 3rd party equipment because the info is not in their knowledgebase. I will probably try to run a parallel DVR setup with the TWC DVR & Mcard and a second DVR with Mcard that I will experiment with. If this works out OK, I will likely return the TWC DVR/Mcard.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

You do realize any cable box you buy off the internet (eBay) is either from Canada or stolen, right? Motorola, Cisco and Samsung do not sell their digital set top terminals directly to consumers in the US. No US cable provider will activate a cable box you purchased online.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to questor

Premium Member

to questor
"I asked if I could use a refurb 8240HDC (out of warranty) I could purchase off the Internet and rent the Mcard from TWC, and Rob at TWC said the company could not guarantee the results."

Sure, use a stolen DVR purchased off the internet that of course will not work. Experiment all you want with that!

Hob
questor
join:2013-01-25
Milford, OH

questor

It is strange and concerning that US Consumers accept the monopoly dictates of cable TV industry companies such as TWC and Scientific Atlanta that unfairly and illegally limit consumer choices when purchasing DVR equipment.

Cell phone companies no longer lock cell phones to solely 1 cell network while allowing phone numbers to be transferred to competitor networks. Different OEM cable data modems can now be purchased and installed by consumers on cable TV/data networks. Why can't US consumers choose and purchase which DVR equipment they want to use with cable TV networks?

Part of this Cable Industry monopoly is caused by companies restricting public access to product information under the guise of "company secrets". By restricting the use and purchase of cable TV DVRs, companies such as TWC unfairly and illegally limit consumer choice and reduce business competition in a monopoly market that inflates consumer equipment rental charges for TWC’s profit with no real consumer benefit. IMHO, it is only a matter of time until the FCC implements regulations to allow consumer’s DVR purchases and encourage business competition in the USA.

Why can a US citizen purchase the same model 8240HDC DVR AS NEW OR USED in Canada and possibly use it in the USA, but US cable networks do not allow the consumer purchases of the same model DVR in the USA? Why do some US cable providers allow the use of this consumer purchased same model equipment, while other cable TV networks do no allow the use of same models?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"Why do some US cable providers allow the use of this consumer purchased same model equipment, while other cable TV networks do no allow the use of same models?'

Can you list the ones that do?

Hob