spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thethe5959

join:2013-01-16
Bridgewater, NJ

Replacing actiontec router with my own...

Click for full size
Ok, I did my research, and through trial and error and many hours I just gave up. just looking at the picture above, is it ok to assume that I would have to run my own cat5 cable from one of those 4 ports to the verizon router for this to work? I got as far as releasing the dhcp lease, unplugging it, plugging the cable from the ONT to my other router, and letting that one pull an IP. I got as far as the other router getting an IP, internet working fine, even connected another router to that and that one pulled an ip from that... except when I tried to connect my fios router, it stalled at waiting for dhcp lease and would never grab an IP. I read that the fios router needs to at least be on so the stb's can get the info that they need to function normally...(record/update guide info at the minimum)

The fios router was receiving data from WAN (Ethernet) since the WAN (coax) light is not lit up. ended up setting everything back to how things were before since the actiontec had no data connectivity (ethernet light would stay on and so would internet for about a few seconds then turn off for a few seconds then repeat). Rev I actiontec router. My whole purpose was to use my own router for xbox live since there are 2 xboxes in the house and I have never been able to have 0 issues with them at some point in time over the years that fios was installed (yes I've tried just about everything for that) and I wanted to try to take the actiontec router out of the equation because everything was port forwarded etc. through there as long as fios was installed.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
Those 4 ports are phone, the one on the left is ethernet. In order to run over ethernet you must call in after you hook it up and have your service switched from MOCA to ethernet.

BTW, picture is a very poor crimp, do proper crimps.
--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

thethe5959

Bridgewater, NJ
Whoops, should've looked closer lol. That cable wasn't installed by me. By fios. It's been there for years. Do I still have to call and ask them to switch from MOCA to ethernet?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
No. Everything is setup correctly already as your Actiontec was originally using Ethernet WAN as you already stated.

How are you attaching the Actiontec to your own router after making the switch? Also, what is the IP address range of your own router? Is it the same as the Actiontec's (192.168.1.x)? If so, you need to change it. All this info is in the FAQ under router tradeoffs.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to thethe5959
If your other router could connect to the ONT, pull an address and give you an internet connection, and you could put another router behind that and it would pull a connection, but the Actiontec couldn't...

Change the network on your new primary to 192.168.0.1, that way the Actiontec doesn't have a conflict with it's own 192.168.1.1. Some routers can autodetect addressing conflicts and change the subnet address. Actiontec can't.

Are you ok with some of the TV features (onscreen caller ID and remote DVR access) not working? Sounds like XBox features are higher on your priority list.

If that's the case, connecting Actiontec WAN port to a primary router LAN port will work just fine. VOD and guide data don't have problems with double-NAT.

thethe5959

Bridgewater, NJ
said by birdfeedr:

If your other router could connect to the ONT, pull an address and give you an internet connection, and you could put another router behind that and it would pull a connection, but the Actiontec couldn't...

Change the network on your new primary to 192.168.0.1, that way the Actiontec doesn't have a conflict with it's own 192.168.1.1. Some routers can autodetect addressing conflicts and change the subnet address. Actiontec can't.

Are you ok with some of the TV features (onscreen caller ID and remote DVR access) not working? Sounds like XBox features are higher on your priority list.

If that's the case, connecting Actiontec WAN port to a primary router LAN port will work just fine. VOD and guide data don't have problems with double-NAT.

Yeah, that was the problem. wow. Will give a go at this tomorrow. Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with that. Yep, I had it WAN to the LAN of the primary router I was using.

thethe5959

Bridgewater, NJ
reply to thethe5959
Just want to let whoever know that I solved my problem by following the instructions from above. Thanks very much.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
Wow thats one terrible crimp job

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
It's a terrible crimp job, but it makes a top-notch antenna If you're in an electronically noisy environment, and you start seeing performance issues, then that crimp will need to be redone. The twists need to be maintained as far up as possible, before they go into the connector.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
Yeah I'm kind of surprised the pairs dont fall out of the connector or when it was crimped it didnt damage the pairs.