spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to Tristan

Re: How hard is it to switch from Tek to Start?

said by Tristan:

I'm thinking of doing this too. I don't know too much about Start, so I'm going to have to do my research. The vastly better upstream speeds are very luring, and while the cap for the 45/4 is only 350GB, it is 50GB more than what I get now.

4Gbit up? Very interested.

what price
if i can do 1600 gb in a month with 5 megabit that is far cheaper
why do i care if its a 500000000/50 account with a 350 gb cap

nitric

join:2012-01-29
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by Talesavo:

Ya, it doesn't look like Tek is getting speed upgrades anytime soon, so time to move on to greener pastures. How do I make sure that Tek puts in the order immediately instead of waiting until the day before?

Hum, I dont think that's the case. The CRTC knows full well that this is important. My impression is that we will have a decision from them very soon. As soon as that decision is made I would assume that existing users would get speed parity right away and that for newer higher speeds it may take a bit longer for us to put new packages together and what not.

This decision will also deal with the CBB or UBB rates that were set more than a year ago.

To put it mildly, this is a huge decision that's coming out.

The rumors are that the aggregated POIs will get the upgrades and the rest won't -- not sure how much truth there is to that.

Can you confirm that you said what the user below mentions?:

»Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

I sent an IM to Marc today and he replied very quickly, he said that they are working on the situation with speed matching. He had said that they hope to have it resolved in the next few months.

I wouldn't say that's a definite answer but I was happy and impressed at the speed at which the CEO will respond to such a concern. WTG TSI.

I think the main word that makes myself and other users concerned is 'months'. :P

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Few months.... Time to go? We've been waiting since like October or November last year.

HKPolice

join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to Talesavo
Ya I'm considering a switch too since TSI's youtube servers are constantly buffering @ peak hours and even a direct connection to youtube's california servers are slow.

Did anyone switch to Start yet, and do they throttle Bittorrent traffic since it's an Aggregated POI?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

1 recommendation

reply to nitric
said by nitric:

The rumors are that the aggregated POIs will get the upgrades and the rest won't -- not sure how much truth there is to that.

*snip*

I think the main word that makes myself and other users concerned is 'months'. :P

on the first. This is just it, a decision on this will come out at the same time as the CBB/UBB rates. Until then, we just dont know what will happen.

For the second, it is possible that it takes months which is why I mentioned it. I do believe however that a decision will be released very soon. As mentioned above, we have asked for higher speeds on the non-agg TPIA as well as agg-TPIA.

My guess is that the CRTC knows that this is very important. They also know that we are the most affected by this decision. I dont think the CRTC would have put out a decision that is clearly advantageous to some but not others if the next decision that levels the playing field wasn't around the corner...

For my part, I will do what I can to speed things up as much as possible.

At the end of the day, its important to realise that these things are outside of our control largely. Once we know what our costs are, we will reprice accordingly. Those who wish to switch, that's part of the bargain with TekSavvy, you're free to do what you will. In the same way that you'd be free to come back if you liked our rates better once we put ours out there. Obviously I would rather not to create extra work for nothing. TekSavvy is still committed to offering a great value in the same way that we always have. I fully expect that we would be very competitive in all cases.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

2 edits
said by TSI Marc:

TekSavvy is still committed to offering a great value in the same way that we always have. I fully expect that we would be very competitive in all cases.

Any pricing less than Rogers Jan 24/2013 outrageous rate hikes and only 9 months after their last cash grab atrocity can only be of great benefit to TPIA present/future customers in general.

Personally, I think you guys are going to see a massive influx of customers in the coming months. Rogers has completely lost any value for the dollar period regarding their services.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by elitefx:

said by TSI Marc:

TekSavvy is still committed to offering a great value in the same way that we always have. I fully expect that we would be very competitive in all cases.

Any pricing less than Rogers Jan 24/2013 outrageous rate hikes and only 9 months after their last cash grab atrocity can only be of great benefit to TPIA present/future customers in general.

Personally, I think you guys are going to see a massive influx of customers in the coming months. Rogers has completely lost any value for the dollar period regarding their services.

Frankly, I for the life of me cannot figure out how Rogers thinks their service is so valuable. People usually raise prices to fund other services/projects within a company looking in to the future.

Rogers keep raising their prices every 6 months (last one was June 2012) and I cannot emphasize how silly their prices are getting now. Can anyone (you?) even try to come up with a decent reason? I doubt it lol It doesn't make sense.

On a side note to the thread - I've been in a huge debate with myself over this switch. Start.ca or TSI Cable. I've hesitated with TSI Cable over the last 2 years over the major issues. Now that things are getting better with TSI, start comes out with nice plans and good prices.

Touch decisions. I think, most around here don't want to switch due to the 1 on 1 ability with your ISP, but wallet and speed play a huge part.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Talesavo
All it takes is two phone calls - one to Teksavvy to cancel, one to Start to subscribe.
That seems pretty simple to me - I think you should be able to handle that.

tjmone

join:2011-02-01
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Talesavo
A little loyalty and patience is needed folks.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
Marc, there's other issues than just the new Rogers speeds. As mentioned above, the youtube issue is pretty serious and there's a dedicated thread going with no updates from TSI. It seems there's other network issues too like Twitch being really bad at peak on TSI compared to other providers here.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to nitric
said by nitric:

said by JonF:

Hello Talesavo,

Is there a reason you want to leave Teksavvy other than the difference in speeds? Is there a problem we can help you with?

I think most of the users here are happy with Teksavvy. It just comes down to being able to get a better product for nearly the same price with no word on what's going on with Teksavvy regarding the upgrades. Most people feel that it will take until Teksavvy gets on the aggregated POI for them to receive the speeds the already aggregated TPIA are getting. Someone recently mentioned that Marc said it would take 'months' so in that case I think quite a few people are going to look over at that greener pasture and start to move.

Exactly....I as well have been very satisfied with the service from TSI (4/5 stars) and to boot, the prices are awesome too. However, I can no longer wait months for this decision where we HOPE they will speed match for non-agreg. And without a solid plan to switch to agreg (end of 2013 apparently?), obviously ever decision Rogers takes, it will probably battle it out at the CRTC with TSI, because they are non-agreg. This is the unfortunate reality.

Coupled with this, are all the privacy/logging issues that have arisen from the recent Voltage case, with TSI stepping down and not opposing the decision themselves. This was the black eye. While I'll be paying $20 more per month for the most expensive Start cable option (soon), I'll get faster download (who cares) and more importantly, 4 times my current upload speed....The only thing Start are waiting on that CRTC decision for, is to calculate unlimited package pricing which they currently do not offer. However, 350GB per month is more than plenty for me.

Start, while also keeping logs for 90 days, has never handed over customer information to a 3rd party, and it is still yet to be seen how they would have handled a situation like TSI vs Voltage but I would assume they would learn from TSI's mistakes....
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
the recent Voltage/privacy issues actually shows that TSI is serious about it and has spent already near $200,000 of their own money fighting it. Start would be in the same boat had any of their users been seeding those torrents.

However this isn't really the thread for that. You really should read this article about what TSI is actually doing for it's users and the rest of Canada:

»www.davidellis.ca/teksavvy-custo···t-today/

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
We did not win big that day. We didn't win anything for that matter...They choose to NOT oppose the motion which was a fundamental mistake and now Start are in a position to benefit from that. I cannot speak to what Start would now do if confronted with a similar motion in the future, but as I said, I'm going to assume they won't make the same mistake, especially since it was monumental in bringing them to the spotlight and got them so many new subscribers....
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

TraderOne

@teksavvy.com
reply to MaynardKrebs
I am pretty happy with Teksavvy except their stance on customer privacy protection. I will make a decision after the Voltage's sh*t. Oh, i got a few disconnection with Teksavvy lately, Reason being " Can not find DNS server"

nitric

reply to jmck
said by jmck:

the recent Voltage/privacy issues actually shows that TSI is serious about it and has spent already near $200,000 of their own money fighting it. Start would be in the same boat had any of their users been seeding those torrents.

However this isn't really the thread for that. You really should read this article about what TSI is actually doing for it's users and the rest of Canada:

»www.davidellis.ca/teksavvy-custo···t-today/

and as far as the technical charges, they're charging $200 per IP lookup, how much does that add up to?

nitric

reply to TraderOne
said by TraderOne :

I am pretty happy with Teksavvy except their stance on customer privacy protection. I will make a decision after the Voltage's sh*t. Oh, i got a few disconnection with Teksavvy lately, Reason being " Can not find DNS server"

DNS issues are usually a Rogers issue. You should look into using different servers, like google: »developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
said by nitric:

said by TraderOne :

DNS issues are usually a Rogers issue. You should look into using different servers, like google: »developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

No, TSI runs their own DNS servers and have recently been having DNS issues (altho not in the last 2 weeks for me at least). I believe their DNS servers were being DDoS'd.

koolin

join:2005-12-20
Canada
reply to TSI Marc
Time to call up the CRTC and say we are bleeding customers because we are handicapped compared it other TIPA's. Make your decision now!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
said by koolin:

Time to call up the CRTC and say we are bleeding customers because we are handicapped compared it other TIPA's. Make your decision now!

...we've done that.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to jmck
said by jmck:

said by nitric:

said by TraderOne :

No, TSI runs their own DNS servers and have recently been having DNS issues (altho not in the last 2 weeks for me at least). I believe their DNS servers were being DDoS'd.

This is just not true. This comes up all the time. The primary reason for this is that people dont understand DNS.. they think that by changing your DNS it fixes things when in fact usually it forces your cache to reset making it look like it was a DNS problem.

Also, records get updated... if you're looking at a specific record.. the cache gets stuck on one record version. you switch DNS and it suddenly looks like it fixed it or that our DNS was wrong except that it wasn't. not at the time it was looked up...

i.e. we have not had to change a single thing on our DNS in a long time. we did help here and there to flush a record due to them updating it and they wanted to force it but that's just as a result of exactly ppl like you who think something is wrong so to prove it we flush it.. not because something was wrong...

DNS problem = that's just not true.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to koolin
Of course they've probably been all over the CRTC, but there's only so much that can be done. TSI/CNOC can't make the CRTC (or Rogers/Bell) do anything. I've never understood why people believe they can. Screaming at regulators, especially squishy, semi-competent regulators like the CRTC, gets you nowhere.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to jmck
said by jmck:

Marc, there's other issues than just the new Rogers speeds. As mentioned above, the youtube issue is pretty serious and there's a dedicated thread going with no updates from TSI. It seems there's other network issues too like Twitch being really bad at peak on TSI compared to other providers here.

We just added another 10G port facing the google servers this morning. We're at 30G just for google now.

We also just added 3 more gig links for DSL.. one has an issue but two of them should go live later today or tomorrow.

We're firing on all pistons... seems there's an unlimited amount of shit getting thrown at us all the time though.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

This is just not true. This comes up all the time. The primary reason for this is that people dont understand DNS.. they think that by changing your DNS it fixes things when in fact usually it forces your cache to reset making it look like it was a DNS problem.

Also, records get updated... if you're looking at a specific record.. the cache gets stuck on one record version. you switch DNS and it suddenly looks like it fixed it or that our DNS was wrong except that it wasn't. not at the time it was looked up...

i.e. we have not had to change a single thing on our DNS in a long time. we did help here and there to flush a record due to them updating it and they wanted to force it but that's just as a result of exactly ppl like you who think something is wrong so to prove it we flush it.. not because something was wrong...

DNS problem = that's just not true.

I'm not accusing you of running DNS servers that go down on a regular basis, I'm simply mentioning that you run your own servers and you are responsible, not Rogers if they go down.

Furthermore your DNS servers did go down a few weeks ago when they were the target of a DDoS which gabe mentions here:

»Re: DNS Outage

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

reply to Talesavo
Wow... People need to chill out a little.. my god.. faster speeds with lower caps when TSI will get the same speeds more than likely once the CRTC gets the decision released. It seems like a huge hassle for only a few weeks worth of the same speeds. If the CRTC rules against TSI, then feel free to leave, but I think some here are just jumping the gun a little for something later they will complain about when they get their big bill for overages. Rogers had it first anyway. Start just got it... If everyone jumps to start, their CEO has already said they likely would have to hike rates due to the current fees rogers charges them. Best to stay tight and wait it out until the CRTC gets this released.

On a positive note, TSI will have a case against rogers saying by them not matching speeds they are loosing customers....

BTW START keeps logs too, so don't think they won't hand them over should they get ordered to do so..

I'm not saying any of this as a fanboy because TSI is not perfect and I have pointed some of those issues out, but this is one case where TSI is not at fault in the least.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

said by nitric:

said by JonF:

Hello Talesavo,

Is there a reason you want to leave Teksavvy other than the difference in speeds? Is there a problem we can help you with?

I think most of the users here are happy with Teksavvy. It just comes down to being able to get a better product for nearly the same price with no word on what's going on with Teksavvy regarding the upgrades. Most people feel that it will take until Teksavvy gets on the aggregated POI for them to receive the speeds the already aggregated TPIA are getting. Someone recently mentioned that Marc said it would take 'months' so in that case I think quite a few people are going to look over at that greener pasture and start to move.

Exactly....I as well have been very satisfied with the service from TSI (4/5 stars) and to boot, the prices are awesome too. However, I can no longer wait months for this decision where we HOPE they will speed match for non-agreg. And without a solid plan to switch to agreg (end of 2013 apparently?), obviously ever decision Rogers takes, it will probably battle it out at the CRTC with TSI, because they are non-agreg. This is the unfortunate reality.

Coupled with this, are all the privacy/logging issues that have arisen from the recent Voltage case, with TSI stepping down and not opposing the decision themselves. This was the black eye. While I'll be paying $20 more per month for the most expensive Start cable option (soon), I'll get faster download (who cares) and more importantly, 4 times my current upload speed....The only thing Start are waiting on that CRTC decision for, is to calculate unlimited package pricing which they currently do not offer. However, 350GB per month is more than plenty for me.

Start, while also keeping logs for 90 days, has never handed over customer information to a 3rd party, and it is still yet to be seen how they would have handled a situation like TSI vs Voltage but I would assume they would learn from TSI's mistakes....

On the Copyright stuff. I urge you to consider that I am not able to speak freely when you are assessing everything that's gone on. I think it's only fair to reserve judgement until after I can at least defend myself.

As an update though, we will be posting the docs for CIPPIC's intervention and also Voltages response. They should be up in the next hour or so.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TraderOne

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc
Hi Marc,

Thanks for responding. I did not know what actually causes the disconnection. But, when windows 7 wanted to fix it the problem, the windows 7 said it could not find the DNS server. I have quite a few disconnection like that in last three weeks, even had one disconnection last night. It is not a big deal, just disconnected for a few seconds, then it was back online. However, it was annoying when i was watching online movie and get a few seconds frozen pictures.

Poser

join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Talesavo
Start has packages with higher upload speeds. I want the new package Rogers put out for Extreme. I will wait for Teksavvy to get the CRTC to match the speeds. If it is ruled that they won't get it, then I will consider switching to Start for the higher upload. But so far, so good with Teksavvy.

Going to have my 3rd month anniversary with them soon. Marc's gonna buy me dinner ;0)

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to TraderOne
said by TraderOne :

Hi Marc,

Thanks for responding. I did not know what actually causes the disconnection. But, when windows 7 wanted to fix it the problem, the windows 7 said it could not find the DNS server. I have quite a few disconnection like that in last three weeks, even had one disconnection last night. It is not a big deal, just disconnected for a few seconds, then it was back online. However, it was annoying when i was watching online movie and get a few seconds frozen pictures.

Hi TraderOne,

Just to clarify, are you still having these issues? if so, I would love to take a better look into your connection for you to make sure we get that resolved ASAP.

Just let me know and we will start working on it.

Thanks,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter!

Doeboye

join:2006-11-07
Canada

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Talesavo
+1 on the patience!

I'll take a known company who I've only had generally positive dealings with, over an unknown entity (to me) every time. Based on the number of threads that pop up in ALL the forums, all ISPs can have hiccups with installs. Why risk some ridiculous screw up that interrupts my connection, for speeds that won't make an enormous difference to my life (Don't get me wrong: I WANT WANT WANT faster, I just don't NEED faster), and that I'll most likely be getting eventually anyways?

Just doesn't make good sense to me.

Not too mention, I feel they've been as transparent as they can be anytime something comes up, and have treated their customers as fair as they can, playing with the hand they've been dealt (By that I mean all the foolishness they need to deal with re: Rogers and Bell). Can't say *that* for the majority of companies out there (EDIT: I don't mean just ISPs. I mean in a more global sense).

*Senior* management taking part in an online forum, on a regular basis? C'mon. That's communication.

I'm no TSI fanboy. I just say it like I see it. They're far from perfect (I'd love to see some more spine re:Voltage... But who knows, perhaps there's legal going-ons that we are not privy too....). But, they sure are trying.

I'm going to wait and see how all these little scenarios play out. Give em time to get an answer from CRTC. Let's see how they handle the Voltage BS... And certainly don't stop giving them the gears to get those issues resolved to our satisfaction!!, but leaving at this point for another provider?? In my opinion, making a decision before you have all the information, is just plain foolish....

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON
reply to Talesavo
^^^ +1

Well, I've been on DSL 25/7 for a year, and have no complaints. (Well, there IS the modem rental issue...)

Platitude of the day:

"All good things come to those who wait."