spc
Search similar:

uniqs
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to The Mongoose

to The Mongoose

Re: How hard is it to switch from Tek to Start?

said by The Mongoose:

said by Optional:

In a world ripe with social media and lots of uploading large picture files to share with friends, or funny videos to youtube, or files to your works serve..... 1mbps is NOT cutting it anymore. =\

They know that. It's Rogers who is preventing TSI from getting the higher speeds (leveraging the ludicrous claim that when they gave it to their own customers for free, it wasn't a free upgrade).

Not free. There's a price increase

I'll go through the thread after I watch Criminal Minds.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to cmotors

to cmotors
said by cmotors:

said by resa1983:

Considering Voltage's lawyers are getting paid 2k/appearance in court, and that the fund has been up for over a month with only 1.5k in it, you guys wouldn't be funding the defense.. Teksavvy would.

Lol, so true. The "community" has spoken with its 1.5....

Ehhh, did you even bother to read my full post? That's 1.5k with NO official support from TSI and NO wide spread marketing because of that....Just a few security conscious individuals on an obscure internet forum. I hope you realize how much we COULD have raised from all over Canada, social media, TSI's, own website, etc if they actually officially endorsed it to pay for legal costs incurred from opposing the motion.

You can bet you &#* that even other TPIA's would have contributed (thousands?) because it affects them too....
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by d4m1r:

said by cmotors:

said by resa1983:

Considering Voltage's lawyers are getting paid 2k/appearance in court, and that the fund has been up for over a month with only 1.5k in it, you guys wouldn't be funding the defense.. Teksavvy would.

Lol, so true. The "community" has spoken with its 1.5....

Ehhh, did you even bother to read my full post? That's 1.5k with NO official support from TSI and NO wide spread marketing because of that....Just a few security conscious individuals on an obscure internet forum. I hope you realize how much we COULD have raised from all over Canada, social media, TSI's, own website, etc if they actually officially endorsed it to pay for legal costs incurred from opposing the motion.

You can bet you &#* that even other TPIA's would have contributed (thousands?) because it affects them too....

Voltage's lawyers complained about Teksavvy linking Michael Geist's posts as well as linking CIPPIC in the original email to affected subscribers.. You can be sure that if Teksavvy were to send out an email supporting this indiegogo fund, they'd bring it to a judge pretty quick.
Talesavo
join:2011-01-07
London, ON

Talesavo to Doeboye

to Doeboye
said by Doeboye:

+1 on the patience!

I'll take a known company who I've only had generally positive dealings with, over an unknown entity (to me) every time. Based on the number of threads that pop up in ALL the forums, all ISPs can have hiccups with installs. Why risk some ridiculous screw up that interrupts my connection, for speeds that won't make an enormous difference to my life (Don't get me wrong: I WANT WANT WANT faster, I just don't NEED faster), and that I'll most likely be getting eventually anyways?

Just doesn't make good sense to me.

Not too mention, I feel they've been as transparent as they can be anytime something comes up, and have treated their customers as fair as they can, playing with the hand they've been dealt (By that I mean all the foolishness they need to deal with re: Rogers and Bell). Can't say *that* for the majority of companies out there (EDIT: I don't mean just ISPs. I mean in a more global sense).

*Senior* management taking part in an online forum, on a regular basis? C'mon. That's communication.

Funny that you should say that, since I had those problems when switching from Rogers to Tek. Sorry, Tek is behind the curve and there are better options out there, if I used your mindset, I'd still be on Rogers. If Tek has appealing offers, then I'll reconsider when those come up; I've already set the date for cancellation so unto a brave new world.

XNemesis
join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

XNemesis to Talesavo

to Talesavo
So the decision comes out in a month or two. How long after that decision from the CRTC will we then have to wait while Rogers drags their feet fulfilling a possible speed matching and price reducing decision from the CRTC? 3-4-6 months more, or is it immediate?

I say this because if it's immediate it doesn't seem like there's ever been any real enforcement of CRTC decisions so Roger's could just take their sweet time getting TSI the higher speeds?

troll_tage
@snydernet.net

troll_tage to resa1983

Anon

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

Voltage's lawyers complained about Teksavvy linking Michael Geist's posts as well as linking CIPPIC in the original email to affected subscribers.. You can be sure that if Teksavvy were to send out an email supporting this indiegogo fund, they'd bring it to a judge pretty quick.

Voltage's lawyers are desperate and as expected are full of sh.t. Original e-mail is right in front of me. There are no links to Michael Geist posts and no links to CIPPIC. But hey, its trolling, anything goes for a buck or two.

BTW the only outside link that exists in original e-mail is The Government of Canada’s Balanced Copyright:
»balancedcopyright.gc.ca/ ··· ml#amend so voltage can go and .... themselves.
cmotors
join:2011-01-28

1 edit

cmotors to d4m1r

to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Yep, I did indeed read your whole post. I just find generalizations made in internet forums quite questionable when they purport to represent a large amount of people. The vast majority of teksavvy customers do not post here, yet a vocal minority of people post in a forum as if it is representative of a much larger number of people that they are speaking for. If this really was a major community issue that everyone is supposedly having an adverse reaction to, I would imagine that 1.5k would be far higher.

The idea of having no support or marketing is indicative not only of your point, but also that the majority of the customers don't follow this issue, and the views expressed here are reflective of a minority (yet are thrown around as if there is a majority opinion behind them). Not to mention on top of that, the number of people who are aware of but have decided not to donate or spread it word of mouth. This itself is telling about how many people "really" are disaffected over all of this. One wouldn't have to market it if the views being thrown around here really were held by the majority (or at least a relatively significant number). People would be lining up to support the initiative. The issue has been in the news quite a bit, so... As well, word of mouth would certainly be powerful if the amount of people disaffected really is as large as some people here seemingly contend. Just not seeing the traction there.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to troll_tage

Premium Member

to troll_tage
said by troll_tage :

said by resa1983:

Voltage's lawyers are desperate and as expected are full of sh.t. Original e-mail is right in front of me. There are no links to Michael Geist posts and no links to CIPPIC. But hey, its trolling, anything goes for a buck or two.

BTW the only outside link that exists in original e-mail is The Government of Canada’s Balanced Copyright:
»balancedcopyright.gc.ca/ ··· ml#amend so voltage can go and .... themselves.

Voltage got to edit the email that went out. That's where that paragraph about retaining evidence (ie don't wipe your drives) came from. Considering the links to Michael Geist & CIPPIC weren't in the email, they removed it before approving it for TSI.
diskdocx
join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON

diskdocx to Tx

to Tx

said by Tx See ProfileRogers keep raising their prices every 6 months (last one was June 2012) and I cannot emphasize how silly their prices are getting now. Can anyone (you?) even try to come up with a decent reason? I doubt it lol It doesn't make sense.

Have you not seen how much Rogers is spending on the Blue Jays roster???

I think it's pretty obvious why the price hikes keep coming.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

said by diskdocx:

It's for a worthy cause

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by silvercat:

said by diskdocx:

It's for a worthy cause

maybe, leafs will never win and i find myself rather turned off by the leafs right now or the NHL as a whole but still no justification to the pricing.

Friend of mine on facebook just mentioned his area in the UK finally got Fiber Optic to the home. His speeds are 80\20 with unlimited bandwidth at £40 a month converted is $63 CAD. Modem rental included in price or line rental as he called it.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Talesavo

to Talesavo
said by Talesavo:

Sorry, Tek is behind the curve and there are better options out there

Maybe for you. For me the "better options" are behind the curve.
Doeboye
join:2006-11-07
Canada

Doeboye to Talesavo

to Talesavo
said by Talesavo:

Funny that you should say that, since I had those problems when switching from Rogers to Tek. Sorry, Tek is behind the curve and there are better options out there, if I used your mindset, I'd still be on Rogers. If Tek has appealing offers, then I'll reconsider when those come up; I've already set the date for cancellation so unto a brave new world.

Exactly. No ISP is immune to potential issues when making a transfer, TSI included. My point is that as the connection I have with TSI is stable and the service they provide is good, switching for something that is a WANT, not a NEED seems foolish to me.

If I was getting crappy service and/or connection, and the problem was not getting resolved, leaving an ISP for a competitor makes perfect sense, TSI, Rogers, Bell whoever.... Using my mindset, you would only still be on Rogers if you were satisfied with the service you were getting from them...

That said, everyone is different. For some people, a faster upload and download are a NEED. For me, not so much. I'd love to have it, but don't require it to be satisfied with my ISP (NOTE: I'm on 28/1. If I was on some pitiful 5/800KB connection, I would not be satisfied, and a change would definitely be happening ).

So, in conclusion, for me:

Stable connection, decent speed, good service > unknown connection, higher speed, unknown service.

PS: Good luck at Start. Be sure to report back on your experience so more of us can make an informed decision if the time comes for us to switch to someone else!

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to TraderOne

Premium Member

to TraderOne
said by TraderOne :

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the following up. If the disconnection happens again, I will give you a shout.

Thanks again.

Sounds good.

savvycustomr
@humber.ca

savvycustomr to Talesavo

Anon

to Talesavo
been with Teksavvy over a year now, consistent quality service, very happy with them and will continue to support them!. As for the people complaining about the speed increases. It will come when it comes. Id rather Teksavvy take their time and properly upgrade the speeds so I have a stable connection rather then rush it out and have packet loss or ping spikes.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by Talesavo:

Sorry, Tek is behind the curve and there are better options out there

Maybe for you. For me the "better options" are behind the curve.

Why do you always argue the opposite with everyone. Someone is happy you will say you're unhappy. Someone says up you argue down. Someone says you can live without dying on a 5meg you argue not you.

Explains a lot.
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

xdrag to Talesavo

to Talesavo
TSI is still in the mix of good providers but if they don't switch to aPOI model, they'll fall behind really fast.

expansion will be slower and they won't get the same speed/coverage compared to another company like start.ca. Upgrading links in a central location will be much easier to manage compared to individual links.

it's going to be costly since they've invested quite a bit on their current architecture but has to be done sooner rather than later. I believe Rogers and TSI has a plan that's in the works but haven't heard any new.
kabes
join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON

kabes to Talesavo

to Talesavo
The start.ca speeds are attractive, but I'm willing to hold out if a decision is on the horizon.

If it goes through, 28/1 would automatically change to 35/3, right? Or is 28/1 grandfathered and 35/3 costs more?
zoneseek
join:2011-09-12

zoneseek to Talesavo

to Talesavo
I really like teksavvy but I have been feeling the 1meg up burn for years now it was cool 10 years ago but now its just absolutely brutal. The world has changed, really home internet connections should be striving to be real full duplex. Anyway, these days whenever my wife plugs in her ipad/iphone, or I finish playing a steam cloud-enabled game, or either of us are working from home and have to push some content up to a server at work it just absolutely KILLS the connection and its getting older and older by the day.

TSI more upload bandwidth is needed, its as simple as that, we need an update ASAP. I love you guys but a couple more months of 1meg upload is all I can stomach now knowing there are others out there besides bell/rogers that are offering up to 4meg...
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

2 edits

34764170 (banned) to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

Why do you always argue the opposite with everyone. Someone is happy you will say you're unhappy. Someone says up you argue down. Someone says you can live without dying on a 5meg you argue not you.

Explains a lot.

It's called devils advocate. I'm not saying they're wrong but there is more than one perspective to a lot of situations.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to kabes

to kabes
said by kabes:

The start.ca speeds are attractive, but I'm willing to hold out if a decision is on the horizon.

If it goes through, 28/1 would automatically change to 35/3, right? Or is 28/1 grandfathered and 35/3 costs more?

If the CRTC forces Rogers to push the free upgrades their customers got to non-agreg TPIA's like TSI, everyone currently on the 28/1 cable profile will get upgraded to 35/3 for free. However, the CRTC is slow so don't hold your breath....Their decision is most likely months away.