share rss forum feed

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Smokey Bear

Re: Windows 8 is blocking Linux-based recovery environments

The problem is beyond Acronis' control. They can only write code, they can't force a motherboard to do something the motherboard doesn't want to do. Windows 8 compatibility and UEFI default-setup compatibility are two different elements.

The real issue is UEFI SecureBoot and how it is implemented. It is implemented based on a whitelist mechanism, it is impossible for every recovery software package to have their keys/signature installed on every single UEFI firmware installation. OEMs and mainboard manufacturers will not take that time or effort.

The problem is Microsoft told OEMs to deploy SecureBoot on mainboards for Windows 8 certification, some OEMs took this as "Enforce SecureBoot no matter what" and ran with it, leading to situations where users do not know that there's an option to disable SecureBoot (if that option is provided by the OEM) as many OEMs nowadays do the bare minimum possible.
--
--Kradorex Xeron
[an error occurred while processing this signature]

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

Windows 8 certification requires the ability to disable Secure Boot (for x86 at least), and anybody who's game enough to do image backup and restore will probably not have any trouble finding how to do this in the BIOS.
--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Security Consultant | Orange County, California USA | my web site

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by Steve:
Windows 8 certification requires the ability to disable Secure Boot (for x86 at least), and anybody who's game enough to do image backup and restore will probably not have any trouble finding how to do this in the BIOS.

Sorry Steve you are talking BS, I'll bet with you that most Acronis customers have no experience with secure boot. Besides, BIOS is to many people an unknown word, and in case they know what BIOS is they don't know anything about required settings. You know about such issues, I know, a few others know, and that's it.
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
reply to DigitalXeron

said by DigitalXeron:
The problem is Microsoft told OEMs to deploy SecureBoot on mainboards for Windows 8 certification, some OEMs took this as "Enforce SecureBoot no matter what" and ran with it, leading to situations where users do not know that there's an option to disable SecureBoot (if that option is provided by the OEM) as many OEMs nowadays do the bare minimum possible.

I fully agree.
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

It's really easy to disable, and even Microsoft has recommended times you have to disable it beyond the more logical reasons to disable it.

»[WIN8] Windows 8 with Secure Boot enabled may no longer boot aft

If you have to boot from outside media it's not unexpected to turn off secure boot.

I see overreaction in the article unless the motherboard in question didn't allow them to disable it. I can only guess that the next step would be to have to go as far as making a new partition, and making an entry in the bcd loader, however I don't want recovery software needing to make a recovery partition on my hdd, I would still rather boot from it externally.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1
reply to Steve

My backup is my previous computer and xcopy and/or robocopy script to keep it in sync with my new computer. Always keep a working backup.