join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Same network

said by ISurfTooMuch:

While you may be correct on the issue of whether the data leaves their network or not, I wonder if a big file transfer between two AT&T customers is also going to be exempted. This would actually be pretty easy to set up and test. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the meter would indeed be running.

So long as the data doesn't traverse the Internet, it isn't subject to network neutrality, so AT&T can choose to count it or not, as they see fit.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
WRONG!

Internet traffic is internet traffic. Where it starts and where it ends is not relevant.

They cap and argue about who should pay for the last mile because of data use. That last mile includes every single packet that leaves your modem to the internet regardless of whether or not it stays on their network. Transit cost are small are really irrelevant to this entire conversation.

You and other people trying to claim otherwise are either ill informed about how the internet actually works or have an alternative motive.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
And the funny thing is, these ISP's are so difficult to nail down when you want to know where they claim the bottleneck is. Sometimes, it's in the last mile, but then it magically moves to their connection with the rest of the Internet when that suits them better. But then, when the data is being sent from or to one of their other subsidiaries, it's somehow special and doesn't count against the caps.

And the ISP's whine about how much it costs to do network upgrades. Yes, I realize it costs money, but this is the business they elected to go into. All that old copper has been in the ground for decades and has been paid off for many years, yet they want to use it until it completely rots away.

If I allowed AT&T to manage my house's maintenance and upgrades, it'd be cooled by old box fans, heated by radiators, illuminated by oil lamps, food would be kept cold in an icebox (the kind where you had to insert a block of ice each day), and the bathroom would be an outhouse out back.

AnonFTW

@reliablehosting.com
reply to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

WRONG!

Internet traffic is internet traffic. Where it starts and where it ends is not relevant.

They cap and argue about who should pay for the last mile because of data use. That last mile includes every single packet that leaves your modem to the internet regardless of whether or not it stays on their network. Transit cost are small are really irrelevant to this entire conversation.

You and other people trying to claim otherwise are either ill informed about how the internet actually works or have an alternative motive.

If it doesn't leave the AT&T network, it's not "Internet Traffic." AT&T WAN traffic yes, but it's not true INTERnet traffic until it crosses onto another provider's network.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to Skippy25
Wrong, wrong, wrong. So wrong.

Internet traffic is only that which traverses the public internet, and only that which is subject to network neutrality. That's what industry agreed to in 2010.

If you want to try to redefine the term today, to apply to private traffic, you not only are going to have a massive fight on your hands, once again, you will not see the results you imagine.