FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Critsmcgee

Premium Member

to Critsmcgee

Will Kelly keep Vick?

Will Kelly keep Vick as starting QB? This writer thinks Vick fits in to the offensive scheme Kelly likes - the Read Option play. »www.latimes.com/sports/s ··· 25.story

Kelly on the "Read Option" play:
quote:
Here's Oregon Coach Chip Kelly's take on it:

The quarterback is responsible for the sixth man in the box. He reads the defender and controls him. The quarterback is blocking that defender. He cannot physically block him because that is a mismatch. What he does is run the ball if the defender attacks the running back. He makes the defender respect him as a runner and keeps him out of the play.

At the snap of the ball, the QB & RB meet for a hand off, which is called 'the mesh'. At the mesh point the QB typically looks to the backside, for the player being read; the QB then reads the defender. Depending on whether or not the defender crashes the play, the QB has to make a decision on whether or not to hand the ball off, or keep it himself; all taking place in under one second.

It is usually the running back's responsibility to handle the mesh, while the QB reads the defender. If the RB is scanning the LB's, there will likely be a fumble. The RB must trust that the offensive line has fulfilled it's responsibility.
I don't think Vick will fit into the role if the "Read Option" play is something Kelly plans on using a lot for the Eagles. Vick is too small ; bad at reading defenses; & too stupid to successfully pull it off. Though when healthy is a fast elusive runner. Foles is big enough to see the defenses over the line and big enough to do the job if he has to block a defender. But so far he looks to be a pocket passer and doesn't excel at sprinting out and running when needed.

Will the Eagles trade for or draft a QB who can fit in to Kelly's "Read Option" scheme. Or will he keep his existing QBs and come up with a different offense that fits the existing players?

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

aurgathor

Even though he's a talented QB and the better of two, I don't think Vick is worth $15M. The Eagles would like to keep him, but at a slightly different price point. However, he has indicated that he's unwilling to restructure his contract, so I think this is a somewhat difficult to predict scenario. If CK thinks that Vick could be great in his scheme, he can probably make the Eagles to keep him even at $15M, or if Vick thinks that the team can have a good chance to go deep into the playoff, he might just change his mind and restructure his contract.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Ron Jaworski's thoughts on how Kelly, Vick, & Foles may have a problem with the Read Option offense:
»www.philly.com/philly/sp ··· =8500281

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Will the Eagles trade for or draft a QB who can fit in to Kelly's "Read Option" scheme.

I hear Tebow is available. Cheap.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Lol, I remember Tim running a bit of option in college right?

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to footballdude

Premium Member

to footballdude
said by footballdude:

said by FFH5:

Will the Eagles trade for or draft a QB who can fit in to Kelly's "Read Option" scheme.

I hear Tebow is available. Cheap.

I would become an Eagles Fan.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

Starting at 1:30 today, watch the Eagles news conference introducing the new head coach Chip Kelly at this link:
»abclocal.go.com/wpvi/liv ··· =8957620

Edit: also being shown live on the NFL cable network.