uniqs

freethought
join:2000-01-24
Kissimmee, FL
ARRIS SBG6580
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

freethought to ispalten

to ispalten

Re: [CFL] Turbo/Lightning speed upgrade in CFL???

OK, so I'm still unclear on what this whole "grandfathering" provision is. Simple question:

I had Turbo prior to the bump and saw speeds of 20/1 solid and as high as 30/1 sometimes.

Do I need to pay the extra $5 to get the 30/1 speeds under Turbo, and do I need a new modem for it?

Thanks!

Mike
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by freethought:

OK, so I'm still unclear on what this whole "grandfathering" provision is. Simple question:

I had Turbo prior to the bump and saw speeds of 20/1 solid and as high as 30/1 sometimes.

Do I need to pay the extra $5 to get the 30/1 speeds under Turbo, and do I need a new modem for it?

Thanks!

Mike

You are grandfathered in. You can remain where you are now or upgrade to the new Turbo which does require a D3 modem. It's your choice. There are technical advantages to upgrading that you should seriously consider if you are still on the fence about it.

1) Turbo 20/2 uses a D2 modem and Powerboost or a short term boost in your speed that typically lasts a few seconds. For those few seconds you would see speeds up to 28mpbs in some cases depending on network conditions but it's only TEMPORARY. The new Turbo uses D3 modem and does not use Powerboost so your speeds are a consistent 30/2 approx.

2) Streaming, gaming and other bandwidth and consistency of datarate intensive applications will benefit nicely from Turbo 30/2 and no powerboost. They like it when the datarate remains as constant as possible.

3) Turbo 30/2 users also benefit from an instant upgrade path to Lightning with nothing more than a phone call.

freethought
join:2000-01-24
Kissimmee, FL
ARRIS SBG6580
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

freethought

Thanks for the quick reply. I saw your earlier post which said the same thing, and I'm still not sure what "grandfathered in" means.

So let me try it again in two parts:

If I do nothing and keep my existing modem, will I get the higher speeds?

To get the higher speeds, do I need to pay the extra $5/month.

Thanks much!!

Mike