Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NewLife
Just Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming

join:2001-07-31
Calhoun, GA

Dell E521 Wont Boot

Ok, so I have a Dell E521 that a family member brought to me. They are different though because they pay. The first issue was simple, loose stick of ram that needed to be reseated. They initially didnt bring me the keyboard and mouse and the only thing I has was PS2 plugs.

They took it home and tried hooking it up. It got into the boot sequence and gave an error that it could not find a boot device. Either hit F2 to enter setup menu or insert installation disc and press F1. I insert the disc, press F1 and the drive starts flashing. It comes up to a screen saying Boot from CD, but it never does let me past this point. It has a new hard drive in it, but the person that put it in is not technical so I dont think they knew to install OS. How can I install the OS when I cant get it to boot from CD?

Please help!
--
LinkedIn: »www.linkedin.com/in/leebaldwin30701
My Blog: »www.onmysoapboxblog.com

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

Is it actually recognizing the keystrokes? Try entering the BIOS.

Open it up and ensure the HDD is connected properly, and in the case of an older IDE drive, is jumpered correctly. Especially if the CD/DVD and HDD are sharing a cable.
--
Google is your Friend

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21
reply to NewLife

Can it boot from a USB drive?

If yes, create a bootable USB flash drive and copy the installation disk into the flash drive.

Google for details.

NewLife

Calhoun, GA
reply to Dogg

Dogg, it appears I left off an important piece of info. Everything in the computer is SATA (HDD and CD/DVD). It does recognize keystrokes and I have been in the Bios. Bios is seeing the hard drive for what it is. The HDD is on its own cable and the CD/DVD is on its own.
--

NewLife

Calhoun, GA
reply to AlphaOne

AlphaOne, I am not sure if it can boot from USB or not. I will attempt it tomorrow when I have time.
--

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to NewLife

Ensure you are using a bootable CD and/or test with a different bootable disc.
--
Google is your Friend

NewLife

Calhoun, GA

I tested the Dell restore disc in a laptop I have and it boots fine. I have tried the Dell with a Win 7 bootable and it wont boot with it either.
--