All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

[WIN8] XP Mode

I know Win7 Pro has XP Mode but does Win8 Pro have it also?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

No, it's purpose was for business compatibility, and support for XP now ends in 2014 after being extended when it should have already been completely discontinued, where it was late 2012 when Win 8 was released. You certainly can run it in a virtual machine provided you have your own license for the operating system.
robman50

robman50

I have a few retail boxes of XP SP2 still sitting in the closet probably covered in dust.

Would I have to use Hyper-V or what ever it's called?

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

That will work. I did exactly that. Hyper-V is nice but is no where as easy to setup as XP Mode was. You have to do everything and learn to appreciate what Microsoft did automatically in Windows 7.
robman50

robman50

Didn't MS have an 'virtual pc' program of some sort? I have the expertise in that so Hyper-V should be similar.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Nah....I have Vista Ultimate set up in Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 so I know how to use it. I was looking at hyperV last week and it does look very nice but a lot of differences between it and the old VirtualPC. I wanted to import my XP Pro VMWare Workstation virtual machine to hyperV but that looked difficult. So, I installed Virtualbox thinking it might be easier to import to it but I haven't really looked into it yet.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer to robman50

Mod

to robman50
said by robman50:

Didn't MS have an 'virtual pc' program of some sort? I have the expertise in that so Hyper-V should be similar.

Other than basic function, there really aren't many similarities. I have no way of knowing, but it doesn't appear to me to share much of any of the same code. Hyper-V with XP wasn't that difficult to set up, but I remember having to go to Google a few times to look up how to do a few things. Setting up the NIC wasn't easy as pie.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Was there a Hyper V with XP? Not as far as I know. I could only use Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 and it lacks snapshots...just drop disk. It was nowhere near as good as VMWare Workstation but at the time I had Workstation 5.5 and it would not allow Vista except as experimental with a zillion problems so I had to use Virtual PC. Sort of the same situation now where I own Workstation 7 and that version cannot be used on Windows 8.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

You misunderstood me. Hyper-V with Windows XP installed under it on a Windows 8 system. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Ahhh...got it now.