spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pete1980
join:2013-01-16
Buffalo, NY

pete1980

[Northeast] Replacement router recommendations for 150/65 & wifi

Hi! I upgraded my service to the 150/65 tier last week. I've been very happy with the service.

I am looking for router recommendations that can beef up the wifi performance. I get about 45/35 from the Rev. I

I'm familiar with what I'll need to do with the actiontec to keep vod and guide data.

If you've replaced the actiontec with another primary, which router did you use and what are the best wifi speeds you receive?

The router would need to handle streaming fairly well. I'm an avid slingbox user and have three. I have one for my personal use, one for Dad to watch local sports (Go Sabres!) and one for my cousin who is deployed in Korea (who can stream at 3 Mbps from me....)

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what everyone has had good luck with.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Re: [Northeast] Replacement router recommendations for 150/65 &

I use the latest generation of the Apple Airport Extreme. Excellent performance with my 75/35.

One of the best routers I have ever owned.
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to pete1980

to pete1980
You can read about routers at smallnetbuilder.com
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to WK2

to WK2
said by WK2:

I use the latest generation of the Apple Airport Extreme. Excellent performance with my 75/35.

One of the best routers I have ever owned.

+1 (well, actually I have 2 -- one on each floor)

Pete1980a
@verizon.net

Pete1980a to pete1980

Anon

to pete1980
Not sure why the site isn't recognizing the account I created yesterday to let me sign in, but this is Pete the OP...

Thanks guys! I'm considering an AirPort, I have a lot of apple devices anyway. I also looked at smallnetbuilder.com and am interested in Asus. The external antennas seem like a plus.

What Internet speeds do you see from the airport and how close is it to the wired speeds?
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

I have the airport on one end of the house and from the other end I was hitting 63 down. When I am in the same room as the router I hit the full 83 I'm supposed to get.
aaron_cls
join:2010-03-08
New York, NY

aaron_cls to pete1980

to pete1980
Hey, just fyi, I just replaced the built-in N router that is included with my modem with the newest netgear router (r6300) which supports the draft 802.11ac protocol (which I can't use yet cause I have no devices that support it but I wanted something future proof). I only have 35/35 service, but I noticed a huge bump in wifi performance over the VZW provided router (from about 10-15 MBPS in my living room to now actually seeing 30-35 in the same location, and also getting extremely good performance upstairs). Couldn't be happier with this purchase, $200 basically let me realize the FIOS level of performance I'd been paying for every month but not getting with their crappy router.
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to pete1980

to pete1980
Just remember that with WIFI both ends of the connection matters, if you have a weak WIFI card in your device / laptop it will make a difference. I currently have 3 Access Points; Trendnet TEW-637AP, Dlink DIR-615-E3 flashed with DD-WRT and EnGenius EAP350 and can hit 83 mbps down, 39 up on all 3 of them (my plan is 75/35).
pete1980
join:2013-01-16
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

pete1980

After lots of reading lots of reviews and comparisons, I decided to try out the Asus RT-N66R.

So far, it is great! In my living room on wifi, where I previously got 45/35 from the Actiontec, I now get 106/67 from the speedtest.verizon.net/fios300 and 147/51 from a speedtest.net internet server in NYC.

I also like having dual band as there are 7 other Actiontec routers from neighbors (small cul-de-sac where it seems everyone has Fios) so being able to connect on 5 Ghz avoids a lot of interference since the three strongest signals I pick up that aren't mine are on channels 1, 11, and 6 - leaving little room for me.