Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

w1spfanatic

join:2013-01-11
Screven, GA
reply to wirelessdog

Re: WISP Startup

I could do that, but I don't want to run into any red tape from the feds for dismantling equipment etc etc. Plus, I will have to get the CPEs that are still installed and configure every single one of them if I am not mistaken. Correct?

I uninstalled one from a house a few days ago and got into it and browsed through the OS. They are Trango M900s SUs.

None the less, I still have to find someone to go up the tower for me and install the AP(s) I am going to use.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

said by w1spfanatic:

None the less, I still have to find someone to go up the tower for me and install the AP(s) I am going to use.

Ya not gonna do it yourself??
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

w1spfanatic

Screven, GA

I could if I am granted access. I would probably lose my manhood climbing up that high. I am petrified of heights.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

said by w1spfanatic:

I could if I am granted access. I would probably lose my manhood climbing up that high. I am petrified of heights.

Id get over this part quick, getting climbers to hike up towers, or do installs will get expensive quick.
I was too pretty afraid of heights when I first started, but I did it anyways, it fades away.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

w1spfanatic

Screven, GA

1 edit

I've been up pretty high before in a man basket attached to a crane. In matter of fact, I still have my harness. I know I can do it. I'll have to anyways because I don't have the funds to pay someone.

My thing is tampering with the equipment still installed.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
reply to w1spfanatic

said by w1spfanatic:

I don't want to run into any red tape from the feds for dismantling equipment etc etc.

How long has the WISP been shut down? See if you can get a copy of the lease from the water tower owner. Many leases give xx number of days to remove equipment from the site before it is considered abandoned and legal property of the landlord to dispose of. RUS funded or not, I don't believe any tower owner has to keep the equipment in tact on their structure if these things are clearly laid out in the lease.

If the lease has expired or was defaulted on, and the timeframe for removing equipment has passed, the equipment may be free and clear of any "owner" and the landlord may be willing to give it to you for free simply to be able to be able to rent out the space again. If the owner is the city, they might see it as a valuable opportunity to add some new competition to replace the old WISP.

Worth looking into anyway. After all, WE the taxpayers paid for it, might as well use it if you can.

w1spfanatic

Screven, GA

Good outlook on it!

I will get all the details today on the water tower, which is owned by the city and the Mayor sounded pretty happy that someone was inquiring about it all.