Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Anon12

MVM

to Anon12

Re: CAT5 cable

At 38 dB you are at about 9,500 feet from the DSLAM. As Demonfang See Profile mentioned margin is a bit low but not all that bad considering speed. Tx power is maxed out so what you are seeing is your DSL is syncing at maximum possible rate so unless you are able to improve the circuit somehow.

Be interesting to see if stats are any better at the NID.

DSL needs a filter to protect non-DSL devices from the high frequencies used by DSL. As you surmised either inline filters are whole house splitter will do the job. As long long as you install it correctly it can't do any harm.

If you are a normal Verizon DSL customer using PPPoE and ATM the total overhead TCP/IP/PPPoE/ATM is 14.4% so best case speed test report is 5.095 Mbps dwn/ .74 Mbps up. If you were really getting speed test results of 5.5 Mbps it means either the speed test is wrong, or you sync speed at the time you ran the test was higher then you posted.

/tom

Anon12
@verizon.net

Anon12

Anon

I'm not using PPPoE, I'm pretty sure I am not. I'm in California and using DCHP.

Here are my speed results.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3245.png

Anon12

Anon12 to tschmidt

Anon

to tschmidt
This is my stats right now, and the speed test I provided above is current. It seems that margin is even lower than before. So what does that mean?

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Interleaved

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 6208 864
Margin (dB) 6.5 11.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 37.5 23.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.2 11.8

Anon12

Anon12 to tschmidt

Anon

to tschmidt
I just checked outside my house, and I don't have those regular NID boxes. The box is really old and small.

No NID outside, just old fashioned silver box. Can I still test it?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

5.35/.73Mbps is reasonable speed for sync rate of 6208/864. PPPoE only adds .6% overhead so in your case best case speed at the current sync rate is 5.38/.748. What this means is that your connection is not experiencing congestion outside the DSL physical interface. That is good news as often times poor performance is due to congestion within the ISP network causing speedtest report to be much lower then the DSL connection.

Notice your margin is lower, that is due to higher sync rate and possible noise on the line.

As far a wiring test you have several options, in order of preference:

1) Call Verizon (Phone not DSL) and tell them you need to add wiring but your residence does not have a NID and ask to have one installed. New NIDs use gas tube transient protectors rather then carbon block. They do a better job protecting from lightning strikes. Also carbon arrestors tend to be noisier - especially over time. A new NID with gas tube protectors may improve DSL speed a little.

2) Since you wanted to rewire your apartment I assume you are comfortable working working with phone wiring. Open circuit voltage is around 48 volts but when phone rings 90 v 20Hz AC is superimposed on the line so it does represent a shock hazard.

Disconnect inside wire from the protector, leave the drop wire connected. That is the wire going to the pole or underground feeder. Temporally connect a jack to the two terminals and connect the modem and see what happens.

3) Disconnect anything plugged into the phone line and and see if stats improve. You indicate you only have a single phone double check for computers, settop boxes answering machines etc connected to phone line. Open up any accessible jacks and look for corrosion between the terminals.

On another note notice your modem is reporting G.DMT mode that is first generation ADSL. Assuming your modem supports second generation DSL ADSL2/ADSL2+ try getting your circuit switched to an ADSL2+ line card. ADSL2 does better on marginal circuits. The switch ought to tweak speed and/or increase margin a little.

/tom

Anon12
@verizon.net

Anon12

Anon

Thanks for clearing everything up. Now I understand more things now.

Anyways, Will it be free or I will get charged if I ask Verizon to install a New NID ?

Yes, my modem supports ADSL2. Who do I need to contact specifically? Can VerizonDirect be a better choice?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Anon12 :

Will it be free or I will get charged if I ask Verizon to install a New NID ?

Telco's are required to provide customer demarcation point aka NID but they may balk at installing one because nothing is wrong with the circuit. I'd call and see what they say, let them know you need to add wiring to your apartment and it is not safe to do so without a NID so customer wiring can be disconnected.

If they stonewall you the next step it to get in touch with your state public utility commission (PUC) and ask them to assist.
said by Anon12 :

my modem supports ADSL2. Who do I need to contact specifically?

Verizon online does not specifically market ADSL2 so may be difficult. I'd try calling support first to see what happens. If they refuse try the Verizon Direct route. Unlike the NID they are under no obligation to switch to ADSL2 as they are able to provide an acceptable level of service.

Be warned Verizon may "optimize" your speed rather then switching you to a ADSL2 line card. In that case you may be throttled to a lower speed to stabilize the connection.

/tom

Anon12
@verizon.net

Anon12

Anon

Alright, thanks for everything.