PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 edit

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Facebook starts free iPhone VoIP calling for US users

In early January, Facebook began testing free calling over Wi-Fi and cellular data for all Messenger for iPhone users in Canada, and said that a US launch could be coming soon. Apparently, the test went well; a new free calling button has appeared in the app. Facebook has confirmed to The Verge that the feature began rolling out to US users today, and requires no update through the App Store. To make a call to another Messenger for iPhone user, all you need to do is open a conversation with that person, tap the "i" button in the top-right corner, and tap Free Call.

More:
»www.theverge.com/2013/1/ ··· phone-us

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state

1 recommendation

crazyk4952

Premium Member

I don't use Facebook, but I think this is a pretty big deal. Now we just need an open source version of this to replace the PSTN....
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
I wonder if this heralds the end of telephony as we know it—feel free to call me at 303-555-1212, I mean call me at facebook.com/bink .

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by Bink:

feel free to call me at 303-555-1212

Do you always answer your phone by asking which city I'm looking for a listing in?
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

1 recommendation

Mango

Premium Member

That wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_jLykcWPn0
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Here's another from the same epidose:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM79_itR0Nc&list=PL361E392032443C8D
rblizz
join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

rblizz to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

In early January, Facebook began testing free calling over Wi-Fi and cellular data for all Messenger for iPhone users in Canada, and said that a US launch could be coming soon. Apparently, the test went well; a new free calling button has appeared in the app. Facebook has confirmed to The Verge that the feature began rolling out to US users today, and requires no update through the App Store. To make a call to another Messenger for iPhone user, all you need to do is open a conversation with that person, tap the "i" button in the top-right corner, and tap Free Call.

More:
»www.theverge.com/2013/1/ ··· phone-us

So, unless you're connected over WiFi, you'll exchange you relatively cheap calling minutes for expensive data usage. Dang it hurts when I hit my head.
sarahportman
join:2012-10-31

sarahportman to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
This is good news for Facebook users like me, but I am not an iPhone users so probably I won't get to enjoy this service unless I have the gadget. Anyways, thumbs up for Fabook!

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Now, they will record and use your conversations for their own profits. No thanks...
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to rblizz

Premium Member

to rblizz
said by rblizz:

So, unless you're connected over WiFi, you'll exchange you relatively cheap calling minutes for expensive data usage. Dang it hurts when I hit my head.

You are correct but WiFi is the whole point....

Workplaces, college campuses, stores and restaurants, city streets---all WiFi.
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704 to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Now, they will record and use your conversations for their own profits. No thanks...

Anybody using Facebook has long since given up any pretense at privacy.

[So really, what did Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke do for a living?!]

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by ropeguru:

Anybody using Facebook has long since given up any pretense at privacy.

[So really, what did Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke do for a living?!]

Yep, I acknowledge that. WHich is why I will never use ANY voice product from them.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

But look what making a sex tape did for Kim Kardashian's career!
rblizz
join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

rblizz to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

said by rblizz:

You are correct but WiFi is the whole point....

Workplaces, college campuses, stores and restaurants, city streets---all WiFi.

If this remains exclusive to iPhone it could backfire on Apple. Carriers are already grumbling about iPhone prices -- add Facebook free calling into the mix and they could get downright hostile.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

This is an excellent point.

However, carriers can't blame Apple for anything that is done by Facebook, Google, Micro-Skype, Viber, etc....

If WiFi be there, people will use it.

---------------------------

Consider two movie studios at the start of the 1950's.

1) Paramount was scared to death of TV.

They even banned their films from mentioning the [word] television, and they also banned their films from showing any scene in which a TV set was present.

Paramount had a 100 percent ostrich approach.

That was specifically discussed in the autobiography of Leonard H. Goldenson, the fellow who made a big success of ABC.

2) By contrast, Warner Brothers [was] quite scared of TV as well, but they realised that they could be content providers. The big thing in the 1950's was Westerns, and most of the successful Westerns on TV were made by Warner Bros. They adapted and flourished.

3) Today we again see the Paramount ostrich approach with Hulu. NBC/Comcast refuse to let Hulu have enough worthwhile content, so it is dying on the vine. Some of their top execs just walked out. They realise that Hulu will never be allowed to succeed, just as jealousy from the rest of General Motors (especially Chevy) was responsible for Saturn's suffocation and eventual closure.