spc
Search similar:

uniqs
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

margaf

Very new to programming and would like some ideas

After all these years Ive decided I want to learn how to code. I have minimal experience coding, alot of really hacked together stuff a long time ago and some BASIC way back when it was a cartridge on my Atari 1200xl. So Ive started with »www.openbookproject.net/ ··· dex.html and Python (obviously) since from what I have read the syntax isnt difficult and its quite powerful. I know that ebook is pretty basic but once I finish it and feel I have a grasp I will move to something more advanced.

So Im chugging along with no real goal in mind other than I want to be able to code. Im thinking a bit ahead of myself but what should I do to test my competence with it once I get through the online course. Im thinking of a simple project at the end that could make me feel like I did something useful. Im looking for some ideas for a project after I get done, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Have any hobbies or interests? I've always learned best when the project that I'm working on has a real purpose and not some synthetic purpose to justify just what the current programming topic is.

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr
join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC

IIIBradIII to margaf

to margaf
I'd recommend moving from your current exercise into something mobile. Download Eclipse, the android sdk, and some of Google's sample code. Make a little app for yourself to remind you to walk the dog or something - something personal you can use and appreciate when you're done. If you're an iphone user, develop the app for that.
margaf
Las Vegas, NV

margaf to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

Have any hobbies or interests? I've always learned best when the project that I'm working on has a real purpose and not some synthetic purpose to justify just what the current programming topic is.

As silly as this sounds Ive racked my brain and have come up with nothing really useful so far, keep in mind Im a whole 4 chapters into the whole project so I guess its understandable.
said by IIIBradIII:

I'd recommend moving from your current exercise into something mobile. Download Eclipse, the android sdk, and some of Google's sample code. Make a little app for yourself to remind you to walk the dog or something - something personal you can use and appreciate when you're done. If you're an iphone user, develop the app for that.

Im an android user and Ive been told that Android apps are made in Java but that is/was my long term goal, just to write some kind of app for my phone. I grabbed a book about SL4A which seems to be a way to use Python for programming apps but thats way past my understanding at this point.

Thanks to you both for the answers.

ekiM5
Oh Well
join:2001-01-06
/usr/home

ekiM5 to margaf

to margaf
If you want to "dabble your toes" with a android scripting tool - get a copy of Tasker. It lets you automate tasks on your phone (and perhaps a tablet). Not a true programming language but more of a scripting/shell environment. It can be programmed with quite a bit of logic though. You could then begin to think programmaticaly and make a tool which you could use and thus have a goal/project. Sort of a middle ground per your OP. There is lots of documentation and examples on the web.
margaf
Las Vegas, NV

margaf

said by ekiM5:

If you want to "dabble your toes" with a android scripting tool - get a copy of Tasker. It lets you automate tasks on your phone (and perhaps a tablet). Not a true programming language but more of a scripting/shell environment. It can be programmed with quite a bit of logic though. You could then begin to think programmaticaly and make a tool which you could use and thus have a goal/project. Sort of a middle ground per your OP. There is lots of documentation and examples on the web.

Excellent, thanks that sounds very useful. Im liking the course I found so far, its a giant refresher into stuff I havent looked at for probably close to 25+ yrs which hopefully leads me to some proficiency in coding.