dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

Public Forum Request: Start Communication!

Hey Guys,

As many of you have asked and is interested in for new Start Communication forum. Well here is your chance!

Few months ago, I had created a New Forum Request for Start Communication. It is now 5 pages long with votes but nothing has been done!! »[request] Forum Request: Start Communications!

If you have not voted yet, I recommend that you place your vote NOW! Show some love and make some noise and maybe we will see a Dedicated Star Communications forum!

»[request] Forum Request: Start Communications!

Regards,

Your_Guru

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

1 recommendation

silvercat

hi Mods:

Please don't delete this thread.

thanks.
Expand your moderator at work
stormy13
join:2003-10-28
Pickering, ON

stormy13 to Guru

to Guru

Re: Public Forum Request: Start Communication!

»Start.ca

silvercat

1 recommendation

silvercat

said by stormy13:

»Start.ca

I think what Guru is asking is for that forum to be moved to a more visible area (such as the main Canadian Forum section). It's very difficult to find otherwise.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to stormy13

to stormy13
said by stormy13:

»Start.ca

Thanks for the link stormy13. I was not aware of that...*face palm*
Expand your moderator at work

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to Guru

Mod

to Guru

Re: Public Forum Request: Start Communication!

New forums are a matter of the number of traffic throughput. Back 11 years ago all Canadian providers were lumped together under Canadian Broadband, and there were plenty of arguments about splitting it up. You can, therefore, post about start in the A-Z forum for start which gets traffic on whether people can find it, or in this forum. Other TPIAs apart from TekSavvy seem to generate little traffic, this is why TekSavvy has their own forum and not others.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to Guru

to Guru
Getting to that S forum is a PITA... You can never find it under Forums! Heck you can't even navigate DSLR here well!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

New forums are a matter of the number of traffic throughput. .. Other TPIAs apart from TekSavvy seem to generate little traffic

I understand DSLR has it's policies and I respect that, but not sure I'd agree we have 'little traffic'. 12 of the 49 current topics on the main page (24%) are about us - we're active in several others, and our adhoc forum despite being impossible to find has 6 pages of threads.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Rocca, So, the thing to do is to write to the head mod and make your case for a specific forum under the "Canadian" group. Just posting in a forum doesn't make it a request that will necessarily be seen by people who can do anything about it. Experience says that dramatic growth in traffic gets noticed a lot more readily than slow and steady which is what I see with Start. No offense intended, it's just how things work not just on a site like this, but with the world in general.

silvercat

silvercat

If i recall, before Teksavvy got their own forum placed in the main Canadian forum section, they did not have another forum -- not even an "adhoc" one. Topics with regards to Start Communications are being created in two places: the Start "adhoc" (whatever that means) forum, and in Canadian Broadband. Both places have moderate activity (or i should say, enough that it's "noticed").

The question is, if Canadian Broadband was the only forum where topics could be created (with regards to Start Communications), would the traffic generated be similar to Teksavvy related threads before they got their own forum ?

So what i suggest is this: Rocca i do not know if you can make topics "sticky" in the Start forum. If you can that would help (or we could ask a mod). I would suggest a sticky topic be created in the Start forum, suggesting that all Start related threads get created in Canadian Broadband until such time that the Start forum be moved to a more visible area (main Canadian forum section).

Sound good ?
iamtdot
join:2008-07-18
London, ON

iamtdot to Guru

to Guru
Yes please, I agree!

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug to silvercat

Anon

to silvercat
said by silvercat:

1. If i recall, before Teksavvy got their own forum placed in the main Canadian forum section, they did not have another forum -- not even an "adhoc" one.

2. Topics with regards to Start Communications are being created in two places: the Start "adhoc" (whatever that means) forum, and in Canadian Broadband. Both places have moderate activity (or i should say, enough that it's "noticed").

3. The question is, if Canadian Broadband was the only forum where topics could be created (with regards to Start Communications), would the traffic generated be similar to Teksavvy related threads before they got their own forum ?

4. So what i suggest is this: Rocca i do not know if you can make topics "sticky" in the Start forum. If you can that would help (or we could ask a mod). I would suggest a sticky topic be created in the Start forum, suggesting that all Start related threads get created in Canadian Broadband until such time that the Start forum be moved to a more visible area (main Canadian forum section).

Sound good ?

1. Yes, Teksavvy had an Adhoc forum. All their topics in Canadian broadband were actually moved to their adhoc forum because there were so many. Pages and pages. Not the odd few like we see here with Start.

2. So ask the mod to move all Start topics to the Adhock forum. This way everyone can see the little traffic which in no way compared to Teksavvy's. Acanac had more and were refused.

3. No. This is very visible. Other topics were literally buried by TSI topics here. Thus why they moved it all to the teksavvy adhoc at the time. The tiny few start topics don't compare to what went on then with teksavvy.

4. Why would someone do that and create spam for nothing when they already have a forum and you know about it?

Other than some whiny kids (not like all 5 pages in the forum request in the other forum are all different people, or people who frequent the site more than twice a year), Start has no where near what TSI had, or how Acanac started and was refused. And Ebox for that matter.

The traffic in their own forum is pretty minimal with gaps in days between topics. Seriously, it's low. Nor does it bring anything to the table in terms of the broadband community as a whole. All they want is exposure. Nothing more. Thus why rocca wants it as well. For no other reason than to try and generate sales.

What does this reseller bring to the table? What is unique? Just another reseller who is Ontario-centric only. Unlike what TSI was.

Why not add a Quebec-centric reseller like Ebox?

Other than meeting the forum owner on some discreet park bench and handing over a bag of money, why should start get exposure just because? It certainly isn't the massive amounts of topics flooding this forum (like what happened with TSI) and traffic. That's for sure.

And when TSI had their adhoc forum, there was heavy traffic. Pages. Not a few piddly topics here and there that just keep on repeating the same things over and over again from a previous topic. Very big difference went on that you are selectively ignoring and pretending didn't exist.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state to Guru

Mod

to Guru
Since there's already a request for this in features, we don't need to "discuss" it here.