uniqs

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

[NCAA-F] Manti Te'o's made up girlfriend

I've heard of guys making up girlfriends to impress others, but Manti Te'o takes it to a whole new disturbing level. He'll never come totally clean about this, I'm sure his embarrassment at being caught is too great. But wow, I hope he's talking to a counsellor very soon.

»deadspin.com/5976517/man ··· s-a-hoax
quote:
There was no Lennay Kekua. Lennay Kekua did not meet Manti Te'o after the Stanford game in 2009. Lennay Kekua did not attend Stanford. Lennay Kekua never visited Manti Te'o in Hawaii. Lennay Kekua was not in a car accident. Lennay Kekua did not talk to Manti Te'o every night on the telephone. She was not diagnosed with cancer, did not spend time in the hospital, did not engage in a lengthy battle with leukemia. She never had a bone marrow transplant. She was not released from the hospital on Sept. 10, nor did Brian Te'o congratulate her for this over the telephone. She did not insist that Manti Te'o play in the Michigan State or Michigan games, and did not request he send white flowers to her funeral. Her favorite color was not white. Her brother, Koa, did not inform Manti Te'o that she was dead. Koa did not exist. Her funeral did not take place in Carson, Calif., and her casket was not closed at 9 a.m. exactly. She was not laid to rest.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Te'o & Notre Dame says he was duped and not perpetrating the fraud.
»www.nytimes.com/2013/01/ ··· tml?_r=0

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Yeah, OK.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium Member
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

1 recommendation

Silvanos to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
Who cares??!! why is this such a big deal... he made up a story or he got played but again so what!!

e_dub
franknbeans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-12
kickin ass

e_dub

Premium Member

said by Silvanos:

Who cares??!! why is this such a big deal... he made up a story or he got played but again so what!!

^^this

He also lead everyone to believe that he was a good linebacker, so what?

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Silvanos

Premium Member

to Silvanos
said by Silvanos:

He's about to enter the NFL draft. Teams that might have been interested in him are now going to wonder if he has mental problems.

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

Grimm to shaner

to shaner
When is Te'o's Catfish episode going to be on?

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
WEIRD WEIRD story.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to footballdude

MVM

to footballdude
said by footballdude:

said by Silvanos:

He's about to enter the NFL draft. Teams that might have been interested in him are now going to wonder if he has mental problems.

^^ This. He screwed himself out of millions of dollars most likely.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
I think I feel bad for him? But I don't know if those feelings exist.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to pflog

to pflog
Yes he probably did. The story about being duped is likely an attempt to mitigate his losses. I think he was fully aware of and participated in the fake girl friend story and death to bring attention to himself...which is pretty messed up.

I won't feel sorry for him though. If he signs for a minimum salary he will make $390,000.

The pre draft interviews for him are going to be brutal. Teams compare notes too so they can check the consistency of a players answers.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
Speaking just for my self I understand why this story is newsworthy enough to be reported by the media.

What I totally cannot understand is the degree and fervor of the coverage. I personally fail to see why it is a big story or why the apparent degree of public interest or fervor about it or the implied huge significance of this, IMO minor tabloid level story.

jimothy
@comcast.net

jimothy to Silvanos

Anon

to Silvanos
said by Silvanos:

cause this could turn out to one of the greatest internet trolls of all time

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
Because of the player and school involved, but mostly because the entire media world fell for the story hook, line, and sinker. They're incredulous that they could fall for it so heavily and this upstart online news source scooped them all, so the more the mainstream media reports it, then it looks like they uncovered the lie themselves and don't look so foolish.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
The NY Jets are reported to be wanting Manti Te'o. Rex Ryan believes he can add to the chaos.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to footballdude

Premium Member

to footballdude
said by footballdude:

said by Silvanos:

As opposed to many of the other pampered, self centered, narcissistic prima-donnas going up for grabs in April?

There are worse scandals to be involved in.
rockotman

rockotman to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

Because of the player and school involved, but mostly because the entire media world fell for the story hook, line, and sinker. They're incredulous that they could fall for it so heavily and this upstart online news source scooped them all, so the more the mainstream media reports it, then it looks like they uncovered the lie themselves and don't look so foolish.

Shows the credibility and credulity of journalists these days. Don't vet a story; run with it.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

said by rockotman:

[
Shows the credibility and credulity of journalists these days. Don't vet a story; run with it.

And to me, a journalism school grad and an award winning broadcast reporter from the field, what you just said there is the real story to me.

They got fooled by Manti, and now they're hammering him for it out of embarrassment.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to pflog

to pflog
said by pflog:

said by footballdude:

said by Silvanos:

^^ This. He screwed himself out of millions of dollars most likely.

Most of the stuff I read said 8-10 teams were interested in him now all 32 are interested in talking to him.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
said by Blogger:

What I totally cannot understand is the degree and fervor of the coverage. I personally fail to see why it is a big story or why the apparent degree of public interest or fervor about it or the implied huge significance of this, IMO minor tabloid level story.

I agree. Seriously. Everything all day yesterday was about this story. Seriously? Why do so many people are? Or so it just what the media wants us to care about?!

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by I AM:

said by Blogger:

I agree. Seriously. Everything all day yesterday was about this story. Seriously? Why do so many people are? Or so it just what the media wants us to care about?!

It's filler to hold people over until Sunday.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

aaaaaaaaahhhhh. Atleast they didn't talk about how much my Lakers suck yesterday. Well done ESPN.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to drslash

to drslash
said by drslash:

Yes he probably did. The story about being duped is likely an attempt to mitigate his losses. I think he was fully aware of and participated in the fake girl friend story and death to bring attention to himself...which is pretty messed up.

At some point he started participating in the fake story; it's kind of hard to tell at what point yet. But since he became aware of the fakery on December 6 (according to Notre Dame), and then mentioned her publicly twice after that, he was definitely participating in the fakery then.

The other big part of the story is ESPN and Notre Dame getting all butt-hurt about the deflation of the heroic image they projected of the guy.

That deadspin article shaner posted was some good reporting by the way. »deadspin.com/5976517/man ··· s-a-hoax

Silvanos
Premium Member
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos

Premium Member

said by fatness:

That deadspin article shaner posted was some good reporting by the way. »deadspin.com/5976517/man ··· s-a-hoax

No it's not! THey were tipped off and used google...

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Which is something nobody else bothered to do.

Silvanos
Premium Member
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos

Premium Member

said by shaner:

They were tipped off!!! anyone who was tipped off would have looked into it, it wasn't good reporting!

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
He was embarass ok. I would be too!

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

rolfp to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· pGhIZJWw

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to Silvanos

to Silvanos
said by Silvanos:

said by shaner:

They were tipped off!!! anyone who was tipped off would have looked into it, it wasn't good reporting!

They were tipped off, they looked into it, they reported everything they found while looking into it. Nobody else did that. It was good reporting.

Silvanos
Premium Member
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos

Premium Member

I still disagree 100% it's a entertainment piece on a guy written from a tip. There's no reporting there. They basically said this may be true, but we need proof...