ChiSin
join:2011-12-16

ChiSin

[WIN7] Drive Management Problems Please Help

Click for full size
OLD
Click for full size
CURRENT
I have a dual boot Vista 32/W7 64 drive. Had some problems and had to restore a backup. But seems the drive letters have changed. Here are pics of the old and the new. How to change it back to the OLD? Or should I?
Thanks in advance for your feedback!
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Windows has been making it's os drive C: even if it's not the first drive, or partition on the disk.
ChiSin

ChiSin

Thanks the question relates more to NOT assigning a drive letter to NVCACHE and also the recovery partition. If you look at the OLD PICTURE that is how it WAS set up. Can I revert it back? How? Just go into properties and unassign?

darkwish
Free Knight
Premium Member
join:2003-09-12
Fairfax, VA

darkwish to ChiSin

Premium Member

to ChiSin
In disk management, you can right click the partition and choose "Change drive letter and paths".

From there, you can change the drive letter assigned to that partition, or remove it completely by clicking on "Remove"
ChiSin

ChiSin

hi thanks, removing it has no real implictions right? I mean the system would still boot properly and all? Scared!

darkwish
Free Knight
Premium Member
Fairfax, VA

darkwish

Premium Member

Yes, besides the drive letter that your windows is installed to (C:\), should be fine.
ChiSin

ChiSin

Means the partition will remain right? Just that it has no letter?

And the computer might boot faster?

darkwish
Free Knight
Premium Member
Fairfax, VA

darkwish

Premium Member

Yes, removing the drive letter doesn't remove the partition. Probably won't boot faster. I don't see how drive letters would affect boot time at all.
ChiSin

ChiSin

Please look at the NEW photos. Can I remove the drive letter for "D" without harming anything? Says "active, etc." Thanks so much in advance. Just a scared newbie. Thanks!