how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robman50

join:2010-12-14
reply to robman50

Re: [WIN8] XP Mode

Didn't MS have an 'virtual pc' program of some sort? I have the expertise in that so Hyper-V should be similar.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Nah....I have Vista Ultimate set up in Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 so I know how to use it. I was looking at hyperV last week and it does look very nice but a lot of differences between it and the old VirtualPC. I wanted to import my XP Pro VMWare Workstation virtual machine to hyperV but that looked difficult. So, I installed Virtualbox thinking it might be easier to import to it but I haven't really looked into it yet.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to robman50

said by robman50:

Didn't MS have an 'virtual pc' program of some sort? I have the expertise in that so Hyper-V should be similar.

Other than basic function, there really aren't many similarities. I have no way of knowing, but it doesn't appear to me to share much of any of the same code. Hyper-V with XP wasn't that difficult to set up, but I remember having to go to Google a few times to look up how to do a few things. Setting up the NIC wasn't easy as pie.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Was there a Hyper V with XP? Not as far as I know. I could only use Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 and it lacks snapshots...just drop disk. It was nowhere near as good as VMWare Workstation but at the time I had Workstation 5.5 and it would not allow Vista except as experimental with a zillion problems so I had to use Virtual PC. Sort of the same situation now where I own Workstation 7 and that version cannot be used on Windows 8.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2

You misunderstood me. Hyper-V with Windows XP installed under it on a Windows 8 system. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Ahhh...got it now.