Trooper
Premium Member
join:2005-05-18
USA

Trooper

Premium Member

What AV are you running?

Hi folks,

I am curious what AV everyone is running these days. I am normally an Eset guy, but my license is going to expire soon. Would prefer something light and with good detection/cleanup capabilities.

I have used Avast in the past, and it was usually pretty good. Just a few fp's over the years.

I am hearing good things about BitDefender of late, and I still think Avira is pretty strong.

Looking for some recommendations for a Windows 7 machine running x64.

Thanks folks.

Cheers

P.S. Not sure if I am going to renew Eset, so looking for some insight.

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

marti

MVM

Eset on computers; Kaspersky on smart phone & Nexus7 Tablet.

I would never use a free AV on my systems, nor my friend's systems.

georgermct
PERFORMANCE
join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT

georgermct to Trooper

to Trooper
Kaspersky

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

1 recommendation

MarkAW to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
Avast Pro on my Win 7 Pro.
Avast free on my Win 7 Home Prem.
Avast free on my Win XP Pro.
Avast free on my 2 64bit Vista Home Prem.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
NIS 2013 Windows 8 64 bit
NIS 2013 Windows 7 64 bit
Avira Free Windows 7 32 bit
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to MarkAW

Premium Member

to MarkAW
Avast has too many FP's. It says there is a trojan in WinPatrol.

I never thought I would do this but I now use Windows Defender on Win 8. I don't get FP's, I don't get my AV locking HostsMan when supposedly it, by default, excludes the hosts file from scanning, I don't have a new AV refusing to install because I have Spyware Blaster installed, etc. I don't have problems with Windows Defender. Yeah, I know its detection rate is not very good but it doesn't give me serious headaches for no reason like every other AV does.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

4 recommendations

antdude to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
We need a new AV poll for 2013!

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
Avast Pro for my Win 7 machine.
Avast Free on my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

2 recommendations

SparkChaser to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
NIS on an XP and 2 Win 7 laptops

It saved my butt this morning. I occasionally get a 'join my group' email from LinkedIn, so when I got one today I didn't think anything of it. It was a virus. Fortunately Norton stopped it as soon as I clicked read.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

1 recommendation

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I get those LinkedIn emails every day. The only one that is not Spam goes to my inbox in Gmail. Gmail marks all of the others as Spam.

Good block by Norton!

OCZ
The Former Pocket
join:2009-05-15
Saint Paul, MN

OCZ to Trooper

to Trooper
Microsoft Security Essentials on all 3 computers in the house.

CovMac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA

CovMac

Premium Member

+1

Hyrules
join:2006-07-19
Gatineau, QC

1 recommendation

Hyrules to Trooper

to Trooper
NOD32 V5.

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
Emsisoft on my main PC's, my others PC's use the free version of Avast.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Trooper

MVM

to Trooper
Avira free on both of my PC's.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Trooper

to Trooper
McAfee Internet Security
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704 to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
said by Trooper:

I am curious what AV everyone is running these days.

AV is probably the [least] important part of a balanced security breakfast.

Hardware/router firewall, software firewall especially with malware defense, HIPS and/or other system hardening, keeping the OS and all software updated, running the OS with limited privileges, disabling Java, using broswers other than IE, disabling Javascript in your browsers, using the anti-malware features in your browsers, being careful on what e-mails you open, being careful when you plug someone else's flash drive or other data device into your machine, etc., etc....

By the time something reaches your AV, that's bad news if it hasn't been stopped by then....

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

AV is probably the [least] important part of a balanced security breakfast.

Hardware/router firewall, software firewall especially with malware defense, HIPS and/or other system hardening, keeping the OS and all software updated, running the OS with limited privileges, disabling Java, using broswers other than IE, disabling Javascript in your browsers, using the anti-malware features in your browsers, being careful on what e-mails you open, being careful when you plug someone else's flash drive or other data device into your machine, etc., etc....

By the time something reaches your AV, that's bad news if it hasn't been stopped by then....

Okay, I'm here to learn. If you take a look at my post above, what should I be using to stop that type of intrusion?

Hyrules
Gatineau, QC
·EBOX

Hyrules to Trooper

to Trooper
Wow Blackhole is currently one of the worst malware running around. Since the attack seems to have been blocked there is not much you can do. You must have visited an infected website. Keep you computer up to date as well as your antivirus and you should be fine. But even if you had 42 software or hardware firewall protecting your computer you could get infected anyway. Antivirus are there to slow down the unavoidable. No antivirus or antimalware software is perfect. 0 days virus and malware are the worst. you will get infected even if you av is up to date.

that's stupid but if you dont want to get infected dont use your computer.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by Hyrules:

Wow Blackhole is currently one of the worst malware running around. Since the attack seems to have been blocked there is not much you can do. You must have visited an infected website.

Yes, the website was part of the bogus LinkedIn email. I just clicked the email. never saw the site. NAV lit up and blocked it. I hope

The IP address shows up as being Russia

Hyrules
Gatineau, QC
·EBOX

Hyrules to Trooper

to Trooper
Yes that's one of the common way those things "reproduce". Good thing you had an av because you computer just avoided becoming a zombie. You would'nt even had know it and your computer could've been used for all kind of things but mostlikely DDos attacks.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704 to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

If you take a look at my post above, what should I be using to stop that type of intrusion?

Well, my first answer would be to not respond to [any] e-mails purportedly from Linked-In. However I realise that you might say it's necessary for your business.

My second point would be to ask if you are using a Microsoft e-mail program. If so, I would consider an alternative such as Thunderbird. This is especially true if you are using an older MS e-mail program.

In any event, your e-mail program should be set to screen for spam/phishing/malware, to block scripts and active content, and (unless you need them) to block images.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
avast! Internet Security on all 5 computers.

Trooper
Premium Member
join:2005-05-18
USA

Trooper

Premium Member

Wow seems like a lot of you are using Avast or NIS. I have a license for Avast left until May.

What about NIS? Thought it was getting heavy again for the 2013 version? Also, doesn't it automatically delete things without giving you user control over it?
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

... running the OS with limited privileges...

This one always makes me raff-out-rowd.

But, for the record, McAfee Enterprise Edition.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint to Trooper

to Trooper
MSE along with Malwarebytes real-time. Light weight and so far so good - knock on virtual wood.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
On my desktop and laptop I use Avast. I've been with them since the 4.8 version and haven't looked back.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
Slowly moving from Avast to MSE on MS computers.
None on 'nix desktops.
Mail server runs Clam.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
NIS 2013 on the Vista laptop.
NAV 2012 on the Vista desktop.

no__1__here
Premium Member
join:2003-10-13
Tomball, TX

no__1__here to Trooper

Premium Member

to Trooper
I have MSE on the three PC's (XP, Win7, and Win8) used by my wife & kids. Avast was used for several years on them before moving to MSE last year.

Tablet has Avast Mobile.

I currently have no resident AV on my desktop. Malwarebytes, ClamAV and VirusTotal for on-demand scans. Previously I used Avast for several years and before that Kaspersky. Of course I practice safe hex, but resident AV is at the bottom of my personal list. I don't advocate this configuration for everyone.