spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2

Waterless Coolant

Saw this on TV last night. It seemed kind of a good idea if it works. The guy on TV actually removed the radiator cap on a hot engine and there was no boil over because the boiling point is 180 degrees c, not 100c+ with water and antifreeze. Evidently it also works down to -40F

»www.evanscoolants.co.uk/

Frankly I don't believe anything I see on TV ads, but this looked decent if it works.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve

This does look interesting, but notably absent from their FAQ:

"Q - Will this void my vehicle's warranty?"

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

Mospaw to bgraham2

to bgraham2
Coolant is complex stuff, and the wrong coolant can do serious engine damage over time.

Until [insert manufacturer name here] says I can put it in my [insert car name here] without no ill effects, like voiding my warranty as Steve See Profile alluded to, or corroding internal components, or plugging my radiator, or any other issues, I'll stick with the recommended fluids.

Another claim they make: "No Water - No Overheating
Classic Cool 180° has a boiling point of 180°C and will not boilover."

This is disingenuous at best. There is a difference between overheating an engine and boiling over. 180C = 356F. If your engine has an issue or there's a leak in your system that causes your car to run too hot, OK, this stuff won't boil over at the lower temperatures traditional coolant will. It's misleading to imply that this coolant will somehow prevent an engine / cooling system with issues form overheating, though.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

said by Mospaw:

It's misleading to imply that this coolant will somehow prevent an engine / cooling system with issues form overheating, though.

+1

A too-hot engine causes damage, no matter what temp the coolant is. The fact that the actual coolant hasn't "boiled" is truly immaterial. The metal components are what matters.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by mattmag:

said by Mospaw:

It's misleading to imply that this coolant will somehow prevent an engine / cooling system with issues form overheating, though.

+1

A too-hot engine causes damage, no matter what temp the coolant is. The fact that the actual coolant hasn't "boiled" is truly immaterial. The metal components are what matters.

when the the Thermostat fails, it normally fails in open position.

if it fails in close position the engine overheats

normal aka perfect spot is in the middle.