Search similar:

uniqs

Jbstormburst
@verizon.net

Jbstormburst

Anon

DD-WRT Support?

Hello, DSL Reports.

I've had FiOS for a few months now, and just recently put in a Cisco Linksys E4200 Rev. 2 as a front-end via your LAN-to-LAN tutorial. Both are still with stock firmware.

However, I am curious if there is a DD-WRT build that supports the MI424-WR REV I (I know there is support for the E4200), and whether I should go through the trouble to upgrade or not, for both routers.

Additionally, if so, would I be able to preserve settings, or do I need to re-input them?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

There's no dd-wrt support for the Rev I. If you put it on your E4200, you'll have to redo all the setup. The settings do not copy over.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to Jbstormburst

Premium Member

to Jbstormburst
AFAIK, there is no MoCA support in any 3rd party router firmware for any versions of the MI424WR...

/M
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to Jbstormburst

to Jbstormburst
I have DD-WRT on my WNDR3700 , love it

Jbstormburst
@verizon.net

Jbstormburst

Anon

Thanks for the clarification, as someone on the REV I thread mentioned they had DD-WRT on their own VZ router, so I wanted to make sure.

Although, all considering, is it possible that third-party firmware might gain MoCa support one day? And can anyone comment on DD-WRT's performance on the E42000 v2?

Also, right now, I have a PS3, Wii, and 3DS XL, so I'm wondering if any of them accept a pure 5 GHz signal? When I tired to set up a dedicated 5 GHz band, the network SSID would not come up if I attempted a scan.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by Jbstormburst :

Thanks for the clarification, as someone on the REV I thread mentioned they had DD-WRT on their own VZ router, so I wanted to make sure.

Although, all considering, is it possible that third-party firmware might gain MoCa support one day? And can anyone comment on DD-WRT's performance on the E42000 v2?

Also, right now, I have a PS3, Wii, and 3DS XL, so I'm wondering if any of them accept a pure 5 GHz signal? When I tired to set up a dedicated 5 GHz band, the network SSID would not come up if I attempted a scan.

I will show you my 5ghz settings on (WNDR3700) should be similar since it's DD-WRT , I think you have to put it under AES only to have 5GHZ working properly.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Jbstormburst

MVM

to Jbstormburst
said by Jbstormburst :

is it possible that third-party firmware might gain MoCa support one day?

I believe that Entropic (the MOCA chip manufacturer) wants $25K for the MOCA SDK. Unlikely that the DD-WRT folks are going to underwrite that for just a few users.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

I've seen some mention around the Internet of some folks getting OpenWRT running on an ActionTec with MoCa support. I can't confirm how valid it is but the driver I suppose wouldn't be super hard to get a hold of from elsewhere if the MoCa chips become more common.

anon12456789
@verizon.net

anon12456789

Anon

If you go to openwrt you will find that a couple of the action routers are actually supported, the question is what verizon will do with the equipment that is modified? they do updates and stuff....

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by anon12456789 :

they do updates and stuff....

That's not an issue. Once you replace the VZ firmware, the router no longer phones home for updates.

Jbstormburst
@verizon.net

Jbstormburst

Anon

Does that include the Revision I? And if so, are there any major differences between OpenWRT and DD-WRT that I should be aware of? And would I lose any functionality, since I am using Triple Play?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

There is no custom firmware for the Rev I.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Jbstormburst

MVM

to Jbstormburst
said by Jbstormburst :

Does that include the Revision I?

No. DD-WRT only supports Gen 1 Actiontecs (rev. A, C, D).
»www.dd-wrt.com/site/supp ··· database
Likewise, Open WRT.
»wiki.openwrt.org/toh/sta ··· ctiontec
said by Jbstormburst :

are there any major differences between OpenWRT and DD-WRT that I should be aware of?

Not an expert on either. You need to research that yourself.
said by Jbstormburst :

And would I lose any functionality, since I am using Triple Play?

Neither implementation supports MOCA, so you have the exactly the same limitations are any other non-MOCA router. You would need a MOCA bridge in order to support your STBs.