share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Avast detecting trojan in WinPatrol

Click for full size
GData detects a trojan in WinPatrol before GData has finished updating its installation. It detects instantly upon installation before I even have a chance to configure GData. (To confuse me, the "virus" is in WinPatrol's Hosts file and GData also locks and cripples HostsMan which is very weird because GData support says the Hosts file is excluded from scanning by default).

Anyhow, it's the Avast engine (not the Bit Defender engine) that is detecting the trojan in WinPatrol. I know a lot of folks here use both Avast and WinPatrol so are you all seeing this also? I've had to uninstall GData twice now because of this. GData is set by default to disinfect but I tell it to ignore the file. I don't know if GData's locking HostsMan has anything to do with it detecting this trojan in WinPatrol's Hosts file or not but I suspect the two are somehow connected.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Old Computer
Premium
join:2002-04-12
France

I use Avast free version, WinPatrol and Hostsman.
I have made a full scan with the latest defs from Avast (13017-0)
and came clean at the end.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to Mele20

I use Avast free, Winpatrol paid, and copy/paste hosts file entries from mvps.
I have not seen this issue before.
--
~ Project Hope ~

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

GData detects a trojan in WinPatrol before GData has finished updating its installation. It detects instantly upon installation before I even have a chance to configure GData. (To confuse me, the "virus" is in WinPatrol's Hosts file and GData also locks and cripples HostsMan which is very weird because GData support says the Hosts file is excluded from scanning by default).

Anyhow, it's the Avast engine (not the Bit Defender engine) that is detecting the trojan in WinPatrol. I know a lot of folks here use both Avast and WinPatrol so are you all seeing this also? I've had to uninstall GData twice now because of this. GData is set by default to disinfect but I tell it to ignore the file. I don't know if GData's locking HostsMan has anything to do with it detecting this trojan in WinPatrol's Hosts file or not but I suspect the two are somehow connected.

Like i said in another thread it's your Winpatrol host file that is being detected as the trojan not Winpatrol.
--
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. (Hmm)
I have enemies? Good. That means I've stood up for something, sometime in my life.

MikeMSN

@arcor-ip.net
reply to Mele20

I think what our support means is that the HOST file is excluded as long as it resides in the system folder. Please send me this hostfile in a password encrypted zip. (You have my email addy) if support gets it they send it anyway to our virus analysts. Might as well tell them directly to have a look at this issue.

Mike