join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to Chicago

to Chicago

Re: Post your 2013 speed test results

CLEAR just before I finally fired them

The same price I was locked into CLEAR for two years for.

Up and down I've seen some decent speed upto 7Mps mostly not so great and frequently, poor, VERY POOR - OUTRIGHT LOUSY. Way overpriced garbage, not reliable, not dependable and I live less than a 1/2 mile from the tower!

I am now free and clear of CLEAR. My advice to anyone thinking of Clear; RUN AWAY! The poor Clear showing wasn't a one off it was FREQUENTLY bad. I was so mad last Dec I threatened to sue if they didn't let me out of the contract they lowered my rate, cut it in half. Same rate I was paying Clear for garbage service I now get smoking service. But if you want YouTube vids pausing buffering never running smooth. If you like watching NetFlix or Hulu Plus at the lowest res a few minutes at a time, then by all means subscribe to Clear. If you like to watch streaming video like it would run OTA then don't.
richyque
join:2012-11-30
Chicago, IL

1 edit

richyque

Cool story, my clear internet has been great. 34.99 plan,

2:28 am chicago, 34.99 plan.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Is that some grandfathered 34.99 plan? In Chicago $34.99 now a days only gets you 1.5Mbs/.512Mbs.

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

xrayman to Chicago

to Chicago
PXU1900 in CradlePoint MBR-1000
WiMAX RSSI: -74 dBm
WiMAX CINR: 21 dB
5.5 miles from tower
External grid antenna
Test at 11:22am local time.
67°F, clear, Wind Calm
Test on local server

richyque
Chicago, IL

richyque to JimThePCGuy

to JimThePCGuy
Im lucky, im in an area where my modem picks up 6 different towers. Plus i live second floor apartment.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Those numbers still seem too high for the current $34.99 plan.

jon skomp
@clearwire-wmx.net

jon skomp to Chicago

Anon

to Chicago

May 10, 2013 - 3:35pm PDT
these numbers are still in my personal "OK" range, but are usually a bit higher (~8mbps with bursts of ~10). i reside directly adjacent to the cell tower i get my signal from. when this service works, it works well for me...
jon skomp

jon skomp to Chicago

Anon

to Chicago
hey forum mod(s) - please disregard and delete my previous speed test-related post. once i saw the numbers other people across the country were getting i came to the sudden realization that my speed sucks. lol. thanks...

xrayman
Kansas City

xrayman to Chicago

to Chicago
WiMAX RSSI: -72 dBm
WiMAX CINR: 23 dB
5.5 miles from tower
External grid antenna
Test at 11:34pm local time.
76°F, Fair, Wind S 7 mph

richyque
Chicago, IL

richyque

2:41 am

5/16/13

ivman
join:2010-08-15
Shortsville, NY

ivman to Chicago

to Chicago
WiMAX RSSI: -71 dBm
WiMAX CINR: 26 dB
5.3 miles from tower
3:58 pm local time
Series M modem.
Netgear Wireless n300 Router.

The leaves are coming back out on the trees and my speeds are dropping.

Skipdawg
The Original

join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA

Skipdawg to Chicago

to Chicago
Sitting here waiting on a phone call so decided to screw off a bit. Ran speed test on my 3 browsers to see who would preform best. Yes it can change by the second with even one browser but hay why not.

IE 10

Firefox 21

Chrome 28

xrayman
Kansas City

xrayman to Chicago

to Chicago
WiMAX RSSI: -75 dBm
WiMAX CINR: 20 dB
5.5 miles from tower
External grid antenna
Test at 8:46am local time.
57°F, Overcast, Wind NW 7 mph

Darth Tigris
@clearwire-wmx.net

Darth Tigris

Anon

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3281.png

Why are my results so horrible??? I have a Series M. I have never gotten good results with Clear here in KC at either residence ...
ivman
Shortsville, NY

ivman to Chicago

to Chicago
WiMAX RSSI: -71 dBm
WiMAX CINR: 24 dB
5.3 miles from tower
11:19 pm local time
Series M modem.

xrayman
Kansas City

xrayman to Chicago

to Chicago
5.5 miles from tower
External grid antenna
Test at 11:16pm local time.
67°F, Fair, Wind Calm

xrayman

xrayman to Chicago

to Chicago
5.5 miles from tower
External grid antenna
Test at 7:55am local time.
63°F, Clear, Wind SE 6 mph

xrayman

xrayman to Chicago

to Chicago
Can't connect to my longtime Base Station ID. This is the only connection I can get now.

WiMAX RSSI: -65 dBm
WiMAX CINR: 13 dB
5.5 miles from tower
External grid antenna
Test at 12:40pm local time.
83°F, Clear, Wind SE 13 mph

ivman
Shortsville, NY

ivman to Chicago

to Chicago
WiMAX RSSI: -70 dBm
WiMAX CINR: 25 dB
5.3 miles from tower
09:10 pm local time
Series M modem.

MOSFET
join:2002-09-29
Garfield, NJ

MOSFET to Chicago

to Chicago

RSSI:-70, CINR:25
MOSFET

MOSFET

Different server, through MegaPath.

DOWNLOAD SPEED

10.03Mbps
UPLOAD SPEED

0.94Mbps
PACKET LOSS

0%
LATENCY

88ms
JITTER

18ms
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs to Chicago

to Chicago

My WiMax is quite healthy today:

On my Tri-Fi I'm getting five bars out of six, 80% signal strength, -51 dBm and a CINR of +13.

My LTE on the other hand, while it has significant signal strength, six out of six bars, 100% signal strength, -79 dBm and a CINR of -10, is giving me very poor speeds at the moment:

I am in midtown Manhattan, New York, zip 10022.
Tempus
join:2013-07-23
MA, USA

Tempus to Chicago

to Chicago
I'm only paying for 1.5Mb/s downstream and 0.5Mb/s upstream, so take that into account when you look at this:

According to this, my upstream is 90% of what it's supposed to be (which is probably within measurement error) and my downstream, at least right now, is about 50% higher than what I'm paying for. Not bad at all.

Of course gaming is problematic because of highly variable latency and about 0.05% packet loss, but nobody's perfect.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs to Chicago

to Chicago
My LTE seems to be slowly moving toward spec.

I am in midtown Manhattan, zip 10022. Before two days ago, LTE was not even showing up in my area according to the Sprint coverage map at »coverage.sprint.com/IMPA ··· ge%20map , even though I had had LTE connectivity for weeks, albeit at speeds not only below spec but even below what I was getting on WiMax. (The Sensorly maps had been showing my area with LTE for several weeks, however, though it was weak, averaging three out of five bars.)

Two days ago the Sprint coverage map started showing my neighborhood with LTE for the first time. However that coverage has been designated as Fair, not Best.

As most of you probably know, Sprint has posted minimum upload and download specs for LTE at »shop2.sprint.com/en/shop ··· 13:4GLTE . Sprint specs promise a minimum upload speed of 2 mps and of 6 mps on the download side.

I called up Sprint to ask what their specs were for LTE in a Fair area. I was told they were 4-6 megs for download and 1-3 megs for upload.

I am pleased, therefore, to say that my LTE is finally in spec for a Fair area. Here's what I'm getting:

Of course, it's 947AM Eastern on a Sunday morning, so I have no idea whether this will stay like this or not. I am also a tad surprised that the improvement, so far, has been incremental, gradual, rather than sudden, in a big whoosh, as I had been expecting.

The bottom line is that we now have a benchmark which we can use when experiencing LTE problems in a Fair area; if we have download speeds above 4 and upload speeds above 1 then we have no beef coming; if the reverse, we can now legitimately complain to Sprint, and they have a legitimate obligation to address the issue. (Whether they do or not is a different matter, of course!)
WX MAN
join:2009-12-13
Evanston, IL

WX MAN

I think what you are connecting to is Sprints own offering of LTE rather than Clear's new TD-LTE which is currently being installed. Sprint will be coming out later this year with some new phones (tri-frequency) that will connect to Clear's LTE on their towers. I am wondering when Clear will start to offer LTE devices to its subscribers? I do think that with 10 million subscribers (retail and wholesale) WiMAX is a money maker for them and that service will be with us for a long time. Sprint may talk more about their plans when they announce quarterly earnings at the end of this month.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

Which raises the following interesting question.

Right now Clear offers its own unlimited 4G service, for the amazingly low price of less than $50. When one looks closely at the service, of course, one realizes why: The WiMax rollout was never completed and, while the WiMax works fine in those areas that were completed, it simply is too immature as a network to suffice; one needs to bundle it with 3G in order to make it worth anyone's while, as so many companies, Sprint, Millenicom, Wireless 'n' WiFi, etc., have realized. Which is why the Clear unlimited service continues to be, for now, pretty useless unless one 1) doesn't travel much and 2) has good WiMax where one is most of the time.

However the Clear LTE footprint may be quite different. The Clear LTE network may very well be widespread enough, mature enough, and reliable enough, that a package which relies solely on it may be of a lot greater value than Clear's current WiMax only service. Do you believe that will indeed be the case? Because, if it is, suddenly Clear's unlimited service looks a lot more attractive, particularly if they keep it unlimited and keep the price where it is. Should that happen, it will suddenly make services like Millenicom and Wireless 'n' WiFi look like ripoff artists.
WX MAN
Evanston, IL

WX MAN

I was told that here in Chicago all towers will eventually get LTE capability and WiMAX service will not be changed. Right now the immediate purpose of the LTE rollout seems to be to reduce the congestion on the Sprint network. Long term your vision makes sense.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

Which LTE rollout? The Sprint LTE rollout or the Clear LTE rollout?

Above and beyond everything else, I find it fascinating that Clear's LTE network seems to be headed for direct competition with Sprint's LTE network, unless I've misunderstood something significantly.
WX MAN
Evanston, IL

WX MAN

The Clearwire LTE rollout will reduce congestion on the Sprint network. Sprint now owns both networks. I don't think that the Clear brand will ever offer smartphones to compete with the Sprint brand.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

Smartphones perhaps. I'm more interested in what they might make available for laptops on their LTE service. If you're right, perhaps they'll never compete with Sprint for laptops on their LTE network either. Which means that Clear's LTE will forever be simply a skeletal safety net to ease pressure on Sprint rather than a full-fledged network.