--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

Windows 8 is fine. You don't have to use SecureBoot if you don't want too. Just make sure it can easily be turned off in the BIOS.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
said by NOYB:

Windows 8 is fine. You don't have to use SecureBoot if you don't want too. Just make sure it can easily be turned off in the BIOS.

That is simply not true at least for the Dell XPS 8500 and Alienware machines. It may also be that it is not possible to turn it off permanently on just some of these machines based on the hardware for these machines as the user configured at point of sale if buying on the vendor's website. Look at the absolute mess that Dell has currently with EVERY XPS 8500 THAT SHIPS with a 32GB SSD cache drive installed. These machines refuse to boot to Windows 8 on the second boot. Dell says it is a Microsoft/Intel problem which it is but even though Microsoft issued a fix in October Dell is not including the fix in their factory image of Windows 8 for these machines. The new owner can't get the Microsoft fix because their machine won't boot after the first boot (or return from the first time it sleeps but instead turns itself off and then cannot be rebooted beyond Dell logo) and Dell has not even included a paper alert with the machine telling the user to get the fix immediately upon first boot.

That situation is not directly related to secureboot but I mentioned it to illustrate that making a blanket statement that one can turn off secureboot permanently if one wants is not necessarily true. Each OEM has implemented UEFI bios differently and it is a potential nightmare out there for customers.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

That's why I ended by saying this:
"make sure it can easily be turned off in the BIOS"