Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to Tomek

said by Tomek:

Invest in Dashcam,

I had it for not two weeks and already caught douchebaggery on video

(youtube clip)

That's perfectly normal in NY. Get a garage or a bumper guard if stuff like this upsets you. Be happy it wasn't a pickup with a towing ball in the back, that would give you something to be really upset about.

And that camera is great, except it's inadmissible in any meaningful way, so ultimately a waste of money.

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

1 recommendation

said by Dodge:

That's perfectly normal in NY. Get a garage or a bumper guard if stuff like this upsets you. Be happy it wasn't a pickup with a towing ball in the back, that would give you something to be really upset about.

And that camera is great, except it's inadmissible in any meaningful way, so ultimately a waste of money.

Maybe it is perfectly fine if somebody uses your junk car as bumper guard. I am not fine with that. And I had pick up truck trash my grille one winter. So yeah, I am upset about that.

I do care about my car, I am mindful of other people's cars.

And if you park like that, don't be surprised to have your car keyed one day, and yeah, it is perfectly normal in NYC.

The cam is ITB-100HD
--
Semper Fi

Dodge
Premium

I do care about my car, which is why I have a garage and don't park on the street unless I really have to. When I didn't have a garage, I had bumper guards both front and back, simply because there is no way around people parking like that, and you can't spend your entire days hunting down assholes to key their cars.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Dodge

said by Dodge:

said by Tomek:

Invest in Dashcam,

(youtube clip)

It may not be admissible in court, but it is with your insurance company and with cops. This avoids the he said she said.

Prime example

EDIT: News footage
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Dodge
Premium

said by Boricua:

said by Dodge:

said by Tomek:

Invest in Dashcam,

(youtube clip)

It may not be admissible in court, but it is with your insurance company and with cops. This avoids the he said she said.

EDIT:
News footage

In the first video (didn't watch the second), you can't prove which car was moving which one wasn't. Just because the one with the camera looks stationary doesn't make it so. I guess if the cops were really diligent (which they won't be in 99% of cases without injuries), they can ask the guy in the front car to show that his reverse lights work, but even then the best they can do is give him malfunctioning equipment ticket, which is he remains calm he can claim that the lights stopped working from the impact.

Overall this was a bad scam, normally when this happens on a "pro" level, the car that is going to be hit has a switch to disable brake lights and just stops. What is your camera going to show then? That he stopped short without brake lights? You still hit him, best case scenario 90/10 fault distribution.

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto

said by Dodge:

In the first video (didn't watch the second)...

You need to watch the second video. BTW, it can be proven the car didn't move. If you watch closely (1st vid), the car WAS stationary while other lanes of traffic was moving.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Dodge
Premium

said by Boricua:

said by Dodge:

In the first video (didn't watch the second)...

You need to watch the second video. BTW, it can be proven the car didn't move. If you watch closely (1st vid), the car WAS stationary while other lanes of traffic was moving.

Watched the second video. Since this is Canada I don't know what happened, but in the US I know a very good way it could have ended. 1) Police investigation reveals that there is no conclusive evidence (aka we don't give a shit and only doing this because the news got involved) 2) the accused sues the shit out of the camera owner for defamation of character, slander and other random garbage (and of course the damaged bumper)

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto

said by Dodge:

Watched the second video. Since this is Canada I don't know what happened, but in the US I know a very good way it could have ended. 1) Police investigation reveals that there is no conclusive evidence (aka we don't give a shit and only doing this because the news got involved) 2) the accused sues the shit out of the camera owner for defamation of character, slander and other random garbage (and of course the damaged bumper)

I agree with both points, that IS the American way .
--

ame101

join:2002-05-02
Southington, CT

Been a pain getting some of the parts(headlights are and front spoiler) when they only built 5000 Mazdaspeed Miata's. But here are some more photos of the damage and cutting the hood open. »imgur.com/a/hJe2q

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Boricua

said by Boricua:

said by Dodge:

said by Tomek:

Invest in Dashcam,

(youtube clip)

EDIT:
News footage

Priceless.

I got a 14 dollar universal mount on eBay and have my droid running anytime the engine is on. DailyRoads Voyager is about the best free app to take care of all your dash-cam needs.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

said by workablob:

Priceless.

I got a 14 dollar universal mount on eBay and have my droid running anytime the engine is on. DailyRoads Voyager is about the best free app to take care of all your dash-cam needs.

Dave

I've actually been really tempted to set this up. I already have the official car mode dock for my Droid X and always dock it when I am in the car. As of now I use Torque extensively and will probably use the Track Record plugin to overlay OBD data over the videos. I just need to figure out if it is possible to have the car mode activation trigger the track recorder directly which would be extremely handy.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz