Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to plencnerb

Re: [WIN8] Reminder Windows 8 Users who miss start

said by plencnerb:

Not saying everyone must be happy with the new interface. There are options out there as has been shown in this thread.

But, in answer to your question, if you want to go back to the look/feel of the "start menu" that was in Windows 7, you cannot do that without a 3rd party tool installed inside of Windows 8.

--Brian

Actually, start button missing was not the thing that really bothered me on Win 8. I was able to get used to it missing. What drove me nuts before Start8 was that when I was trying to grab the right side vertical scroll bar with the mouse (which is how I "scroll" usually) or I just had my hand on the mouse, and idly moved the mouse slightly, up would pop this gigantic black background clock and the charms bar. That was really irritating.

Plus, the charms bar is stupid...really stupid and having to position the mouse EXACTLY in a very specific place (lower left corner was particularly bad what with several things that could happen depending on VERY PRECISE placement of the mouse) in order to get a right click menu or something else also bugged me. Having to call the Charms bar, then bring up Services on it, then bring up Power Options, and then finally be able to shut down or reboot wasn't as irritating maybe because I usually seldom reboot and almost never shut down.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to DarkSithPro

said by DarkSithPro:

From the videos on youtube and reviews, it loads faster, turns on faster, shuts down faster, runs games faster due to DX 11.1 and has better memory management. Just not too sure if I want a desktop OS that wants to be a tablet interface and a desktop interface at the same time. Is it true when you load the tile apps it's running them separately from the identical desktop app? Well the decision has to be made before the 31st. paying 40 bucks for an 8 pro is a no brainer than paying 200...

Yep. All those things are true....the good and the dumb. Metro devices are run separately from Desktop ones. There are two IE 10's. The Metro IE runs full screen and has limitations not on the desktop IE. Also, if UAC manages to drive you nuts and I thought (after more than two months of using it while running as Admin) that it is worse in Win 8 than in Vista (I didn't have Win 7 except for three months of the public beta) then you may have to do what I ended up doing about two weeks ago. I read a lot about users complaining that Windows 8 does not recognize an Admiin account as such (most of them had Win 7 earlier and said it was not like that). Finally, I did what was recommended and I disabled a specific key in the registry that controls UAC. I never had to do that on Vista. But not being prompted to elevate on Win 8 and not realizing that even though I was using an Admin account that most every program would still need more elevation and many will not prompt for it, thus the programs not working properly or some, like HostsMan and Ping Plotter Pro, not working at all, I did the Registry fix.

Microsoft has it set up so that if you turn off that Registry key then NO Metro apps will work. Even Microsoft store will be inaccessible and it is not accessible from the internet just from Metro. But I did the Registry fix anyway. All programs are on Desktop. I don't need to access programs via Metro. If I ever do want to then I can reverse the Registry fix. I had already uninstalled most of the Metro apps. I really hope Microsoft will issue a service pack that will allow desktop users to be on the Desktop all the time instead of having to deal with an OS that has a split personality.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to screavan

Just to toss this out there, but StartIsBack is probably the best Start Menu add-on for Windows 8.

Why?

Simple because IT IS THE WINDOWS 7 START MENU MICROSOFT DESIGNED THEMSELVES. THE ONE MICROSOFT DISABLED THE REGISTRY HACK FOR DURING THE WINDOWS 8 BETA

in other words, StartisBack is first party code. All StartIsBack does is inject code into Explorer.exe that re-enabled the Native Windows 7 start menu that Microsoft disabled during the Windows 8 beta.

StartIsBack is also cheaper then Start8....
»www.startisback.com/

You want the "real" start menu back...the same start Menu from Windows 7, then you install StartIsBack plain and simple

please note: I personally like the Metro screen, i have no use for a Start menu..as i have gotten use to it, but i figured this may be helpful for others.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

None of the buttons work on that site. I can't read the FAQ, or download it, or see how much it costs. This is on Fx 10.0.12 ESR.
--

Woody79_00
Premium
united state

strange...it works fine here on Firefox and IE10.

I guess try the site in IE10.

If your a big fan of the Start menu though, then this one is it because it is the real Microsoft Start Menu...I guess MS left behind the Start Menu in the Windows code and this guy has re-enabled it, and I guess anything short of major changes to windows(a new Windows version) would be required to remove it, since jump lists and various other functions rely on it, removing it completely would cause them serious compatibility issues. MS just hide the native win 7 start menu, and this one brings it back in all its glory.

If you get the site to work, I hope you give it a shot because if you liked the windows 7 Start Menu, then your already at home with this...because its the real deal MS start menu, just re-enabled

Woody79_00
Premium
united state

Just a general reply but

I got around to trying all the start menu replacements for win 8 because we are going to upgrade a few at work this year. My boss pretty much said a Start Menu is a must and even though we will be putting Win 7 on some of them, the boss still wants some win 8 available.

Even though I really like StartIsBack, im really really liking the wide array of customization available in Classic Shell. Its just a fantastic little program...if I had known about it years ago I would have used it in place of the standard Microsoft Start menu..it has really impressed me.

however I will say, if you prefer the Microsoft start menu though, then StartIsBack on windows 8 is the way to go there, if you want more customization options, then you probably go with Classic shell. just my 2 cents.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to screavan

ClassicShell
I tried using Windows 8 for a few days but I really missed the start menu. I was going to try Start8 but it was not free so I used ClassicShell. I love ClassicShell. It lets me customize just about everything. I like it better than the Windows 7 start menu because I can actually add custom programs.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Woody79_00

said by Woody79_00:

strange...it works fine here on Firefox and IE10.

I guess try the site in IE10.

It was Proxo. I bypassed it and then it worked.

The author says this:

"A reboot is recommended after installation. Windows Defender is known to cause slowdowns and not recommended."

I'm using Windows Defender so I guess I better stay with Start8.
--