spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Not A Terrible Deal

Even with the cap, that's not really a bad deal.

Does anyone know what network Straight Talk piggy backs off of?

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

not bad EXCEPT for the credit card crap part. Can use WI-FI when available and go easy on the Data .
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

Straight Talk is owned by TracFone and Walmart, and uses multiple different networks for different products.

This product I [believe] runs on Verizon but I am not 100% sure on that.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

I think it uses Sprint, which that means its crap and you get what you pay for.

OSIU
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Nowhere
·Armstrong

OSIU to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
According to »www.howardforums.com/sho ··· -network, Straight Talk uses the Verizon Prepaid Network.

ST is meh
@sonic.net

ST is meh to Hazy Arc

Anon

to Hazy Arc
ST uses ATT&T, Tmobile and Verizon depending on your phone. My phone uses ST Tmobile (bought ST Tmobile SIM), my wife's uses Verizon (bought ST phone). My ST Tmobile service is slightly worse than when I was on Tmobile (I'm in a big metro area) and my wife's ST Verizon service is rock solid.

All in all ST isn't bad considering you are paying only $45 bucks. It's against the ST TOS to stream music and video, which I do often. ST has never complained at me for streaming but like I said, the ST Tmobile 3g service is crappy so i get a lot of buffering.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

2 recommendations

iansltx to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
Disregard the folks who don't know what they're talking about.

Though Straight Talk does have phones that run on all of the "big four" (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile), the iPhone is an extension of their SIM program, and as such runs on T-Mobile or AT&T (your pick).

As for the cap, I believe that it only gets heavily enforced if you're running on AT&T or Verizon as the underlying carrier. Sprint and T-Mobile give Straight Talk a better deal, and Straight Talk passes that on by not really caring how much data you use.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
According to their site, Straight Talk provides UTMS data on the 1900 MHz band, which is AT&T in the states.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to iansltx

to iansltx
Not completely true I was on St T-mobile and yes they give you more leeway than if you were using AT&T or Verizon, but they definitely care. On St t-mobile I got a call at 3.5GB one month threatening cancellation because I was using too much data. It ticked me off so I switched to solavei which tells you straight out 4GB and then throttled. I didn't want to deal with straight talk anymore because they won't tell you how much data is too much, it varies market by market and provider and they threaten to cancel you with no notice and I don't want to risk losing the phone number I've had for over 10 years.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to ST is meh

Premium Member

to ST is meh
said by ST is meh :

ST uses ATT&T, Tmobile and Verizon depending on your phone.

That is the correct answer. Straight Talk uses multiple providers, and you can choose which one you prefer.

clssclmu
@comcast.net

clssclmu to iansltx

Anon

to iansltx
Here is the breakdown of phones and network that are being sold at Walmart:

Iphone 5 = Verizon
Iphone 4s = AT&T

See Straightalk face book page for more details.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
It depends on where you are as to what provider they will use. Its the same with all straight talk phones. The wal-mart in Orlando has all Sprint phones but the one in the boondocks SC only has Verizon. Here the iPhone 5 is model A1429 (unlocked GSM) which probably makes it T.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
Click for full size
Straight from their site
said by iansltx:

Disregard the folks who don't know what they're talking about.

Though Straight Talk does have phones that run on all of the "big four" (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile), the iPhone is an extension of their SIM program, and as such runs on T-Mobile or AT&T (your pick).

As for the cap, I believe that it only gets heavily enforced if you're running on AT&T or Verizon as the underlying carrier. Sprint and T-Mobile give Straight Talk a better deal, and Straight Talk passes that on by not really caring how much data you use.

Next time, check your facts before saying others have no idea what they are talking about.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

WiFiguru to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

This iPhone is off of the Verizon network. The BYOD/Sim card service that Straight Talk provides is off of the T-Mobile, or AT&T network (depending on which SIM you buy)
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

AT&T or Tmobile depending no your area. You can get either. I have been using ST on my iphone 4 for about 9 months now, and I only just got throttled last month, but that was at 4GB of data used, and it wasnt really that bad, 300kbps in both directions is plenty to stream music or browse the web, just not to use Netflix or youtube.
Chubbysumo

Chubbysumo to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

This product I [believe] runs on Verizon but I am not 100% sure on that.

Nope, they use GSM phones in most markets, and are phasing out their CDMA phones. They currently have a BYOD GSM sim cards that you can get on their website, and the BYOD is for GSM phones only, and its states on their website that they do not support CDMA phones for BYOD, and with this I suspect that the phone is GSM because its plain old cheaper and easier to use. My phone uses AT&T, and in a Tmo only area, it uses Tmo.
Chubbysumo

Chubbysumo to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
said by bobjohnson:

It depends on where you are as to what provider they will use. Its the same with all straight talk phones. The wal-mart in Orlando has all Sprint phones but the one in the boondocks SC only has Verizon. Here the iPhone 5 is model A1429 (unlocked GSM) which probably makes it T.

Or AT&T. You have the option for either when you buy it if you get a GSM phone(which I suspect all iphones on ST at going to be GSM). Check out »www.straighttalk.com/ShopSims if you are interested in switching. You can either get an AT&T set up sim, a generic SIM, or a Tmo setup sim. Just depends on the area. I don't think they use CDMA phones that much anymore, and I think all iphones are GSM.
Chubbysumo

Chubbysumo to ST is meh

to ST is meh
said by ST is meh :

ST uses ATT&T, Tmobile and Verizon depending on your phone. My phone uses ST Tmobile (bought ST Tmobile SIM), my wife's uses Verizon (bought ST phone). My ST Tmobile service is slightly worse than when I was on Tmobile (I'm in a big metro area) and my wife's ST Verizon service is rock solid.

All in all ST isn't bad considering you are paying only $45 bucks. It's against the ST TOS to stream music and video, which I do often. ST has never complained at me for streaming but like I said, the ST Tmobile 3g service is crappy so i get a lot of buffering.

it can use AT&T, and if you don't buy one of their branded phones, its going to be GSM, since they do not activate or allow you to bring your own CDMA phones(tho they do sell them). Also, their service is only as crappy as their proxy. If you ditch their proxy service(which intentionally slows you down), your speeds are fine. My wifes iphone is not jailbroken, and she cannot even perform a speedtest, but her browsing and music, and even netflix and youtube are fine. Mine is jailbroken, and I can skip their proxy, and I get consistent 5mbps or better speedtests on down, and 3mbps or better on up. Their proxy makes all the difference.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
This iphone they are selling is definitely a Verizon model, on Verizon's network, with LTE disabled.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to ilikeme

to ilikeme
I stand corrected. Now, does the iPhone use Sprint or Verizon?

CCNnorthcali
join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

CCNnorthcali to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo
Their iPhone does run on Verizon actually. The BYOD plans are different and, as you note, run off either AT&T or T-Mobile.

jay67
@sbcglobal.net

jay67 to norbert26

Anon

to norbert26
exactly - any store specific credit card will knock a bunch of points off your credit score - better to buy outright. Of course, the new Blackberries will be out in a few weeks. Theoretically.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to Chubbysumo

Premium Member

to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

said by bobjohnson:

Or AT&T. You have the option for either when you buy it if you get a GSM phone(which I suspect all iphones on ST at going to be GSM). Check out »www.straighttalk.com/ShopSims if you are interested in switching. You can either get an AT&T set up sim, a generic SIM, or a Tmo setup sim. Just depends on the area. I don't think they use CDMA phones that much anymore, and I think all iphones are GSM.

I meant AT&T.. Typed their stock symbol instead. It does depend on location by what provider they offer.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to CCNnorthcali

Premium Member

to CCNnorthcali
Correct. Native only. And it's unlocked, so you could easily convert it over to AT&T's HSPA+ on ST, or even T-Mobile when they finish re-farming to 1900.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
Very true. You can tell by the model number on the packages at the store. I have a phone from them and its on the Sprint network. Others that were in the store at the time I purchased mine (a year ago) were VZW and AT&T.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
According to TracFone, Straight Talk is 100% owned by them, its a WM partnership. The same as Wal-Mart Connect is a TMO Partnership.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to OSIU

to OSIU
Not 100% True. ST uses ALL of the networks. The same as TracFone.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to pandora

to pandora
and you forgot Sprint.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to WiFiguru

Premium Member

to WiFiguru
said by WiFiguru:

said by Hazy Arc:

This iPhone is off of the Verizon network. The BYOD/Sim card service that Straight Talk provides is off of the T-Mobile, or AT&T network (depending on which SIM you buy)

I take back all my other posts lol I just talked to a friend of mine that has the straightalk iphone 5 and his is on Verizon.
meowmeow
join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

meowmeow to jay67

to jay67
That's just not true at all. A store card may increase or decrease your credit score depending on your credit situation. Many store cards come with low limits - which makes for high utilization, and that will lower your score. But being a store card has nothing to do with it. For many people, store cards are a great way to improve their score so they can qualify for Visa/Mastercard/Discover/American Express