All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to Doug Parizo

Anon

to Doug Parizo

Re: [Connectivity] I have a TM822; should I install it?

said by Doug Parizo :

Hi all,

A while back I got a note from Comcast telling me I should order a new cable modem for better Internet performance, so I did. Recently, an Arris TM822 arrived. When I opened the box, I got nervous when I saw that it is called a "digital Internet and voice modem." Voice? I don't want to be messing with my Comcast phone stuff: that hardware is all in the attic and its wired to phone lines thou out the house. So, my questions:

1) can I use this thing just as a cable modem without messing up my existing Comcast phone solution in the attic?

2) should I switch to this modem anyway? For some reason, I have a bad feeling about this thing, like its going to take me forever to get it to work. I'm thinking "if it ain't broke..."

Thanks!

Doug

1 No no you cannot, they will try to convince you they can make it work but the computer system will screw it up at least once in your life time if not once a month.

2. NO, return it to the cable store,, mail it back, or have a tech come by for an eq swap and have them give you a standard just HSI modem. If you want wireless, that thing sucks for it anyway, buy a real router.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2

MVM

said by flwpwr :

If you want wireless, that thing sucks for it anyway, buy a real router.

The TM 822G is not a wireless gateway, so that would have nada to do with wireless performance.

It may be a good idea for the OP to switch it for a straight cable modem however, if his Comcast phone service is already running through an emt modem in the attic as it sounds like it might be.

Comcast Char
@comcast.com

Comcast Char to flwpwr

Anon

to flwpwr
this is simply a docsis 3 modem/phone equipment that allows the equipment to bond to all 8 channels and get the speeds you need . You can use this equipment just as a ((((modem)))) AS LONG AS IT IS SETUP THAT WAY!!!