join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

Google Nexus 4 arrives today ... which prepaid?

I have a Google Nexus 4 arriving today (out for delivery per UPS).

Which pre-paid? Straight talk $45 unlimited (T-Mobile or AT&T) or T-Mobile Wal-Mart $30 prepaid with 100 minutes.

I don't talk a lot, 100 minutes would be tight, I may go over by 100 or so minutes a month (another $10-$15 at 10 cents a minute).

Any other pre-paid that will work with this phone (I'm more concerned about data than voice or text).
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
I'm on the Net10 SIM card plan, and my wife is on Straight Talk (both effectively the same TracFone company). You can get Straight Talk codes for about $38 on eBay now, which is pretty damn good. The only caveat is that data is only "unlimited" and you can get silently throttled if you go hog wild (but never happened to us). Never had any issues with the service.

The T-Mobile deal is a good one if you have good signal strength where it matters to you, and you can get by on the 100 minute limit (or don't mind paying a little extra if you go over).

I'd suggest checking out the Howard Forums prepaid sections, there are a ton of lesser-known choices with good options.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to pandora
T-Mo
Straight Talk
--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

wierdo

join:2001-02-16
Tulsa, OK
reply to pandora
Depends on where you are. Aside from my annual cross country road trip, I've been quite pleased with T-Mobile. I was very displeased with the amount of GPRS and/or EDGE-only coverage they had and the number of places I went that had zero T-Mobile coverage whatsoever. (You can voice roam on Monthly4G, but no data roaming!)

But as I said, when in town, which I am the vast majority of the time, T-Mobile is about twice as fast as at&t's HSPA network here, and only marginally slower than my SO's SGS3 on at&t LTE. at&t HSPA is not that good where I live. It'll do about 6-7Mbps, which is fine, but not as good. You should see even better performance out of a Nexus 4 on T-Mobile since it supports DC-HSPA.

Also, you can get T-Mo codes from a site like callingmart for 5-10% off and no tax. If you top up directly, you pay the full $30 plus taxes based on your zip code.

I may switch over to Straight Talk at some point, but only because 100 minutes a month is proving to be too little for me. T'would be nice if I could get another 200-250 for $10.
--
It's wierdo, not weirdo. Yes, I know that's not the 'proper' spelling of the similar english language word.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
I ordered a micro SIM card (as that seems to be what my Nexus wants) from straighttalk.com. They seem to think I require AT&T, coverage in Connecticut for AT&T seems similar to Verizon. Though reports of AT&T network congestion are legendary. Hope it works.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"