Geek4Life
Premium Member
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH

s1deout to qualitybobby

Premium Member

to qualitybobby

Re: [MoP] MoP Progression Thread

Thanks for the tips. We have been planning how we want to handle the Sha fight.

Hoping for some good RNG on groups getting cackled out.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

You'll need good dps. The cackle will take a tank and a healer ever time, but the dps is random at first. From what we've found, the groups will remain the same once they've made a trip, unless someone dies. Then it can get changed up.

Orbs are critical, if he absorbs very many, you won't be able to down him in time to get back. Save your dps cooldowns for the platforms, the enrage timer on Sha is absurdly long.

Stringr
@belgacom.be

Stringr

Anon

Got invited into a terrace run as trial in my new guild. Went in at 8 with no normal experience and got out at 22:30 with a full clear and protectors on elite mode. Was only their second sha kill, real satisfying raid it was. Bring it on 5.2!

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium Member
Troy, OH

s1deout to JB9

Premium Member

to JB9
Lei Shi downed last nite!!!! Took a few attempts to get our rotation worked out for the protectors.

We had a lock and a shaman as well so that helped with the CC plus the lock was fearing one too.

That means we have Sunday and Monday to work on getting the Sha kill and going 16 of 16!!!

I ended up getting my 496 tier shoulders to replace my raid finder ones.

Mordred
join:2013-01-02

Mordred to JB9

to JB9
That is awesome, gratz on the kill and the gear.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium Member
Troy, OH

s1deout

Premium Member

Thanks!!! That moved me up into the top 20 on the server for pallys gear wise now.
Weout44
join:2013-01-17
Miller Place, NY

Weout44 to JB9

to JB9
Finally got Heroic Sheek'zer on Wednesday.. 123 wipes on this difficulty was the message from dbm!!! One of those fights where EVERYONE has to do their job to perfection, or it's a wipe. Overall, I enjoyed Heroic Will over this fight any day...

Mordred

Mordred to JB9

to JB9
Nice, gratz on the heroic kill. Good luck with the rest
Mordred

Mordred to JB9

to JB9
Attendance boss hit hard last night, did not get into HoF. We pugged some newbs and wen to MV. I had been OTing for our runs, so now I needed to be MT. I honestly had no idea why you had to switch the dogs, I just knew they needed it. The MT handles all the calling out. So if anything came of last night as we come to the end of Xpac, now I know how to switch the dogs........ Knowing is half the battle, not sure what the rest is.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium Member
Troy, OH

s1deout to JB9

Premium Member

to JB9
Put in our first nite on Sha. We have 4 sub 10% attempts and our best attempt for the nite was 5%.

Going back in tonite and put the beat down on him. We found the best way to handle the cackle platforms was for me as the tank to run around like a chicken with my head cut off getting the orbs and the healer would help out while the dps pew pew'd the miniboss.

I have faith that tonite we will kill him and complete our full clear of T14 on normal.

Mordred

Mordred to JB9

to JB9
5%, I am sure you will get it tonight.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

Yeah, you'll get it tonight. Are you using hero/bloodlust on the pull and hero at the end?

Also, that's the best way we've found was the tank to grab as many orbs as possible and the others get the ones that appear nearby to their current position.

If you are clearing the adds spamming shadow bolt when you get back (so you don't get overwhelmed), we tend to just burn when the Sha gets sub 10% and the last cackled group gets back.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium Member
Troy, OH

s1deout

Premium Member

We are using hero on the pull as it is up again for the last phase usually.

We are clearing whichever side has 2 adds when the cackle group comes back.

Sha sub 10% - we ignore and burn boss.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

Sounds good. We usually try to clear all of the adds when the group comes back, and try to have one of the dps that is with Sha on adds to burn them during that phase. It makes it SO much easier on your healers to have one or no adds up. Since enrage is not a factor, nuking adds is our priority and it just makes the fight simple.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium Member
Troy, OH

s1deout to JB9

Premium Member

to JB9
The attendance boss got us last nite. We had 2 people not be able to make it and we brought in alternate raiders. Best attempt was 25% last nite. Called it after 3 hours of banging head on desk.

Sadface at not going 16/16.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

Ugh, that sucks. That boss is more annoying than the elevator boss.

Mordred

Mordred to JB9

to JB9
That sucks S1deout.

We got a suprize spawn of the Nerd rage boss last night. It was all casual on vent having fun going through HoF then bam. Not fun, not fun at all.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to JB9

to JB9
So I was writing out our raid roster again yesterday and was surprised to see that I think we are pretty close to being settled on the spots and most all of them being guildies. And I think it's a decent class mix (except for the absence of a pally) and thought I'd post it for you all to get comments and thoughts:

Tanks - DK, Warrior
Healz - Druid, Shaman
Melee - Rogue, Feral Druid
Ranged - Warlock, Shammy, Hunter, and me (Lock, Mage, or Spriest (Spriest so far, particularly for ability to switch to Disc and add 3rd healer in MSV).

The biggest challenge now is schedules and attendance. The Hunter is a great player and great guy, but has a new gf so his mind and priority is there. The Feral druid has a strong desire to raid but 1) needs a lot of development and 2) also has had numerous schedule conflicts. And the two tanks I'd give my left arm if they could show consistently because both are great guys that I'd love to have with us every run but one travels for work and is sometimes unable to attend due to that, and the other one has a shifting work schedule and has had to miss periodically.

I've gone from thinking putting a 10man crew together shouldn't be hard at all, to almost abandoning it all together, to back to thinking we have a shot. Right now, like I say, we have a great crew if we could just all come together. In the short term my plan is to over invite and then decide who goes with us based on the following criteria: Guildie -> Class -> ilvl -> dps/hps. And of course personality is above all of that but if someone goes with us and doesn't fit the team style, they wouldn't be invited thereafter. I also have some up and comers in the guild (monk, hunter, warlock) so... we'll get there.

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9

Premium Member

Hey Carpie, it is going to be very hard to have key roles in your group to always be in flux, it's the sad truth. The key to a solid group is consistency, and unreliable tank/healers will severely hurt you ability to lock down a consistent raid team.

Yes, you will need 2 hybrid people. 1 dps/tank and 1 dps/healer. It is best if you have OTHER people that can help fill these roles as well, but those 2 are pretty much mandatory.

Vincerus
@DFAS.MIL

Vincerus to JB9

Anon

to JB9
Downed Iron Qon last night so now we are 10/12 as a guild. I think that puts us at #3 on server. Last night wasnt a raid night so we had to fill the raid with a lot of subs. We were able to down 2 new bosses, Dark animous and Iro Qon which was shocking. I have to say I really like all the boss fights so far. A lot of interesting mechanics. A lot of the fights seem very overtuned at the moment though imo. Maybe we just need more gear, but these fights are not very forgiving.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

2 edits

Immer

Premium Member

Okay, so this week we are solely focused on HoF for our guild runs (and strongly encouraging our guys to pug MSV to help out other guilds on the server, or RealID friends like Carpie). This weekend we had all ranged... all.... ranged. I'm hoping we can trade a PuG ranged for Polluxx or Braincramp (excellent warriors). After watching the following tips&tricks video

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· FWZLNzZQ
I want to go with the following strat:
• 1 bear tank (he has a feral spec... but he prefers bear and managed 49k in our last attempts, so... I'm good with it).
• 1 Retadin (our OT with solid dps). These 2 will soak the furious swipes, Retadin will take some clemency and selfless healer and we'll see if more adjustments will be needed based on healing concerns.
• 3 Healers, 2 of which are kiters (r.shaman, h.priest, r.druid)
• dps= hunter(x2), Mage, Lock, Warrior

We managed to hit the enrage timer twice last weekend, neither attempt sub-30%, so I think there was a great deal of time lost chasing legs without putting dps on the body. Tougher to do when everyone is ranged (cast bars) and one of our top dps was in the kiting rotation. I think that if we let the tanks take care of Garalon's front 2 legs, and have the ranged destroy the rear legs and burn on the body we'll see better results.

The toughest part about the pheromones, is that it forces us to ask players to take on a huge personal responsibility. Your tanking/healer types are used to this pressure, but asking a pew, pew player to trade that role for a "hey don't mess this up or we wipe" responsibility is quite daunting.

edit: gonna need another kiter if we make it an all-guild run. It was our r.shaman, h.priest, hunter, and PUG(warlock) that did the kiting last weekend.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

quote:
»www.evlyxx.co.uk

Garalon is a single-phase fight where you must kite the boss for the duration of the encounter however 2 tanks are still needed.

Garalon fixates on a random raid member and move towards them. Who he fixates on is determined by a debuff which can be passed between players. Therefore, you can control who the boss is following although one player cannot have the debuff all the time because it deals increasing damage to them.

Garalon's legs can be attacked and killed and doing so slows Garalon each leg slows him down more and makes kiting him easier and ensures that the kiter does not get hit by very damaging abilities that Garalon uses.

Garalon will periodically revive his legs, so killing them is something that must be done throughout the entire fight. Killing the leg also hurts Garalon by the same amount of health the leg had.

The tanks' only role in the encounter is to soak the damage from a frontal cone attack that the boss does and that needs to hit at least two players.

Pheromones Debuff
Garalon will cast Pheromones on the player that pulls him, he casts this debuff once, but it remains active for the entire duration of the fight. Pheromones has several effects.

Every 2 econds, Pheromones deals a small, increasing amount of Nature damage to the entire raid and Garalon fixates on the player who is currently carrying Pheromones and chases them.

The Pheromone afflicted player receives a stacking debuff, Pungency, which increases the damage that Pheromones deals to the raid, by 10% per stack. Pungency lasts for 2 minutes and a new stack is applied every 2 seconds. They also leave a trail of damaging void zones behind, Pheromone Trail.

Abilities
Pheromones is passed to a different player, by coming within 2 yards of the carrier and this also resets it to its base value. So, the damage the raid takes has a predictable low > medium > high > low > medium > high cycle.

If, a player who already has stacks of Pungency takes the debuff, Pheromones will deal damage based on their stacks of Pungency.

Pungency also persists through death so someone has to move over to the corpse and take the debuff from them just as they would if the player were alive.

Crush is a raid-wide damaging attack that deals a high amount of damage to the raid and an extremely high amount of damage to any raid members who are under Garalon. It is cast when the Pheromones debuff passes to a new target and when a raid member is under Garalon. Needless to say nobody should EVER go under Garalon, the area to avoid is indicated visually by a circle on the ground, under Garalon.

Furious Swipe is a frontal cone attack cast roughly every 8 seconds. This attack can be avoided but if it doesn't hit at least two players Garalon gains a stack of Fury, which increases Garalon's damage and movement speed by 10% per stack.

Garalon's Legs
Garalon's legs can be targeted, attacked, and killed. Each time one of Garalon's legs is killed, Garalon takes 3% of his maximum health in damage, and receives a stack of a debuff that slows him for 15% per stack, stacking up to 4 times.

Killing the legs is made easy by Weak Points, a buff that players receive when they are within 12 yards of one of Garalon's legs. This increases the damage that they deal to that leg by 100%. Players who are in the 12-yard radius around a leg must be careful not to accidentally move under Garalon. There are also visual aids in place to help players see the exact range of Weak Points and are visible only when near one of Garalon's legs.

Tank Duties
Tanks must always be in front of Garalon to soak the damage of Furious Swipe, the damage is no problem unless they are low on health.

As Garalon changes direction based on the location of the Pheromone carrier, tanks must pay attention to the carriers is and make sure they adjust their position accordingly.

Managing Pheromones
This is the key to victory. Your goal is have to have the debuff passed among players as few times as possible. The debuff carrier should pass it on at 20 stacks (approx 40 seconds) which is a damage tick of 45k every 2 seconds. This means that you will need to pass it between 4 players before the stacks wear off.

Because the player who is carrying it has to constantly move it is best to assign mobile classes hunters, tanks and healers are the preferred options.

The first player who receives the debuff will be the player who is nearest to Garalon when he is engaged, so you can easily control the succession of players who get the debuff.

Kiting Pattern
The player who is carrying the Pheromones is going to be fixated on by Garalon. This player must kite the boss, so they are far enough away from Garalon that his frontal cone attack will not hit them (15-20 yards) and move in such a way that the Pheromone Trail that they leave behind does not affect the raid's movement and positioning.

Ideally, Garalon should be kited around the outer edges of the room. The first target should go to one corner of the room, wait until Garalon is near, and then begin moving along the side of the room.

To minimise the amount of space void zones take up the player should move only enough to be out of it and should stand at the edge of the zone until a new one spawns so the void zones partially overlap.

Healing Concerns
The tanks will regularly receive large hits, so they must be at or close to max HP at all times.

The whole raid takes a varying amount of damage every 2 seconds. This damage is rises to a peak until after a Crush when it then drops to almost nothing before rising again. The pattern is predictable as long as Pheromones are handled properly.

The only other healeable damage source is from players who stand in or walk through the void zones.

Killing the Legs
DPS players will have to kill Garalon's legs whenever they are up, maximise DPS by standing in melee range of the target leg to get the 100% damage buff but avoiding being under Garalon, failure is penalised by Death, the ultimate DPS loss.

Combat Rogues, Arms Warriors and Fire Mages can damage the boss while attacking his legs resulting in a large DPS increase. Maximising damage in this way will make it considerably easier to beat the enrage timer. Sadly Splash Damage is NOT affected by the Weak Points buff.

Carpie
united state

Carpie

Interesting. Learned two things:

1) Killing the leg also hurts Garalon by the same amount of health the leg had. -- I guess I never realized this. I can now quit swearing every time a leg comes back after I had just got down killing the damn thing.

2) Killing the legs is made easy by Weak Points, a buff that players receive when they are within 12 yards of one of Garalon's legs. This increases the damage that they deal to THAT leg by 100%.

Ok I guess this second item I still have question on. My *understanding* is that as long as I'm in one of the circles, I get the buff an it works on any of his legs. For example if I'm standing in the circle of leg #1, I can still be dps'ing leg #2 and getting the 100% damage dealt buff. This article makes it sounds like I'll only deal twice the damage to the leg that I'm standing within 12 yards of. Anyone able to clarify this point? There are lots of time when he turns fast enough that I'm all of a sudden closer to one leg than I was, even though I can continue to dps the leg I was on.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
woah, wall of text. We hit enrage timer twice... which means that not enough dmg was being done to the body (either directly or we didn't manage to kill 34 legs prior to enrage... most likely a mixture of the 2). If we get 2 cleave classes in the mix, it should help us a great deal, which is why we will be trying it with our OT running as Ret. Once we get all 4 legs down, we need max effort on the body, then we melt each mended leg as they pop up. However, we will give the tanks priority on the front legs, while ranged prioritize rear legs. That way the tanks can do a little bit more than "just soak the cleave". Zero dps due to running to get into range is a bigger loss than just dpsing the body and letting the melee handle the leg "on the other side of Garalon".

My biggest concern remains getting 2 more people to kite pheromones with Me and the r.shaman. I may just assign the lowest 2 dps to that role and be done with it.
Immer

Immer to Carpie

Premium Member

to Carpie
said by Carpie:

Ok I guess this second item I still have question on. My *understanding* is that as long as I'm in one of the circles, I get the buff an it works on any of his legs.

yes. any leg, just not the body /sadface.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya blizz wants you to think its only that leg but it seems to be a limitation of their programing (or they didn't want to make weak points 1,2,3,4)

Carpie
united state

Carpie to Immer

to Immer
The good news is though that if it is doing just as much damage to him, you theoretically never have to target the body. Always stay on a leg and near a leg where possible. You do twice the damage and then knock him down another 3% of total health when the leg drops. FTW

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

yes... so long as the dps downtime is kept to a minimum. letting the tanks handle the front legs and the ranged "help" when they can should minimize downtime.

Carpie
united state

Carpie to Immer

to Immer
said by Immer:

My biggest concern remains getting 2 more people to kite pheromones with Me and the r.shaman. I may just assign the lowest 2 dps to that role and be done with it.

You said you'd have two hunters. They make the most sense to me.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

2 edits

Immer

Premium Member

We'll see how it goes.

edit: One of them is already kiting and is a top dmg done performer in single-target situations (so, I wish I didn't have to use her for pheromone kiting). And sometimes she's holding a baby, lol.

The other hunter is great at PVP, but he was one of the ones unnerved by the prospect of taking on such a crucial responsibility.