join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to Vincerus

Re: [MoP] MoP Progression Thread

Okay, so this week we are solely focused on HoF for our guild runs (and strongly encouraging our guys to pug MSV to help out other guilds on the server, or RealID friends like Carpie). This weekend we had all ranged... all.... ranged. I'm hoping we can trade a PuG ranged for Polluxx or Braincramp (excellent warriors). After watching the following tips&tricks video

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GDFWZLNzZQ
I want to go with the following strat:
• 1 bear tank (he has a feral spec... but he prefers bear and managed 49k in our last attempts, so... I'm good with it).
• 1 Retadin (our OT with solid dps). These 2 will soak the furious swipes, Retadin will take some clemency and selfless healer and we'll see if more adjustments will be needed based on healing concerns.
• 3 Healers, 2 of which are kiters (r.shaman, h.priest, r.druid)
• dps= hunter(x2), Mage, Lock, Warrior

We managed to hit the enrage timer twice last weekend, neither attempt sub-30%, so I think there was a great deal of time lost chasing legs without putting dps on the body. Tougher to do when everyone is ranged (cast bars) and one of our top dps was in the kiting rotation. I think that if we let the tanks take care of Garalon's front 2 legs, and have the ranged destroy the rear legs and burn on the body we'll see better results.

The toughest part about the pheromones, is that it forces us to ask players to take on a huge personal responsibility. Your tanking/healer types are used to this pressure, but asking a pew, pew player to trade that role for a "hey don't mess this up or we wipe" responsibility is quite daunting.

edit: gonna need another kiter if we make it an all-guild run. It was our r.shaman, h.priest, hunter, and PUG(warlock) that did the kiting last weekend.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

quote:
»www.evlyxx.co.uk

Garalon is a single-phase fight where you must kite the boss for the duration of the encounter however 2 tanks are still needed.

Garalon fixates on a random raid member and move towards them. Who he fixates on is determined by a debuff which can be passed between players. Therefore, you can control who the boss is following although one player cannot have the debuff all the time because it deals increasing damage to them.

Garalon's legs can be attacked and killed and doing so slows Garalon each leg slows him down more and makes kiting him easier and ensures that the kiter does not get hit by very damaging abilities that Garalon uses.

Garalon will periodically revive his legs, so killing them is something that must be done throughout the entire fight. Killing the leg also hurts Garalon by the same amount of health the leg had.

The tanks' only role in the encounter is to soak the damage from a frontal cone attack that the boss does and that needs to hit at least two players.

Pheromones Debuff
Garalon will cast Pheromones on the player that pulls him, he casts this debuff once, but it remains active for the entire duration of the fight. Pheromones has several effects.

Every 2 econds, Pheromones deals a small, increasing amount of Nature damage to the entire raid and Garalon fixates on the player who is currently carrying Pheromones and chases them.

The Pheromone afflicted player receives a stacking debuff, Pungency, which increases the damage that Pheromones deals to the raid, by 10% per stack. Pungency lasts for 2 minutes and a new stack is applied every 2 seconds. They also leave a trail of damaging void zones behind, Pheromone Trail.

Abilities
Pheromones is passed to a different player, by coming within 2 yards of the carrier and this also resets it to its base value. So, the damage the raid takes has a predictable low > medium > high > low > medium > high cycle.

If, a player who already has stacks of Pungency takes the debuff, Pheromones will deal damage based on their stacks of Pungency.

Pungency also persists through death so someone has to move over to the corpse and take the debuff from them just as they would if the player were alive.

Crush is a raid-wide damaging attack that deals a high amount of damage to the raid and an extremely high amount of damage to any raid members who are under Garalon. It is cast when the Pheromones debuff passes to a new target and when a raid member is under Garalon. Needless to say nobody should EVER go under Garalon, the area to avoid is indicated visually by a circle on the ground, under Garalon.

Furious Swipe is a frontal cone attack cast roughly every 8 seconds. This attack can be avoided but if it doesn't hit at least two players Garalon gains a stack of Fury, which increases Garalon's damage and movement speed by 10% per stack.

Garalon's Legs
Garalon's legs can be targeted, attacked, and killed. Each time one of Garalon's legs is killed, Garalon takes 3% of his maximum health in damage, and receives a stack of a debuff that slows him for 15% per stack, stacking up to 4 times.

Killing the legs is made easy by Weak Points, a buff that players receive when they are within 12 yards of one of Garalon's legs. This increases the damage that they deal to that leg by 100%. Players who are in the 12-yard radius around a leg must be careful not to accidentally move under Garalon. There are also visual aids in place to help players see the exact range of Weak Points and are visible only when near one of Garalon's legs.

Tank Duties
Tanks must always be in front of Garalon to soak the damage of Furious Swipe, the damage is no problem unless they are low on health.

As Garalon changes direction based on the location of the Pheromone carrier, tanks must pay attention to the carriers is and make sure they adjust their position accordingly.

Managing Pheromones
This is the key to victory. Your goal is have to have the debuff passed among players as few times as possible. The debuff carrier should pass it on at 20 stacks (approx 40 seconds) which is a damage tick of 45k every 2 seconds. This means that you will need to pass it between 4 players before the stacks wear off.

Because the player who is carrying it has to constantly move it is best to assign mobile classes hunters, tanks and healers are the preferred options.

The first player who receives the debuff will be the player who is nearest to Garalon when he is engaged, so you can easily control the succession of players who get the debuff.

Kiting Pattern
The player who is carrying the Pheromones is going to be fixated on by Garalon. This player must kite the boss, so they are far enough away from Garalon that his frontal cone attack will not hit them (15-20 yards) and move in such a way that the Pheromone Trail that they leave behind does not affect the raid's movement and positioning.

Ideally, Garalon should be kited around the outer edges of the room. The first target should go to one corner of the room, wait until Garalon is near, and then begin moving along the side of the room.

To minimise the amount of space void zones take up the player should move only enough to be out of it and should stand at the edge of the zone until a new one spawns so the void zones partially overlap.

Healing Concerns
The tanks will regularly receive large hits, so they must be at or close to max HP at all times.

The whole raid takes a varying amount of damage every 2 seconds. This damage is rises to a peak until after a Crush when it then drops to almost nothing before rising again. The pattern is predictable as long as Pheromones are handled properly.

The only other healeable damage source is from players who stand in or walk through the void zones.

Killing the Legs
DPS players will have to kill Garalon's legs whenever they are up, maximise DPS by standing in melee range of the target leg to get the 100% damage buff but avoiding being under Garalon, failure is penalised by Death, the ultimate DPS loss.

Combat Rogues, Arms Warriors and Fire Mages can damage the boss while attacking his legs resulting in a large DPS increase. Maximising damage in this way will make it considerably easier to beat the enrage timer. Sadly Splash Damage is NOT affected by the Weak Points buff.
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:4

Interesting. Learned two things:

1) Killing the leg also hurts Garalon by the same amount of health the leg had. -- I guess I never realized this. I can now quit swearing every time a leg comes back after I had just got down killing the damn thing.

2) Killing the legs is made easy by Weak Points, a buff that players receive when they are within 12 yards of one of Garalon's legs. This increases the damage that they deal to THAT leg by 100%.

Ok I guess this second item I still have question on. My *understanding* is that as long as I'm in one of the circles, I get the buff an it works on any of his legs. For example if I'm standing in the circle of leg #1, I can still be dps'ing leg #2 and getting the 100% damage dealt buff. This article makes it sounds like I'll only deal twice the damage to the leg that I'm standing within 12 yards of. Anyone able to clarify this point? There are lots of time when he turns fast enough that I'm all of a sudden closer to one leg than I was, even though I can continue to dps the leg I was on.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DarkLogix

woah, wall of text. We hit enrage timer twice... which means that not enough dmg was being done to the body (either directly or we didn't manage to kill 34 legs prior to enrage... most likely a mixture of the 2). If we get 2 cleave classes in the mix, it should help us a great deal, which is why we will be trying it with our OT running as Ret. Once we get all 4 legs down, we need max effort on the body, then we melt each mended leg as they pop up. However, we will give the tanks priority on the front legs, while ranged prioritize rear legs. That way the tanks can do a little bit more than "just soak the cleave". Zero dps due to running to get into range is a bigger loss than just dpsing the body and letting the melee handle the leg "on the other side of Garalon".

My biggest concern remains getting 2 more people to kite pheromones with Me and the r.shaman. I may just assign the lowest 2 dps to that role and be done with it.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Carpie

said by Carpie:

Ok I guess this second item I still have question on. My *understanding* is that as long as I'm in one of the circles, I get the buff an it works on any of his legs.

yes. any leg, just not the body /sadface.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Ya blizz wants you to think its only that leg but it seems to be a limitation of their programing (or they didn't want to make weak points 1,2,3,4)

Carpie

united state
reply to Immer

The good news is though that if it is doing just as much damage to him, you theoretically never have to target the body. Always stay on a leg and near a leg where possible. You do twice the damage and then knock him down another 3% of total health when the leg drops. FTW

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

yes... so long as the dps downtime is kept to a minimum. letting the tanks handle the front legs and the ranged "help" when they can should minimize downtime.
--

Carpie

united state
reply to Immer

said by Immer:

My biggest concern remains getting 2 more people to kite pheromones with Me and the r.shaman. I may just assign the lowest 2 dps to that role and be done with it.

You said you'd have two hunters. They make the most sense to me.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

We'll see how it goes.

edit: One of them is already kiting and is a top dmg done performer in single-target situations (so, I wish I didn't have to use her for pheromone kiting). And sometimes she's holding a baby, lol.

The other hunter is great at PVP, but he was one of the ones unnerved by the prospect of taking on such a crucial responsibility.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Immer

said by Immer:

I think there was a great deal of time lost chasing legs without putting dps on the body.

To counter this, mark the front left leg(or right) and do NOT kill this leg until the end, too much running otherwise. The tanks can get in the green and help cleave down the front right(or left) leg when it's up, otherwise, I just spammed FR healing on myself and it worked good.

Have that priest go atonement (if not already). Key to this fight is blasting down those legs asap as they spawn x amount of time after the previous died.
--
I know you are the only one
A little taste of heaven
You know I am The only one
Your bitter taste of hell

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Immer

I've been pouring through some recent parses of Garalon 10m normal kills... no one is getting the kill through leg death alone. At most they are killing 17-20 legs, which means we will have to do dmg the body. Groups with ridiculous cleave are killing him in 4.5 minutes with only 11 legs down. What makes "death by leg kill" impossible is that he seems to vary when he will cast Mend Leg between 10 and 45 seconds....and the enrage is at 7min.

What we need to work on:
• 4 kiters
• melting all 4 legs quickly under Hero/TimeWarp, then never dropping below 3 stacks of "Broken Leg"
• Destroying Garalon's body whenever we can... preferrably at 4 stacks of "Broken Leg".
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JB

said by JB:

said by Immer:

I think there was a great deal of time lost chasing legs without putting dps on the body.

Have that priest go atonement (if not already). Key to this fight is blasting down those legs asap as they spawn x amount of time after the previous died.

I tried... but as one of the kiters, Atonement spec is no-bueno. Too much movement to be of any good dps or healing. If the mending is based on when the last leg died... then the variance I saw was in the time lapse on killing the last leg... due to ranged running to get legs in range. So, we'll assign the tanks to one leg (say, garalon's front right leg) and have the rest of the raid grouped up near Garalon's left hind leg... everything should be in ranged for max melting.
--

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Immer

I have never done garalon on 10m, but what we did on 25man was always melee on legs if they were up, other wise ranged on body full time. If you have less melee maybe have ranged help out on the legs who can double dot/attack and not lose too much DPS on the body.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Thanks for your help, JB. I'd like to get on the other side of the pendulum (wiping because we ran out of room to kite... which means we neglected the legs too much) and then working toward a more balanced dps approach. That's what I'm hoping to accomplish with this different strat (/PrayingForMeleeDPSThisWeek).

edit: and I realize it's a bit silly to still be debating strats of old-content... but this is still exciting for me. I thank everyone for their patience (or at the very least apathy, lol).
--

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Man I wish i was in there with you guys!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well now that we have guild credit for MV we can focus on HoF.

I need the OH off the 2nd boss, and I think if we can use the slip streams better and do the frogger bit better we'll kill it faster.
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Immer

My first Garalon kill came in 10m. We beat the enrage by seconds. If I recall correctly, we were all ~80k DPS. So, I reckon that should be the benchmark.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Windlord down. Ambershaper sucks. We almost got big construct down... people started getting tired. Will take shots at ToT tomorrow night (frankly, we need a break from the bugs, lol).
--

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

If you guys can beat Elegon, I would assume you can beat Jin'Rok. Much like Ele, it's a bit of a DPS check.

Wishflthinkn

join:2011-01-27
Bruceton Mills, WV
reply to JB

Epiphany- On the next to last wipe I finally understood that the DBM timer was counting down to the start of the cast. That I need to wait till the timer expires and then hit my 1 or 2 button (whichever explosion is being cast) to interrupt the cast. I know, day late and dollar short. Sux that each of us will have to learn the contructs as we get picked by the boss. Jus have to learn fast and avoid wiping the raid as I did 2 X last night. Must do better.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to McBrain

said by McBrain:

If you guys can beat Elegon, I would assume you can beat Jin'Rok. Much like Ele, it's a bit of a DPS check.

I agree... it's just that we can't all learn the "spark" mechanic at the same time... it seemed each wipe had a different person in the construct... so that spreads out the learning curve a bit. We'll get it.

said by Wishflthinkn:

Jus have to learn fast and avoid wiping the raid as I did 2 X last night. Must do better.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You only got the 2 chances at learning. I was all ready to interrupt my own explosion, but I missed interrupting the Construct's explosion by 2 seconds (my "1" was on CD). We all took part in the wipes, lol.

PnE, please go into LFR to practice the construct mechanics. I know I will =)

here's a good video that talks at our level (wipe until you learn!)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=qECqROcP89k

and while we are at it... lets check out the empress video done by the same dudes.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5BApSORA5Y

--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

but for fun, we will be taking some stabs at Jin'rokh before returning to HoF.
--

JB
Stay Gold
Premium

Make a /spam macro to spam in the middle of the fight. That seemed to work for us. Honestly, I don't even remember the buttons anymore.

Mordred

join:2013-01-02
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JB

Jin is pretty easy, def a dps check with very little mechanics.

Tips:

Face his back to where you want the tank to be thrown, this is where the water will form. This is a huge DPS boost, you will want to stand in this.

Save Tank CDs for tank throw, you will have to suck the debuff for 5seconds or so while the tossed tank runs back.

Dump the lightening on the grates around the room, the water can not reach there. Do this till the one before he does his room wide AOE. If you dump it on the grate you will not be able to stack with the group for healing. We would just dump it on the next water pool(But not where the tank will fall from the throw). When the water hits it some raid damage will happen, but it is more than manageable.

Dont stand where the tank lands, it does AOE damage.

Those or most of the things that stand out to me, good luck with him.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Mordred:

Dump the lightening on the grates around the room, the water can not reach there. Do this till the one before he does his room wide AOE. If you dump it on the grate you will not be able to stack with the group for healing. We would just dump it on the next water pool(But not where the tank will fall from the throw). When the water hits it some raid damage will happen, but it is more than manageable.

by the end of the night, this was the last major strat adjustment we needed to make... but we had people falling asleep. Basically, we had some sub 20% wipes due to a dps dying early on in a transition phase (from kiting the focused lighting too far away to get heals). Our best attempt for our first night was 15%... not bad for a crew that is still working on Ambershaper, eh?
--

JB
Stay Gold
Premium

Not knowing if you are standing in dumb or not? Download 'GTFO', seriously.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

yes. What kills us is focused lightning. Not from just standing there, but occasionally someone will avoid fissures, only to have the orb behind them kite into a fissure... or a person just pick a bad spot to kite the orb to right as lightning storm is starting, so they are out of range for that AoE... you only have to goof for 2 sec and you go splat. Only a couple of times did we get a fissure on top of the raid, and those were just normal "everyone needs to find their groove reading the timers while pumping out their top dps/hps". Our gear doesn't give us any wiggle room... the slightest misstep is a wipe on this fight, lol.

I had so much fun working on this boss. I enjoyed every minute of it.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Now take a vacation to azeroth.

Mordred

join:2013-01-02
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JB

I like Jin, fun quick fight once you get the rhythm down. Nice first boss IMO. Horridon is a head banger, but fun. We are stuck on the council, being melee heavy we are having add problems. We will get it though, I am very confident. I would say the trash between Jin and Hor are more tedious than the bosses are. If you can get by that you can do anything