uniqs
share rss forum feed

dslwanter
It's coming
Premium
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH

1 edit

Suggestions (Roaming between WRT54G and DI-624)

Hi All,

Looking for some advice and hoping someone could help. Looking to broaden my wireless coverage a bit on my property.

Here is my current setup:

Linksys WRT54G (running tomato)>Netgear Switch>D-Link DI-624 with latest available D-link firmware for this model (at the other end of the house). The cate5e run from switch connects to a LAN port (Did not use WAN) on the DI-624. Assigned a LAN IP address to the DI-624 as an address inside the range of the Linksys WRT54G and used same subnet mask. Also Disabled DHCP & made the SSID and WEP key the same on the DI-624 as the WRT54G. Assigned channel 6 to DI-624 and channel 11 to WRT54G.

Had it working for a day or so, but the issue is with roaming. If I'm on the WRT54G and connect to the DI-624, all works well. I can then reconnect to the WRT54G with no issues. However if I roam back to the range of the DI-624, I get connection but can't get out to the net. I can then go back within range of the WRT54G and still no issues.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

PS this happens with all wireless devices.
--
Yeah, it's kind of like that.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Your connectivity piece seems right. Just to be sure, you did put in the WRTs LANIP as the gateway for the DI unit right?
Not sure how you ensure seemless connectivity between different brands when there is roughtly equal strength of the radios. Assuming you put in the LANIP of the WRT46G as the gateway for the Dlink? You could have two different ESSIDs and manually switch?? Perhaps move channel 6 to 1 and see if it improves??

NOTE: get rid of WEP thats not security and use WPA2 if possible with min 20+ characters random.

dslwanter
It's coming
Premium
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH

Thanks Anav!

I did point the DI to the WRTs LAN IP as the gateway. I did try the two different ESSIDs and manually switch, no real difference. I will try changing the channels.

Thanks for the security suggestion, I know Tomato does that...might give it a shot!

Maybe it's time to convince the wife that we need to upgrade our network. After all, we're talking two pieces of equipment that have seen the better half of the last decade.
--
Yeah, it's kind of like that.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

You could spend a bunch of time troubleshooting this issue, and I'm sure others will chime in with some great suggestions, or you could take my advice and dump the D-Link.

I know it rubs some people the wrong way when I offer that type of advice, but I've seen way too many of these things and their stupid subtle little quirks to waste any more time on them. D-Link consumer gear==frustrating junk.

Replace the D-Link with a nice Tomato-compatible ASUS, change your security to WPA2-AES and enjoy your network.
--
db