join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PX Eliezer7

Re: What AV are you running?

said by PX Eliezer7:

AV is probably the [least] important part of a balanced security breakfast.

Hardware/router firewall, software firewall especially with malware defense, HIPS and/or other system hardening, keeping the OS and all software updated, running the OS with limited privileges, disabling Java, using broswers other than IE, disabling Javascript in your browsers, using the anti-malware features in your browsers, being careful on what e-mails you open, being careful when you plug someone else's flash drive or other data device into your machine, etc., etc....

By the time something reaches your AV, that's bad news if it hasn't been stopped by then....

Okay, I'm here to learn. If you take a look at my post above, what should I be using to stop that type of intrusion?
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

said by SparkChaser:

If you take a look at my post above, what should I be using to stop that type of intrusion?

Well, my first answer would be to not respond to [any] e-mails purportedly from Linked-In. However I realise that you might say it's necessary for your business.

My second point would be to ask if you are using a Microsoft e-mail program. If so, I would consider an alternative such as Thunderbird. This is especially true if you are using an older MS e-mail program.

In any event, your e-mail program should be set to screen for spam/phishing/malware, to block scripts and active content, and (unless you need them) to block images.