BeesTea
Internet Janitor
Premium Member
join:2003-03-08

BeesTea to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right

Re: [OS X] Mini as an HTPC

Same here. Entire house is wired with gig-e. I'm also a 15 year network engineer with plenty of experience managing networks. Like I said, the question isn't about networking or anything other than people's experiences with a Mini as an HTPC.

The issues with the ATV2 and the Netflix app are well documented with all kinds of silly fixes proposed like DNS changes to somehow affect client issues. I own more than one ATV2 and only two of them have the issue. I suspect there's some generation of them that's affected as not everyone seems to have an issue. Again though, that's not what I'm looking to discuss.

Thanks to all who commented regarding the iTunes content. I suppose having to alt-tab between plex or xbmc and a full-screen iTunes while not ideal isn't too terrible.

Thanks!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Having used a C2D Mini and an ATV3, despite the benefits of the flexibility of the mini, I actually prefer ATV3. I JB'd my ATV2s but actually never used those added features. I transcode to MP4 and dump everything into iTunes. No problems with Netflix with any of my ATV3s (have 3 of them). For me the cost of the Mini wasn't worth the benefits over ATV3.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

1 edit

Daemon to BeesTea

Premium Member

to BeesTea
said by BeesTea:

Thanks to all who commented regarding the iTunes content. I suppose having to alt-tab between plex or xbmc and a full-screen iTunes while not ideal isn't too terrible.

Thanks!

It would seem to me that I could write a program that would get the contents of the iTunes library, either from iTunes or the .xml library file, then, when asked to play an iTunes file, launch iTunes playback of it.

I just chained the "Get Specified iTunes items" action with the "Start iTunes Playing" action and got iTunes to play both a DRM protected song and a movie (I don't own any DRM protected movies). Both played just fine and the movie started playing full screen.

I don't know why plex doesn't just write a little applescript add-on that enumerates the iTunes library and then uses the script to playback things in iTunes.