I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to Smokey Bear

Re: Windows 8 is blocking Linux-based recovery environments

said by Smokey Bear:

The software is not fully functional, some of the features don't work 'out-of-the-box'. Again we see here lack of vendor information which almost always (can) lead to misinterpretation and serious problems. True Image is not just 'standard' software, it is intended to get all data back with a complete PC-backup solution in case of disaster. FWIW this is also one of Acronis' sale argument, they are also talking about "an easy-to-use data backup and hard drive recovery software." Again, a knowledgable customer will know what to do in case of disaster on a Windows 8 PC (anyways let's hope he will know), how about a noob buying in confidence the software will not strike in case of emergency? He isn't interested in hardware issues as mentioned by you nor have the knowledge about hardware, all he need is a working PC, that's the sole reason he bought the software after reading: "New! This software is Windows 8 compatible".

You seriously don't understand this issue and are latching onto an emotional and foolish argument.

The fact that somebody has to go into the BIOS in order to turn off Secure Boot is not some kind of rocket science requirement, especially since on many systems they'll have to go into the BIOS anyway to set the boot order for the CD, and it's the kind of thing you take care of with a knowledge base article.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

2 recommendations

said by Steve:
You seriously don't understand this issue and are latching onto an emotional and foolish argument.

The fact that somebody has to go into the BIOS in order to turn off Secure Boot is not some kind of rocket science requirement, especially since on many systems they'll have to go into the BIOS anyway to set the boot order for the CD, and it's the kind of thing you take care of with a knowledge base article.

Again: you are talking BS, please don't try to characterize me as being emotional and foolish. You are invited to read e.g. the Official Acronis Support Forums and see the light. Please notice that even Acronis haven't an satisfying answer/solution on EUFI-related problems. Finally, don't forget to read posts regarding specific PC-manufacturers, BIOS and EUFI and there's no solution, especially not in the way you are suggesting. You are presenting the EUFI-issue as being solvable, however there are many cases that going into BIOS and making appropriate settings just don't work.

It's obvious you are supporting the vendor no matter they are right or wrong, I prefer to support the consumer, even more in cases where the vendor don't know how to provide support in a reliable, adequate and knowledgeable way.
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

said by Smokey Bear:

You are presenting the EUFI-issue as being solvable, however there are many cases that going into BIOS and making appropriate settings just don't work.

So you're blaming Acronis for not being "Windows 8 compatible" when the underlying hardware isn't either?

Really?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Smokey Bear

Again, "Secure Boot" is a DRM. And, as it always happens with DRM, customer suffers. Why? Because DRM is essentially a vendor's protection from unwanted customer's actions. Nothing less and nothing more. The rest is just a marketing BS around it.

In this case the vendor is m$. Unwanted customer's action is booting any other OS, except Windows OS.

Today (and so far) they can't take complete control over user's PC and prohibit to use other OS's or they'd face many sue cases. But they want to create additional difficulties for user to do so. That's why they specify that "Secure Boot" should be optional (again, at this time so far). But, at the same time, they require the option to be set "on" by default... My guess is, if it's become a new normal, the next step would be - they require to remove the option from the BIOS and allow to boot Windows OS without any exceptions. But that will only work in their wild dreams, I hope...

Returning back to Acronis:
1. By "Secure Boot" design - there is no way to boot any other OS except Windows 8. And Acronis True Image is that "unauthorized" OS. You have to turn off that feature (if you can) in order to use it.
2. The only thing, that I can blame Acronis for, is - they did not warn every their customer to turn off "Secure Boot" as a first necessary step of using True Image.
3. If users discover that they can't turn "Secure Boot" in their PC, they should return that PC back to manufacturers as a "lemon" (you can't restore your data in case of any hardware failure).
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...