spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

paradiss9

join:2006-06-29
Levittown, NY

[Northeast] [Support] Internet Out Again (10+ Times)

Over the past 12 months I have had issues with my FiOS Internet. Randomly while downloading files that hit full downstream speed (75Mbit, although more like 82) the internet will go out, approx 1 in 3 times the internet will come back with a simple router reboot. The other times the ONT has to be rebooted, which requires a 20 minute song and dance with hoop jumping with verizon support to get them to reboot the ONT. We had a tech to the house 3 times, first one replaced the router. Second one replaced all the wiring from the wall jack to the router, and had the ONT rebooted. 3rd time (same guy as 2nd visit) ran a new coax drop from ONT to Router and could still not connect. ONT was then replaced and internet worked fine for 2 weeks. Last night the internet went out again and 3 router reboots, with no luck.

Router Replaced
ONT Replaced
All Wiring from ONT to Router Replaced (and plugged directly from ONT to Router, bypassing the splitter for TV's)

What should I do? I am out of ideas.

What makes me really mad, is the awesome service guy that came the 2nd and 3rd time gave me his business card and I can not find it, would probably saved me 20 mins on a support call rebooting the router.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1

I know it's not much help, but, you can reboot the ONT by taking out the battery and unplugging it (then putting everything back).
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

paradiss9

Levittown, NY
reply to paradiss9

Just open up the panel outside and pull the battery cable? This could save me a lot of trouble for quick fixes.

Going to give verizon a call to try and schedule another service tech.

next time t will reboot the ont myself.

Ty for the info.

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA
reply to paradiss9

When you have to reset the ONT have you ever looked at the lights to see if there are any error lights lit? My guess since they have replaced everything else is the problem is at the central office most likely with the PON card you are hooked to. Sadly getting them to troubleshoot that is near impossible without multiple people on the same card complaining. You may want to check with any neighbors that have FiOS and see if they have noticed any of the same problems, if they have then it defiantly points to a problem outside of your home.

paradiss9

Levittown, NY

Will this PON Card have any affect on my TV Service?

zippoboy7

USA

Yes it does, it is basically the device on the other end of the fiber that controls the light waves that come and go over the fiber to the ONT at your home. I had a problem with a PON card when I first got the service years ago, it caused the local SD versions of the broadcast networks to go offline every day starting at 8pm and ending at 2am when the card reset (This was back before they removed the Analog channels and the problem only effected the digital SD channels), in my case it only took about 2 weeks to fix and only after I called in a favor from the district manager who expedited the replacement.

paradiss9

Levittown, NY

All of the HD Set top boxes are playing fine while the router wont received and internet connection. Guess that would rule out a PON Card issue?

zippoboy7

USA

Not really, like I said I had an issue that only effected the some of the TV side (Local SD Digital channels 2-49) while the inet/phone/99% of the TV channels worked fine but the card controls the TV/Inet/Phone and all the authentication onto the network. Based on what I was told it is possible for part of the card to fail while the rest continues to work and that the card goes through some kind of reset cycle every so many hours which is why my problem would go away after several hours. I am sure the cards can fail in different ways so while I cant say that the card you are hooked to is bad it is just one explanation as to what could be happening to cause your issue.