Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

iLearn

join:2013-01-16
canada

Need opinion on moving to Whitby, ON - please

Hi all,

We are planning on moving to Whitby in the next few months. Mostly because of the sq ft you get for the price but we have been getting mixed feedback about the area/neighborhood in general. We know a couple of people from Whitby and they seem to like it.

Any specific area we should focus on? or avoid?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON

Buying or renting?

Whitby is generally good.. a few rough patches but not many...

If renting do not rent at White Oaks (bad neighbourhood)

If buying,, what type of house are you loking for (older, newer, semi, etc)
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

iLearn

canada

Hi,

We are planning on buying - no older than 10 years.

What are some good areas to look?

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by iLearn:

Hi,

We are planning on buying - no older than 10 years.

What are some good areas to look?

Brooklin. I always liked it.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to iLearn

No older than 10 years than I would look in North Whitby (called Williamsburg area)...

»maps.google.ca/maps?q=williamsbu···&iwloc=A
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to donoreo

Brooklin is nice.. but add another 10 mins to your drive from the 401 if you are commuting (it is alread about 10 mins from where I suggested)

Unless you use the 407 then it is no issue as the 407 is expanding to Brooklin now
--

iLearn

canada
reply to iLearn

Thanks. At first we consider Brooklin but then the drive to 401 is more like 15-20 min. Say 15 min, which is still 30 min just to get on/off the freeway.

We dont want to depend on 407 because it costs money every time you get on it.

We were also thinking about Stouffville but again, same thing - distance from 401 and there is no Hospital there. the closest one is in Markham (and i am not a big fan of Markham)

So I guess, we are sticking with Whitby. But yea, houses in Brooklin are amazing.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

North Ajax is not bad too... and probably cheaper comapred to Whitby

wopr

join:2001-01-06
Whitby, ON
reply to iLearn

Just moved to Brooklin a year ago, couldn't be happier.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to iLearn

When I was looking for a house, there was a trade off, I could get a bigger house outside the city for the same money, but then I'd have to "commute".

I don't relish the thought of having to spend an hour or more a day sitting in my car to commute to my home in the "burbs".

Then I thought about GO, but being in the NW they only had 3 trains (at the time) each way, and what would curtail into my after work activities (not necessarily going to the local pub to drink).
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

Witby, North Ajax, Brooklin, these are all good neighbourhoods, the only problem with the GO is that its not really that convenient, yeah there is a go train in whitby and ajax, but not everyone works in downtown toronto near union station, not everyone works a 8 to 4:30 job, so driving to and from those neighbourhoods is a must. i say go ahead with it, once metrolinks takes over the ttc and duram transit, and intrgrates it, you could take the duram transit and then transfer to the ttc without re-paying for a fare again, but only time will tell before we get that one.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to iLearn

Unless you're downsizing big time why not rent and watch your rent fall as hundreds of thousands lose their house to the bank in foreclosure? Prices should fall at least 33 percent in Whitby and much more as you get closer to Toronto.

iLearn

canada
reply to iLearn

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I know Brooklin is golden but the drive from Brooklin to 401 is going to be horrible. I have been told that it could take up to 20-25 min easily during rush hours.

We were there on Sat and did a lot of search and just like BigSensFan said Williamsburg is the best area by far. I am talking about Taunton and Brock st intersection.

iLearn

canada
reply to iLearn

There has not been a lot of activity in terms of houses for sale in Whitby (Williamsburg Community) and we wanted to explore Ajax just in case.

Someone mentioned North Ajax, what major intersection are we talking about? What intersections to avoid? I have read mixed reviews about Ajax.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

Rossland on the south ..east west I would say Audley to Salem

iLearn

canada

These are good or bad?

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to iLearn

Whitby is a beautiful sane middle class suburb, my co-worker lives there and I have been there numerous times, it's the perfect blend.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to iLearn

Those were the good areas of Ajax I posted

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to iLearn

I lived in Brooklin for over 10 years in the original Tribute built subdivision. If you like peace and quiet, its the place to be. The streets might as well roll up at dark. If you work a 9 to 5 job, the commute will kill you, even more so if there is bad weather, or so I have been told, as I have never worked 9 to 5.

Everything is a short drive away into Whitby, or north into Port Perry. Its also great if you drive north or east. It puts you in the perfect position. Brooklin also gives you many different ways to get into Toronto if one route is down.

Whitby is a great town. Someone said it best, working class middle family. Never had any issues in Whitby. Love the area, and will move back in a second to Whitby/Brooklin. Taxes can be a killer, back then we were paying just over 6K a year to Whitby and the Region.

travisc

join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON
reply to iLearn

The neighbourhood just west of Brock and south of Victoria St is generally nice as well, and you're close to the 401 and GO station.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to BigSensFan

North Ajax isn't cheaper than Whitby... but it's nice. Love Ajax

If you are looking for SQ footage though, North Oshawa is the place to look... or a house that's 50+ years old... 10 year old houses still have the smaller foot prints.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

mjr2308

join:2013-02-11
Cobourg, ON
reply to iLearn

If you are considering Brooklin, you should maybe also consider 15-20mins east down the 401. I grew up in Whitby and Brooklin, but the commuter traffic during rush hour is crazy. It can somtimes take 15 mins just to get from one side of Brooklin to the other. Courtice and Bowmanville are great alternatives that have all of the amenities...if you drive to work....at much more affordable prices. But do beware...things are not looking good for the future of the housing market in the East Durham Region, what with GM folding up. Good Luck!!

iLearn

canada

Thanks. No Brooklin for sure. We will stick with Whitby - maybe Ajax.

iLearn

canada

Hi Again,

Have not found anything yet in Whitby (Williamsburg). Also, things have changed a little bit for us.

Any recommendations for good neighborhoods in Oshawa. What areas to avoid.

travisc

join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON

Stay north. South of the 401 is bad news, as is Taunton Road area around Simcoe/Ritson. I've heard the development just north of UOIT/Durham College is teeming with college students, filling up the houses like crazy. Probably best to avoid there.

Gza14

join:2002-12-31
Scarborough, ON
reply to iLearn

Just bought a house by Harmony/ Taunton last year, right around this time.

Love the area (almost too quiet, even!), and the Smart Centre covers most of your shopping needs. About 15-20 minutes to the GO via side streets; much less during off-hours via 401.

CyberCam

join:2008-04-21
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to iLearn

Whitby is an amazing place to live, although the taxes are on the high scale, I've live here since '91. There is only one small area that I consider a ghetto-ish area and that's White Oaks (4x high-rise buildings located on Hwy2 between Lakeridge Rd. & Brock St.), but the surrounding areas are very nice.

One thing with Whitby, is when houses go up for sale, they usually go very quickly. So if you find something you like, move on it quickly.

Oh... BTW, Welcome to Whitby (in advance).

Cheers!

iLearn

canada

said by CyberCam:

Whitby is an amazing place to live, although the taxes are on the high scale, I've live here since '91. There is only one small area that I consider a ghetto-ish area and that's White Oaks (4x high-rise buildings located on Hwy2 between Lakeridge Rd. & Brock St.), but the surrounding areas are very nice.

One thing with Whitby, is when houses go up for sale, they usually go very quickly. So if you find something you like, move on it quickly.

Oh... BTW, Welcome to Whitby (in advance).

I hear ya. We really liked one house there in Whitby which was sold in 1 day. If a house is priced right in Williamsburg then it will sell really fast. Now our realtor sends us all listings right away before it even goes on MLS which takes about 1-2 days. This is about the only way you can jump on the house you like and put an offer.

So far, we have not found the right place.

Thx

iLearn

canada
reply to iLearn

Ok, how about the 'Brooklin' community in Whitby? If we take hwy 7 to Markham - how is the traffic there in rush hour? I will try to avoid 401 if moved to Brooklin, any opinions?

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

The 407 is being expanded to Brooklin as we speak.. (not sure of the completion date)

I am not too sure about traffic currently on HWY 7 though
--