All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
HKPolice
join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON

HKPolice

Is bit torrent traffic throttled in Toronto on Cable?

I'm considering a switch to Start cable from TSI, but I need to know if bit torrent traffic is throttled. I heard that Aggregated POI would allow Rogers' DPI to do their thing which means whatever throttling Rogers implements would be forced onto this service?

Also, has Start implemented any youtube caching servers? I've been having issues with streaming 1080p youtube content @ peak hours for the last 2-3 months. It would stop to buffer every minute or so, but streams fine when off peak hours. Can any current Start users report on youtube speeds during peak hours?

Thanks
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

It's not throttled.
arshad14
join:2007-03-04
L8B0M3

arshad14 to HKPolice

to HKPolice
I have seen that happen to me too regardless of whether I'm using my Laptop, Tablet, or Phone but I don't know if Start is doing such a thing.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

No, we're not doing any throttling.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by rocca:

That, we kinda knew already.

But how about big Red ?

Thx.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

When you think about it, it doesn't make any sense for the incumbents to throttle Independent ISP's. That would mean less money for them. The more capacity the IISP's use, the more money the incumbents make.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by silvercat:

When you think about it, it doesn't make any sense for the incumbents to throttle Independent ISP's. That would mean less money for them. The more capacity the IISP's use, the more money the incumbents make.

Agreed. But that's not how they think, as we all know from past experience.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to mlord

to mlord
said by mlord:

said by rocca:

That, we kinda knew already.

But how about big Red ?

They don't throttle Start customers either.